FAQ & DIY Frequently Asked Questions & Do It Yourself- Sedan and Coupe. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: GroundingGear™

It's a 5 wire set up with the same gauge, connectors, and brand name wire that you're using. It doesn't matter how I obtained it, but I will continue the tradition if I decide my bay looks more cluttered and "themeless" than pleasing. So far I'm leaning towards cluttered, aimless, and themeless but we'll see how the hoses and plenum bring it together (or apart).

Claims that I read stated that the most dramatic difference would be found with the 5 wire kit. My two subjects and I found none, for whatever reason, and that's my report. I have a 2004.5 AT with 2000 miles on her. I don't wish to debate its merits or pitfalls anymore, rather I wanted to try it for myself and see, despite my reasoning that there was no evidence it worked, or should work. Then I wanted to share my report, like so many others here have.

Ted,
I understand the theory and agree with the physics. However the ground of the G35 is ".09" according to Infiniti Tech (I don't even know what this means) which according to him is near perfect and leaps and bounds above your typical automobile.

The other thing, regardless of what InfinitiTech has shared, I know is that the MAF is most susceptible to ground loops and the component most likely to interfere with the driveability of your car if it is interfered with. It is designed to deliver a correct voltage of air mass in grams to the ECU for proper fuel delivery. If the ground at the MAF is different than the ground at the battery, then you probably have a bad ground and it may send an incorrect signal to the ECU resulting in a lean or rich condition.

Biggest enemy of a ground is corrosion or bad connection. Maybe I just don't have enough corrosion in my wiring yet, maybe you just don't feel the benefits of the kit unless you pay for it. I don't know, but I wanted to share my findings as I was challenged to try it for myself and share. No ana. Cheers.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but chin spoiler/Z Tube-Popcharger/Crawford V5 Plenum on the way

Old 05-13-2004, 05:56 PM

The endless debate. Did our friend really give the grounding kit a chance to work or was he so negative about it before he installed it that any gains would be dismissed as a placebo effect? When I started I tried to be netural like my good engineering workmates trained me to be. I've heard both sides where no difference was noticed and everything worked better.

I've had my car almost 7 months now and have put almost 8000 miles on it. I've driven it every day in that 7 month period and I think I should now how my car behaves as I'm a creature of habit. I put about 30 miles a day on my car driving the same routes with the same driving style. Its been about 2 1/2 weeks now where I had the kit installed. Like I said before they must have tweaked the 2004 coupes as my car already idles pretty good before and after the install.. So no difference felt there...

Smoothness and Throtle response was more of a subtle difference and maybe it was a placebo effect on this but it seems the more I drive it the more I notice a difference in the throtle response for the better.

What has impressed me and what has made me a happy camper is the way the Manual Mode reacts now. Its a huge difference and there is no way its a placebo effect before the kit was installed it seemed to be a stubborn partner that took a little too long in getting into the next gear now it does my bidding without hesitiation. It makes me smile every time I engage it...

I've now gone through 3 tanks of gas and the last fillup I did showed a increase of about 1.5 mpg over the first two tanks after the install. Once again this is with me driving 30 miles a day in city driving conditions. With the weather being about the same. I'll reserve judgement on weather the kit has improved the gas mileage until the end of the summer.

Oh yeah one last pick at my buddy but it doesn't sound like you drive your car that much so a week might not be a good enough a period to make judgements especially since it sounds like you got engineering blood running through those veins of yours.

Ah its funning doing this and like everyone else results may vary on your experience. By the way Catatafish did you pick that user name because of a certain SouthPark Show?

By the way I'm not trying to be a jerk about anything I enjoy this debate a lot so hopefully no offense has been taken.

Cheers to everyone and happy hunting!

James

Old 05-14-2004, 08:21 AM

James,
I drive about 15K a year. I'm not an engineer and I don't play one on TV. I am however, a bright, logical, open minded adult that has seen quite a bit and that doesn't like to be fooled more than once on the same topic. In other words, I didn't go into this trying to disprove it. I'm a skeptic but fair, logical, and I trust, but verify. I try to make all of my life decisions based on reason (not necessarily logic). I went into this with an open mind and like I've stated before, I really wanted this thing to work!

I don't dis-believe that you feel some changes with your car. I can't say whether they are real or placebo because I am not you, and I cannot feel what you feel. Nor can I test your car or measure any differences. Thus, I cannot believe or disbelieve that they have made a difference on your car. All I can do is report on what MY results were. I looked at it objectively with an open mind, and I even tried to use some semblance of a scientific test to measure what I could. Either way, there were no discernible differences FOR ME on MY CAR.

Best I can figure is that some cars have less than optimal ground and maybe this helps.. I don't know. This has been an interesting debate for me also, and I hold no animosity for you or your opinion, and yes, I am the one who helped Mr. Lemmiwinks escape . Cheers!

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but chin spoiler/Z Tube-Popcharger/Crawford V5 Plenum on the way

Old 05-14-2004, 01:26 PM

Good old Lemmiwinks!!! There are suppose to have a upcoming episode with him in it.

My respect for you just went up a point or two. LOL.

By the way are you still enjoying that Gtech Pro Competition device. I had the crappy old style a few years ago.

James

Old 05-14-2004, 02:13 PM

That's funny, it costs me a point or two with the people I work with .

The G Tech Comp is pretty cool....I'm getting really consistent times on the 1/4 mile and 0-60, and consistent times with the HP, but I can't seem to get the HP right completely because of the unknown weight I'm dealing with. If you know the curb weight of a fully loaded Coupe without the front spoiler, and the frontal area in square feet, let me know.

Old 05-24-2004, 08:34 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, there is no doubt about it! Shifting is much better.
I don't need no stinking TCU software update, just more wires!
HeHe

2003 TwBlue 5AT Sedan, sunroof,
Graphite Leather, splashguards, HKS exhaust,
14 wire Grounding kit, 350Z duct, Stillen CAI
Underbody rear diffusers, Drilled alum pedals

Old 05-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Re: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

Does anyone know when you install kit if you remove all the factory grounds? Or Put them back on with the grounding kit, In particular where the Front Wires are, Cable5.

Old 05-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread

The H-G system suppliements the existing ground system. It's important to connect the OEM ground system to the H-G wires! The difference is noticeable at some points, especially the one at the front of the G35.

<font color=blue>[i]GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 05-30-2004, 11:01 AM
Administrator

I’ve been trying to get GroundingGear™ into the major local Mazda Dealership since last summer, especially now with the popularity of the 3 and 6. The GM has been skeptical, despite GroundingGear™ being offered at many of the other dealerships.

R.F. finally agreed to have me do one of his cars, to see if he could notice any effects, but wanted to present me with a challenge. He had me do his MazdaSpeed Miata, one of the first in Canada, which he has become very familiar with, and has been driving very aggressively. With a turbo, he didn’t think he would notice much difference in performance.

I installed the GroundingGear™ system, and we went for a quick drive. He reported an immediate difference in the elimination of a ‘raspiness’ of the engine before we even left the dealership. He said it seemed to rev much more easily as we drove away. As we conversed, he noted that he has never been able to take it above 6400 RPM previously, and we had already hit 6800 to 7000 RPM on several occasions. He was very excited about this as he often drives the MazdaSpeed at the upper RPMs.

I’ve heard others report that GroundingGear™ seems to raise the rev limiter and had always wondered why this would happen. He stated that he has previously spoken with the engineers, and the rev-limiter is based not only on RPM, but vibration as well. So with increased smoothness, the ECU no longer need to limit to a lower RPM!

He felt that the there seemed to be more torque as there was a much less noticeable power/response transition when the turbo kicks in. I told him this was also reported in the WRX where the turbo transition is much more dramatic.

As we pulled back into the Dealership, he yelled to one of his senior staff that was awaiting our return, “It’s Voodoo!” The other fellow took the car for a drive and reported feeling the same effects as R.F. though he wasn’t briefed on what to expect. “But I’m not as familiar with the car as Richard is.”

The dealership is now having me do the showroom MazdaSpeed, calling it the “GroundingGear™ MazdaSpeed Miata” (informally, or a joke?, I’m not sure) as well as the other MazdaSpeeds that come in!

He promises to give me written feedback on his further impressions next week.

266651-IMG_0188 copy.jpg

Old 05-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Grounding Installed w/Pics

gordgee or whomever may be able to answer,

I just installed 6 of my 7 wire kit. I took some nice pics, which if correct, I can make a nice DIY with. I would just appreciate someone checking the connections to ensure that they are attached at the proper sites. The ones that I wasn't 100% sure about are where wires 1, 4, 5, 6 come together up front. I put 1 and 4 on the left and 5 and 6 on the right...you'll see in the pics. Here they are (Pics are large 1mb+):

<a href="http://www.shaunmathur.com/_images/G35/g35_wires/01,02,03Left.jpg">Wires 1, 2, 3 Left Side of Engine</a>
<a href="http://www.shaunmathur.com/_images/G35/g35_wires/01,04Left05,06Right.jpg">Wires 1, 4 Left-Front Side and 5, 6 Right-Font Side of Engine</a>
<a href="http://www.shaunmathur.com/_images/G35/g35_wires/02LeftOuter.jpg">Wire 2 Left Outer Side</a>
<a href="http://www.shaunmathur.com/_images/G35/g35_wires/02LeftOuter2.jpg">Wire 2 Left Outer Side - Again</a>
<a href="http://www.shaunmathur.com/_images/G35/g35_wires/03Battery.jpg">Wire 3 Battery</a>
<a href="http://www.shaunmathur.com/_images/G35/g35_wires/03BatteryWire.jpg">Wire 3 Battery Hole In Rubber</a>
<a href="http://www.shaunmathur.com/_images/G35/g35_wires/03BatteryWire2.jpg">Wire 3 Battery Hole In Rubber - Again</a>
<a href="http://www.shaunmathur.com/_images/G35/g35_wires/04LeftTop.jpg">Wire 4 Left-Top Side of Engine</a>
<a href="http://www.shaunmathur.com/_images/G35/g35_wires/05RightTop.jpg">Wire 5 Right-Top Side of Engine</a>
<a href="http://www.shaunmathur.com/_images/G35/g35_wires/06RightOuter.jpg">Wire 6 Right Outer Side</a>
<a href="http://www.shaunmathur.com/_images/G35/g35_wires/06RightOuter2.jpg">Wire 6 Right Outer Side - Again</a>
<a href="http://www.shaunmathur.com/_images/G35/g35_wires/EngineBayFront.jpg">Engine Bay Front</a>
<a href="http://www.shaunmathur.com/_images/G35/g35_wires/EngineBayFront2.jpg">Engine Bay Front - Again</a>
<a href="http://www.shaunmathur.com/_images/G35/g35_wires/EngineBayLeft.jpg">Engine Bay Left</a>
<a href="http://www.shaunmathur.com/_images/G35/g35_wires/EngineBayRight.jpg">Engine Bay Right</a>

2003 G35 Sedan 5AT
{Z-Tube} {JWT_POP_Chrgr.} {V1} {21%_Tint} {Matte_Race_Pdls} {Blck_w/Grpht_Lthr} {Prm_Pkg.} {Sprt_Tuned} {Wntr-Sprt} {Nav.} {Xenon} {Sunroof} {Aero-Body_Kit_w/Spoiler} {Trunk_Mat}

Old 05-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Administrator
Re: Grounding Installed w/Pics

That's a common mistake. Connect all the wires (on the front engine ground point) to the same spot, your choice, left or right. Also important to move the factory ground wires to this same point. You want all the wires to be part of the same H-G system path. Hope that helps.

Old 05-30-2004, 12:58 PM

I am going to need a longer 10mm bolt then. What size do you suggest? I'll then put together a DIY in word or acrobat and link it here.

coolie

2003 G35 Sedan 5AT
{Z-Tube} {JWT_POP_Chrgr.} {V1} {21%_Tint} {Matte_Race_Pdls} {Blck_w/Grpht_Lthr} {Prm_Pkg.} {Sprt_Tuned} {Wntr-Sprt} {Nav.} {Xenon} {Sunroof} {Aero-Body_Kit_w/Spoiler} {Trunk_Mat}

Old 05-30-2004, 02:58 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple of pics....

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
G35Driver.com Business Cards

266713-Engine No Cover Grounding Kit 2.jpg

Old 05-30-2004, 02:59 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
G35Driver.com Business Cards

266714-Battery No Cover Grounding Kit.jpg

Old 05-30-2004, 03:30 PM
Administrator
GroundingGear™

The pics look great,TrentaCinque! I hope the machine cut ends of the GroundingGear™ negative terminal wires made it easy for you to put on those great looking Stinger terminals![img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I am going to need a longer 10mm bolt then. What size do you suggest?

<hr></blockquote>Use a M6 20mm bolt and washer for the front ground cluster. Try to find grade 8.8 or better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hyper-Ground (Earthing) Kit Resource Thread