Tint laws in Florida

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tint laws in Florida

I'm moving to Florida next month and I was curious as to exactly how the tint laws work down there. I have 26% tint, but I understand that Florida only allows down to 28% light transmission.

Is there a margin of error? In NC they only allow down to 32%, but offically it's 35% allowing for error.

Is tint part of the safety inspection or something seperate when you get tint and have the sticker certifying the tint it legal?

Thanks.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Still2Slow
I'm moving to Florida next month and I was curious as to exactly how the tint laws work down there. I have 26% tint, but I understand that Florida only allows down to 28% light transmission.

Is there a margin of error? In NC they only allow down to 32%, but offically it's 35% allowing for error.

Is tint part of the safety inspection or something seperate when you get tint and have the sticker certifying the tint it legal?

Thanks.
No safety inspection in FL but there is a new vehicle VIN verification inspection required through your insurance. You will also be assessed a fee for bringing the vehicle into the state. Your insurance agent should be able to give you more information. Apparently, FL has more insurance fraud. Go figure!

Old 01-14-2008, 01:15 PM
I actually think it is in the 3x% range for the driver's/passenger's side front windows only, but I am too lazy to look up the statute. The back windows can be spray painted black as long as you have an outside mirror...

Anyway, they cannot make you take it off, just give you a ticket if you get caught. That said, I am in my late 30's and have 20% tint all the way around and through multiple tickets and pull overs for various things, I have never once even been asked about it by the lawman...

I wouldn't worry one bit...

Old 01-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You should be OK with your tint setup. I know a few guys here who have tint as dark as 5% and have never run into issues with the law. Not like other states, we don't have a safety inspection per se, although every vehicle owner applying for new FL insurance must go through a brief vehicle inspection as required by the insurance company but it's really nothing.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:00 PM
No DMV safety inspection! That's great to know. I guess this is how everyone gets away with running TPs down there or so I've heard.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Easein2itG
You will also be assessed a fee for bringing the vehicle into the state. Your insurance agent should be able to give you more information. Apparently, FL has more insurance fraud. Go figure!
I read somewhere that if I've owned the vehicle in another state for 6 months they probably won't charge me.... or was this taxes?

Old 01-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
u wont have anything to worrk about with ur 26%. thats light! i have 2% tint which is as dark as it gets and ive been pulled 10-15 throughtout 2 years with my G =/ i got around 7 tickets and the rest warnings! it either dark as hell or no tint for me so now i just carry my most recent ticket on me and say i am in the process of getting it removed lol it worked last week!

Old 01-14-2008, 02:09 PM
brb getting cut
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The law is 28% for the front windows, 15% for the back and rear windows, and nothing below the AS-1 strip on the windshield.

Where exactly in Florida do you plan to move to though? South Florida cops pretty much could give a damn about tint laws. I have 5% all around and 50% on the windshield. Cops dont even take a second look at me.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
it just depends on where u are driving in florida and how bad the cops want to mess with you!!! j/k lol

Old 01-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I read somewhere that if I've owned the vehicle in another state for 6 months they probably won't charge me.... or was this taxes?
You're correct on the taxes. As it was explained to me, the insurance companies are trying to deter the massive amounts of vehicles filtering through the state of FL. The new fee is similiar to the Impact Tax that was implemented in the early 90's and later found unconstitutional. The new fees are capped but based on a % of the vehicles value. Call your insurance agent and get it straight from them.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:05 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I have 5% allaround and 15 on the windshield

Old 01-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by M.I.A. BlazinVQ
The law is 28% for the front windows, 15% for the back and rear windows, and nothing below the AS-1 strip on the windshield.

Where exactly in Florida do you plan to move to though? South Florida cops pretty much could give a damn about tint laws. I have 5% all around and 50% on the windshield. Cops dont even take a second look at me.
Pinellas County. I remember the last time I was in South Florida.... people passing me on the shoulder of i-195 while I was going 70 in a 55 and tailgating cops. I've been to LA and nothing compared to the aggression I saw on the road. I guess cops in SoFla are preoccupied with other more serious crimes.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Pinellas County. I remember the last time I was in South Florida.... people passing me on the shoulder of i-195 while I was going 70 in a 55 and tailgating cops. I've been to LA and nothing compared to the aggression I saw on the road. I guess cops in SoFla are preoccupied with other more serious crimes.
I just moved from Pinellas into Hillsborough and I can tell you the cops don't give me any grief about tint, I run 18% all around on both my cars.

Law is 25F/15R

Old 01-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
No one in florida cares. My truck is limo all the way around and i have had it 5 years without any problems. My g now is tinted limo in the rear 20 in the front and i think 50 on the windsheild....its dark as *****.

Anyways, no problems yet. Knock on wood.

-Sean

Old 01-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, in florida you have to be doing some stupid **** to get pulled over haha. The only thing they will nail you for every time is running red lights. It is a huge problem in florida. People wont stop unless the light is REDDDDD if it is yellow then no one even bothers to slow down. So if you are moving here when your light turns green be sure to look both ways before going because people run them non stop. To get pulled over for speeding you have to be doing like 15+ i cruise next to FHP at 80-85mph in 70 mph and they never do anything they just smile and give me a thumbs up.

-Sean

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tint laws in Florida