how do you protect your G during hurricane season?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Received 355 Likes on 215 Posts
how do you protect your G during hurricane season?

i know we havent gotten a big storm since 05, but what would you or do you do? i dont have a garage so im going to park by an open space away from trees, and im looking into a car cover.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I would park in a parking garage.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
iz this a trick question ? lol

Old 08-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gilley

+1. If you don't have a garage, look for a municipal or private parking garage. Park on the interior. I've done it a couple times.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be taking my G to my parent's house in north AL out of harm's way!

Old 08-18-2008, 12:27 AM
yeh i would find a parking garage. I had a 1 car garage at my last house and my MDX at the time was in the garage, but, my wifes car was outside and nearly got hit by a tree. Cant find the picture but i had a 15 foot palm tree fall right onto my driveway and branches and leaves were on the front of her car. GLad i have 3 garages now. GOod luck if we get hit. Im hoping we dont get anything, sick of putting on teh shutters, even thought i havent put them on in my new house, dreading that.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by Gilley
Yeah, this is exactly what I'm planning on doing if it gets stronger and comes this way. Just park in one of the interior spaces.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont have a garage or a parking garage near by (closest would be a mall about 45 minutes away). Would you guys recommend parking in a parking lot such as a target or walmart? No trees, but possible debris from shipping carts.

^ not trying to be a smartass at all, just looking for options. Thanks fellas

Old 08-18-2008, 02:25 AM
Received 355 Likes on 215 Posts
from another site:

Thanks to sophisticated weather tracking systems, most people now have several days’ notice when a hurricane is headed their way. Everyone takes time to board up their homes, stock up on canned goods, and even plan on evacuation routes if needed – but most people forget about protecting their car from the ravages of Mother Nature. Between rising floodwaters, flying debris, and the amazing levels of air pressure that can develop during a hurricane, your car can be a target when disaster strikes. Although most insurance policies cover this sort of damage, a little bit of prevention will keep you from having to file a claim in the first place.

Because there’s usually some degree of notice before a hurricane makes landfall, the first thing you’ll need to decide is whether or not you’re going to evacuate. If you decide to ride the storm out, protect your car by getting it to higher ground. If you’re in a coastal area, remember that storm surge will bring tidewaters in much further than normal – and certain times of year bring a lunar tide, which can send flood waters in hundreds of yards past the normal high tide mark.

The most obvious damage from floodwater is to the exterior of your car. Unfortunately, when the tides come rolling in, the inner workings of your vehicle may be affected as well. Electrical systems can become corroded with salt-water damage, and if water gets up into your engine, there’s a good chance your vehicle won’t start at all.

During a hurricane, winds can reach up to 150 miles per hour – and a wind that strong can fling all kinds of things at your car. Your best bet is to get your vehicle covered, preferably into a garage. This will not only protect it from water damage, but also from debris. If you don’t have a garage, make sure you park the car away from items that could fall on it – telephone poles, trees, signs, or other potentially hazardous objects.

If you’re leaving your car outside, consider taping your windows. Using masking tape, make a crisscross pattern across the windows. While experts disagree on whether taping prevents windows from breaking, it certainly does make the cleanup a lot easier if they DO break.

From a practical standpoint, during hurricane season you should always make sure you keep a full tank of gas and some emergency supplies in your car. Following a hurricane, it may be hard to get gasoline due to power outages, and the last thing you want is to be stranded somewhere simply because you forgot to fill up.

Remember, you should never try to take shelter in your car during a hurricane. Most automobiles can be swept away by rising waters of only two feet, and there’s a risk of breaking glass due to the air pressure changes in a hurricane.

After the hurricane has passed, check your car for damage. You may even want to have it looked over by a professional mechanic, so that you can file any insurance claims promptly. Be sure to stay out of flooded areas and away from downed lines when you’re driving in the storm’s aftermath.

An important thing to keep in mind about hurricane preparations is that whatever steps you’re going to take, take early. Prepare a family disaster plan, and keep it simple, so that all family members are able to remember what to do in the event of an emergency. Don’t wait until the last minute, because if something goes wrong, the cost could be deadly.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:50 AM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
i hope this thing aint gonna be that bad,

Old 08-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Just got word of the hurricane when I came into work....only thing is i'm deployed haha. Figures. Now have to worry about getting someone to drive my G somewhere safe. Thinking about the Airport. Best of luck to everyone back home, keep those G's safe!

Old 08-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by BLacK_G35_CouPe
I dont have a garage or a parking garage near by (closest would be a mall about 45 minutes away). Would you guys recommend parking in a parking lot such as a target or walmart? No trees, but possible debris from shipping carts.

^ not trying to be a smartass at all, just looking for options. Thanks fellas

Your best bet is to go hit up the Avenues Parking Garage just before the storm hits and ride it out. I wouldn't recommend any of the big parking lots in your area, too risky of flying debris.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Pods

Old 08-18-2008, 10:20 PM
A lot of the dealerships down here put their cars in the mall parking garages and in the public transit bus garages. Will def. do next time when a hurricane rolls around.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by eljoker
Pods

VERY cool idea never thought of that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how do you protect your G during hurricane season?