anyone have a carputer w/ 7in touch screen in non nav cubby

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone have a carputer w/ 7in touch screen in non nav cubby

Does anyone here in orlando have a carputer in their 05-06 G? I want to put one in mine and am running into some issues fitting a 7in touch screen where the non nav cubby is. wanted to possibly take a look at someone elses who has already done this to see how it looks. i know it can be done but i want to see how you have modified your cubby to squeeze it in there. i'm trying to get another cubby to experiment with different setups outside the car before i start installing but still haven't found one. i'm near the hunters creek area here in orlando. any help/input from any of ya would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can't find anyone local to help, you could try searching/posting in this forum.

https://g35driver.com/forums/car-pc-175/

I found a lot of good info in there when I was thinking about putting a carpc in my car.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Banned
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
yo have you ever came out to any of our meets? I was in the process of buying a car computer for the cubby hole also but wanted to see one in person before purchasing. I have a double din installed already and tought man that would be TIght to have 2 screens.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:05 PM
haven't had a chance to make it to a meet yet, been busy and traveling with work. i've been searching on g35driver and 6mt.net as well as mp3car.com for as much info as i can find. i would still love to see one in person. i know that digital wheelz made a custom mount for the cubby for 05-06 which they no longer sell and i can't find one used, besides, no way i'm gonna pay over 300.00 for a mount...that's more than the screen costs. i am totally ready to do my own fab. just waiting on someone to sell me an upper non nav cubby so i can experiment with it

Old 04-11-2009, 12:53 PM
I recently installed a 7" touchscreen in my 05 no-nav cubby. I was originally going to build a case to go around it so that the screen could fit inside the cubby. This requires taking most of the center console and radio out and redesigning the bottom part of the cubby to fit the touchscreen and then fit the original lid. You're going to need more than an original cubby to experiment with I would think. It was a royal PITA and I ended up giving up and just making a simple aluminum bracket to hold the screen above the cubby, between the cubby and the clock. I will get a black embroidered cover or something for the screen later. If you get a method for mounting the screen inside the cubby, please let me know. I would be very interested.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Banned
You should check out Junk~N~the Truck they sell car pc's i believe and small LCD screens that can fit inside of our cubby hole. they have 3 locations in the orlando area. it's worth looking into.

Here is their website. I know it is a crappy site. but i know they sell what you are looking for.
http://www.bigdiggler.com/

Last edited by Evil Wayzz; 04-11-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:50 PM
i have already priced and found all of the stuff i need to do this, pc parts, adapter for back of HU, and screen for under 600....i'm gonna build the pc myself (i'm an IT tech) so it shouldn't be too big a deal. a buddy of mine i work with put a carputer with 7" touch screen in his mazda 6 and he is awesome at installing that stuff. i'm lookin at the intel atom mother board, 1.6Ghz, 2GB of ram, DC to DC 150w power supply, 160GB HD and the lilliput or xenarc 7" touch screen, still tryin to decide which front end i'm gonna use, frodo looks alright for now, (might throw the ps3 in there too). i just wanna make sure its gonna fit without f'in my car up. i found a guy here in orlando near ocoee with a wrecked 05 that i am getting the non nav cubby out of on monday night for 20 bills. once i get that then i can take the screen measurements and start to mock up how i wanna do it on the out of car cubby....i'm probably gonna end up cutting some of the cubby out to let the screen fit inside it, its like 3 or 4 mm to big to fit right in so maybe groove the sides of the cubby and chop the bottom out, put some rails on the sides for the unit to slide up and down on....we'll see what happens,but i'd still like to see someones who has it done. this is really my only option, don't want double din, and mp3car.com doesn't sell the mount for the 05-06 cubby anymore.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Banned
Well Good luck soon as you finish i would like to see pictures.

BUT i must say This is the Best car PC i have seen eVER!!!!!
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...eva-carpc.html