Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

BOV Kit for the JWT TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BOV Kit for the JWT TT

-----PRESS RELEASE-----

Owners of the Jim Wolf Technology 350Z/G35 Twin Turbo Kit find themselves in possession of what is arguably the best turbo kit on the market today. With it’s useable power band and unnoticeable turbo lag, the twin Garrett/JWT -Sport 530BB Dual Ceramic Ball-bearing turbochargers make for a fantastic force induction upgrade to these VQ35's. The kit includes two cast manifolds, two ball-bearing turbochargers, FMU, fuel Pump, spark timing control module, JWT pop charger type intake w/ heat shield, oil pan spacer with oil return line kit, state of the art front mount intercooler, washer fluid relocation kit, coolant kit, charge-pipe kit, and all necessary hardware & instructions for a complete install. The JWT kit utilizes a BOSCH recirculating valve that although extremely efficient leaves something to be desired by some turbo owners, the benefits of the sound produced by an atmospheric Blow Off Valve.
Owners of the JWT were not left with many options when it came satisfying their aural desires. Other companies offer various other recirculating valves none of which produce a noticeable improvement in both boost stability and sound. Replacing a bypass valve with a push type blow off valve leads to stalling and idling issues with the JWT’s draw thru MAF set-up. The car would sound nice but consistent compressor surge and stalling led us to believe there was truly no benefit to this upgrade. If you were unaware of these issues and welded a flange in addition to closing the stock recirc ports you were in for some big time issues. After many customer and vendor demands the designers at Relentless Autosports sought out to tackle this issue. Because of their great reputation in the industry, Relentless Autosports sought out the help of GTSPEC to help design and implament this JWT TT BOV conversion kit.

Relentless Autosports along with GTSPEC went to work designing a BOV kit for JWT TT customers that not only performed well, but exceeded their strict goals for quality and craftsmanship. For this reason they turned to HKS to be the focus of their system. The SSQV utilizes a pull type system that not only stays shut under boost but also doesn’t open under partial throttle, which can create rich conditions that lead to stalling. By designing a truly bolt-on system we were able to eliminate the need to spend money having the stock JWT system converted to accept the SSQV. Using a purpose designed cast flange, OEM port plugs, SAMCO Sport hosing, and other necessary hardware, Relentless Autosports created and GTSPEC implemented a fully functional BOV conversion kit that allows JWT TT owners the benefits of HKS’ SSQV BOV in an easily reversible kit that has no stalling or idling issues. No retuning of the factory ECU or supplied Split Second box are necessary for this upgrade. It is a truly bolt-on application that will eliminate boost creep, fluctuating idle and the desire to hear an atmospheric Blow Off Valve.

PARTS list

1 - HKS Super SQV Blow Off Valve
1 - Relentless Autosports/GT SPEC Cast Flange for 350Z/G35
1 - OEM Port Plug for lower intake pipe
1 - GTSPEC/SAMCO Sport Silicone Hose
1 - HKS Inline Air Filter
1 - HKS Silicone Intake Port Hose
3 - 30mm Hose Clamps
4 - Black Wire Ties
1 - Installation Instructions

MSRP $455

Old 04-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Very nice Scott. I'm sure that will help sales of the JWT kit.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cool Scott, great job. Is this available/compatible with the upgraded JWT BB700 turbos? Is a dual setup, (2) HKS SSQV BOV's, possible? I would think that the dual setup would be able to keep up with the BB700 power/psi levels of 600hp+...

Thanks.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ZentraediG35
Very cool Scott, great job. Is this available/compatible with the upgraded JWT BB700 turbos? Is a dual setup, (2) HKS SSQV BOV's, possible? I would think that the dual setup would be able to keep up with the BB700 power/psi levels of 600hp+...

Thanks.
Thanks.
This is designed as a single intake/single BOV kit. A single SSQV is able to keep up just fine with the 700BB kit, and most any PSI or power levels that you could throw at it.

The following users liked this post:
FelikssG35 (05-29-2021)
Old 04-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I have always heard that a SSQV is only good to ~15-16psi. The big kit makes more than that.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:50 PM
sweet .. HKS SSQV FTMFW .. good job man

Old 04-10-2007, 03:15 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by ttrank
I have always heard that a SSQV is only good to ~15-16psi. The big kit makes more than that.
I have heard the same thing, but the new version of the SSQV that we use on this kit now seems to respond well with 18 PSI, so far, so good.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:25 PM
black with 155 thousand.
super old thread but I WOULD LOVE TO BUY THIS. NEW OR OLD lol

Old 05-29-2021, 11:33 PM
2007 G35 with only 36000 miles about to put the engine through the machine shop +JWT TT Kit I have
Instructions for BOV JWT

Originally Posted by wa2good
Thanks.
This is designed as a single intake/single BOV kit. A single SSQV is able to keep up just fine with the 700BB kit, and most any PSI or power levels that you could throw at it.
Hello Scott, where could I find instructions for installing a BOV on my JWT Kit, or will a professional know just what to do with the parts listed? Thank you very much for your time (if someone other than Scott could answer me also please do so, thank you - Feliks

Old 05-30-2021, 01:27 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
A professional will definitely know what to do, they'll know where in the system to install different types of BOV (atmo or recirc), they'll cut and weld your cold side in the appropriate locations, they'll have it work right the first time.

The problem though is the JWT system pulls through the MAF to feed the turbo, even this HKS BOV is going to cause issues because it's atmospherically dumping air that's already been metered. The JWT kit in it's original configuration really needs to be on a recirculated valve like how it ships originally so you aren't losing unmetered air.

If you want to atmo the BOV you would want to relocate the MAF up between the BOV and throttle body, the reason this isn't typically done on the VQ is the housing is plastic and really doesn't hold up well to high boost, 8 psi you'll probably be fine but anything higher and you risk breaking plastic or the gasket just not holding. Best bet is to eliminate the plastic MAF housing and bolt the actual sensor into another fabricated 2.5" to 3" tube (stock is like 2.5 but the factory MAF can work in a 3"). Then you can fab some kind of plate that fits over the MAF to help clamp it into place.

The only thing you "gain" with an atmo BOV is the noise though, unless you just gotta have all that WHOOSH sound when you let off the pedal just stick with the recirculated BOV that your kit already has.

FelikssG35 (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 02:53 PM
2007 G35 with only 36000 miles about to put the engine through the machine shop +JWT TT Kit I have
Thank you!

Originally Posted by cleric670
A professional will definitely know what to do, they'll know where in the system to install different types of BOV (atmo or recirc), they'll cut and weld your cold side in the appropriate locations, they'll have it work right the first time.

The problem though is the JWT system pulls through the MAF to feed the turbo, even this HKS BOV is going to cause issues because it's atmospherically dumping air that's already been metered. The JWT kit in it's original configuration really needs to be on a recirculated valve like how it ships originally so you aren't losing unmetered air.

If you want to atmo the BOV you would want to relocate the MAF up between the BOV and throttle body, the reason this isn't typically done on the VQ is the housing is plastic and really doesn't hold up well to high boost, 8 psi you'll probably be fine but anything higher and you risk breaking plastic or the gasket just not holding. Best bet is to eliminate the plastic MAF housing and bolt the actual sensor into another fabricated 2.5" to 3" tube (stock is like 2.5 but the factory MAF can work in a 3"). Then you can fab some kind of plate that fits over the MAF to help clamp it into place.

The only thing you "gain" with an atmo BOV is the noise though, unless you just gotta have all that WHOOSH sound when you let off the pedal just stick with the recirculated BOV that your kit already has.
I really appreciate your thorough and prompt answer Cleric670, thank you very much. You made a good point that that "whoosh" sound is the only thing gained, and perhaps we may do well to think about not distracting other drivers with it.

Old 05-30-2021, 07:22 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Either option really is fine, it mostly depends on what the build of the car is shaping up to be. If you're going full flaming ricer then yeah you want the sound of an atmo, if the car isn't running a bodykit, wild wheels, and a quieter exhaust it would feel inappropriate to be generating more noise from the BOV than is coming from the exhaust tips

If the car is somewhere in the middle then it may or may not work for the car, just go into the build with a plan of what you want the final picture to look like.

FelikssG35 (05-31-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 07:59 PM
G35

Either option really is fine, it mostly depends on what the build of the car is shaping up to be. If you're going full flaming ricer then yeah you want the sound of an atmo, if the car isn't running a bodykit, wild wheels, and a quieter exhaust it would feel inappropriate to be generating more noise from the BOV than is coming from the exhaust tips

If the car is somewhere in the middle then it may or may not work for the car, just go into the build with a plan of what you want the final picture to look like.
Yes, I see what you mean, my car is all stock, I have decided not to do anything to it until the engine is built and the Jim Wolf Twin turbo kit is in. (And after those upgrades I may just keep everything the way it is cosmetically unless it's tastefull) I actually went with the option of upgrading to the GTX2860 Turbo's so I really hope there isn't too much lag before the kik in because the engine will be built soon. I used to have a silver G35 a 2004 which lighter but that one was sold and when I later realized that I won't be able to turbo the 6er I found and brought a metalic red 2007 G35 from Atomic Motors, great place to find an awesome car by the, it was quite an adventure

Old 05-30-2021, 08:33 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yeah when it comes to turbo selection my best advice is to just call the manufacturer and give them a realistic idea of what you want to do and let THEM suggest a turbo. There's so much math, science, real world experience needed to pick the correct one for each application that there is no "one size fits all" that's going to make everyone happy. Let the guys who build them recommend what they think would be best for your build.

FelikssG35 (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 01:37 AM
G35

Yeah when it comes to turbo selection my best advice is to just call the manufacturer and give them a realistic idea of what you want to do and let THEM suggest a turbo. There's so much math, science, real world experience needed to pick the correct one for each application that there is no "one size fits all" that's going to make everyone happy. Let the guys who build them recommend what they think would be best for your build.
Yeah that is very good advice, thank you. I noticed that the GTX2860 Turbo's are one of the options that the Jim Wolf Twin turbo kit actually comes with so I had some relief after worrying that the turbo's I got should have been smaller so I could get that instant power. I did talk things over with two professionals wehreas one of them sujested the GTX2860's because they are the second generstion and maybe something about the compressor wheel being newer and better. The other one told me that he would go with the smaller turbo's because he would want that instant power but since I kept to what the other man told me in mind so when I chose the GTX2860's the guy agreed that I would later want more power. I just wanted a fun fast car for the street..the place where I was first going to buy a 3rd stage already built engine for my G went out of bussiness in regards to providing engines and have begun to just sell parts. If you know a place that sells complete built Rev up engines for G35 please mention it. But yeah my friend told me the car will be 417 hp on pump gas and 700 hp with race. (I thought it would be more hp on pump gas)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BOV Kit for the JWT TT