Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

DIY single turbo build write up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is awesome thread. Good work. So what's the total so far?

Old 01-13-2008, 01:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks wonderful. im actueally probably about to have a shop here fabricate some pipeing for me for the new intercooler yeaya!!!

Old 01-13-2008, 06:11 AM
thats fukin sweet!!!

Old 01-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by atomevolution
^^^ I kinda of agree. To put a $2000 turbo kit on a 25k+ Infiniti is optimistic to say the least. If you can do it and it works well then power to you. I'm interested to see how this comes out and what the total bill is. Good luck.
That is kind of a rediculous post. Saying just because it is a 25k+ car doesn't mean it cant have a 2000 turbo kit put on it. If you know people who can get parts then it isn't a problem. I would love to build a custom turbo kit, but i don't know enough about it nor do i have the time. I do how ever have access to every machining tool their is to offer. Wholesale prices on any material you could think of as well. The only thing i would need is all the electronics (wiring, management), injectors, IC, and the turbo. Everything else can be built.

Anyways, good luck with it man!

-Sean

Old 01-13-2008, 06:45 AM
Just finished reading this thread...its amazing how many people talk down on you. I think half the reason is they are pissed that they spent like 10 grand for the kit + the install and now they are seeing someone do it for half the a fraction of the price. Anyways man good luck!

Subscribed!

-Sean

Old 01-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Nismo G
Just finished reading this thread...its amazing how many people talk down on you. I think half the reason is they are pissed that they spent like 10 grand for the kit + the install and now they are seeing someone do it for half the a fraction of the price. Anyways man good luck!

Subscribed!

-Sean

We are not pissed but just checking reality. How many guys in here that has even half the talent of the OP? The OP itself said that there are countless of time put in to fabricating. Now there are lots of cheerleader here that think they can do this just because someone did it. Lots of Shop had done custom kit but like the OP and maybe you, do have access to a machine/weld shop that can do all the trial and error. Putting things together is one thing but what about make it run for 1110000 miles problem free? or Warranty?

The bottom line is that if you don't have access to a machine shop or will pay someone to do this then it is cheaper to just buy a kit or a used kit and be done with it. Gees, he just copied TN kit, you can buy a TN kit for less than $3000 used and I would trust that more than your EBAY copy cat parts.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by FI'ed G
We are not pissed but just checking reality. How many guys in here that has even half the talent of the OP? The OP itself said that there are countless of time put in to fabricating. Now there are lots of cheerleader here that think they can do this just because someone did it. Lots of Shop had done custom kit but like the OP and maybe you, do have access to a machine/weld shop that can do all the trial and error. Putting things together is one thing but what about make it run for 1110000 miles problem free? or Warranty?

The bottom line is that if you don't have access to a machine shop or will pay someone to do this then it is cheaper to just buy a kit or a used kit and be done with it. Gees, he just copied TN kit, you can buy a TN kit for less than $3000 used and I would trust that more than your EBAY copy cat parts.
This is very true. You hit the nail right on the head and i agree with you, but when it all comes down to it how much do you think it cost greddy to make one of those kits that they sell? I bet it cost them close to $1000 and then they mark it up 5 grand or whatever because they know people will pay it. Are the turbos they use really greddy or are they some turbo from china that has a greddy stamp on it? You have no way of telling and neither do I. I do know that same parts come out of the same factory with a different stamp on it.

I can almost guarantee that one of the sweat shops makes all of greddys parts and stamps "greddy" on it so it is a sign of "quality" to the average consumer. And while we are at it those "months" of R and D that go into those parts they make are probably more or less a couple days. None of us know, but we can assume that a company that is in the business to build FI kits already know what it takes. It takes those guys no time at all to fab up a kit and mass produce it. They throw the thing on a dyno and hit the gas and let it roll for 70,000 miles if anything goes wrong then they just fix it - i bet that is all the R and D they put into building one of those kits. Then they just hype it up. Those companies know so much about turbos and engines that they probably in reality don't need more than 1000 miles of R and D before they know what is wrong and what is right.

-Sean

Old 01-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Some more updates

3" down pipe anyone?

Added a 02 sensor port for future wide band.

Not much room so had to use another section with V band connection.
Putting this small section on was bitch.

All finished from underneath.

Attached the BOV & wastegate lines and put the engine cover on
Looks stock right

Well guys it's pretty much done, let it sit an idle for 5 minutes then took her for a granny drive around the block and checked for leaks. The oil adapter had a slight leak just needed tightening of the extra plugs to fix.
No vibration or clunking noises and the china turbo is still alive.
All is left is the air filter which does not have much room, but I was thinking of cutting a hole in the front placing the filter behind the grill with 90 degree bend...thoughts on this?
Hope you all enjoyed the writeup, it was fun for me and cant wait to see how it performs once it's tuned.
The owner of the car is getting a Utec for tuning and I still have to add up some more receipts for the final cost.

Thanks for all the replies negative or positive.
Regards
Otis
RapidSpool Technologies

Old 01-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your gonna have to bend the ac lines but yeah people with prochargers do this to

Old 01-13-2008, 09:18 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
looks great cant wait to see when the owner gets the utec and tune

Old 01-13-2008, 09:18 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
looks great cant wait to see when the owner gets the utec and tune

Old 01-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Can we get a vid?? I would love to see this running very interested

Old 01-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Littering and...
So what did the total price come out to be?

Old 01-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
How long until its tuned? I'm interested to see what it does.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So what is the total the owner spent for labor? add on the utec as well and you are spending probably the same as you would for the TN kit (provided you do the install yourself, which doesn't seem difficult.

Still, great build and I will definitely use it for my later modding plans.

Last edited by SDGeneralCounsel; 01-14-2008 at 04:41 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY single turbo build write up