Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

3rd party independant tear down results of a failed VQ motor.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motormouth
no, because... they don't answer questions :P

just a joke. I just don't have any questions that others haven't already asked, and subsequently been ignored by GTM.

the only one I have is what was the diagnosis on the problem of Romeys first motor.

(Hi Sean)
According to Sam, the HKS headgaskets...

Old 10-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Team Transport Member
we all understand the forums are just a small comunity but I can honestly say maybe 75%+ of his business is from these forums so he should pay a little more attention to them.

you guys need to lay off George hes a good friend of mine and he does a lot at GTM I think he's even slept there a few times while workin on her car. He is just trying to keep you guys updated since Sam isnt doing it.

Last edited by drsifu1; 10-29-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
sentry65, rudeG - both of you guys need to calm down, please.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
***This post is only in regards to Romey’s engine, there will be one post per engine, Please be patient***

A lot has come up in the last 48 hours. I was accused of “character assassination” tactics and trying to divert the blame to someone else, which is completely untrue. I stated before trust is everything, and if there is no trust it is impossible to resolve conflicts, but I am happy that Julian’s true colors have surfaced.
Julian contacted me a few days ago to inform me about Romey street racing his car after the head gasket issue. He made it seem on the forum as we have been in communication and have been working on something – That is not the case, he has been trying to convince me that Romey is the one to blame for all this mess, and that Romey has been playing us all this entire time. He very frankly told me that we should both wash our hands free of Romey, and divert the blame to Romey. I wasn’t really surprised to hear this from Julian because this is exactly the type of person I knew Julian was. If someone does this to a friend, imagine what they will do to a competing shop?
So here is our take on the whole situation;

1. The video has nothing to do with Rome’s situation, Romey is a customer Julian is supposedly the professional. The customer to a certain degree doesn’t know any better. Julian lifted the heads on the dyno, and handed Romey the keys as if everything was fine.

2. When the car had suffered the head lift issue, due to detonation according the Arias piston report. (scanned copy below) This engine could have been repaired by a simple head gasket replacement; Romey would have been back up and running a long time ago.

3. I told Romey before I ever saw the engine (engine 1) that I would take care of it, which is exactly what we did EVEN THOUGH WE WERE NOT AT FAULT. We wondered why an engine that lifted the heads was damaged so bad, and we were accused of improper machining because of the damage, but now the video explains the reason why the piston was damaged.

4. A complete new short block was assembled, new pistons, rings, bearings, etc. We inspected the heads, upgraded the camshafts, and this engine was on its way. There was nothing that needed to be repaired on the heads. The valves in the heads were never touched, they held 6.5 BAR of vacuum when we tested them before shipment. A brand new head with a fresh valve job will hold 7 BAR of vacuum, we set the valve clearances and that was it.

5. After MRC installed engine #2, it was not running on one bank. Romey and Matt called me to let me know, I told them it is impossible that half the engine would not be running and that there is another problem. I recommended that they check the timing, fuel and spark. Julian was quick to blame the engine.

What kind of a shop pulls an engine out before checking for fuel and spark? There was nothing wrong with this engine. This is why I accuse MRC of being amateurs, because this is a classic amateur mistake.

Incase anyone missed it, The reason this engine did not fire is because there was no spark on one bank, which is an external issue – NOT ENGINE RELATED.

Julian claims that one bank had lower compression, well what do you think happens when there is no spark and the cylinders get washed out with fuel and scuffed, the side that was firing was overly rich according to the report, now imagine the side that didn’t fire, yet still had fuel injected.

Compression and leak down tests need to be done on a hot engine in order to be accurate. 10-15% leak down on a COLD engine IS ACCEPTABLE. Once this engine is warmed up and ran, you will be able to get an accurate compression and leak down test.

MRC accused us of having overly tight valve adjustments; this report shows that all our adjustments were 100% within specification.

People keep saying we are diverting blame, but they keep forgetting we covered an engine that we were not at fault for! (Romeys first engine which was detonated on the dyno and lifted the heads)

As far as the camshafts, We have told Romey that we will give him a full refund on the Stage2 camshafts and warranty his stage 1 cams free of charge, or make other arrangements directly with Romey. He will be taken care of one way or another and he knows that, which is all that matters to us.

So yes Julian, we are blaming you because it is your fault. We already covered one of your mistakes for free and we are not going to do it again. I also believe you have a compulsive lying disorder; I would get it checked out.

Thank you,

SAM
GT MOTORSPORTS

Last edited by SAM@GTM; 10-29-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:54 PM
wow.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
ok one quick question why does that thing say a date of 7/16/2008 then why are we just seeing it 3 months after that date on the paper?

Old 10-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by eljoker
ok one quick question why does that thing say a date of 7/16/2008 then why are we just seeing it 3 months after that date on the paper?
because those are the results from the 1st motor.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Yuuuup......Sams taking care of it as usual....

Old 10-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by monokuroboo
because those are the results from the 1st motor.
ok thanx for clearing it up

Old 10-29-2008, 09:39 PM
21 pages of non jtrain posts!??!?!
WOW

Old 10-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by drsifu1
i might just ban you for saying this.

in all seriousness, as long as it is kept professional and doesn't get down to unfounded accusations and name calling, threads like these can become quite informative for the entire VQ community.

will be keeping an eye on this thread and I will make sure it does not get banned for stupid reasons such as politics.

and of course the other shop can feel free to participate and present their information
Just wanted to repost this.

Thanks <3

Old 10-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by SAM@GTM
***This post is only in regards to Romey’s engine, there will be one post per engine, Please be patient***

A lot has come up in the last 48 hours. I was accused of “character assassination” tactics and trying to divert the blame to someone else, which is completely untrue. I stated before trust is everything, and if there is no trust it is impossible to resolve conflicts, but I am happy that Julian’s true colors have surfaced.
Julian contacted me a few days ago to inform me about Romey street racing his car after the head gasket issue. He made it seem on the forum as we have been in communication and have been working on something – That is not the case, he has been trying to convince me that Romey is the one to blame for all this mess, and that Romey has been playing us all this entire time. He very frankly told me that we should both wash our hands free of Romey, and divert the blame to Romey. I wasn’t really surprised to hear this from Julian because this is exactly the type of person I knew Julian was. If someone does this to a friend, imagine what they will do to a competing shop?
So here is our take on the whole situation;

1. The video has nothing to do with Rome’s situation, Romey is a customer Julian is supposedly the professional. The customer to a certain degree doesn’t know any better. Julian lifted the heads on the dyno, and handed Romey the keys as if everything was fine.

2. When the car had suffered the head lift issue, due to detonation according the Arias piston report. (scanned copy below) This engine could have been repaired by a simple head gasket replacement; Romey would have been back up and running a long time ago.

3. I told Romey before I ever saw the engine (engine 1) that I would take care of it, which is exactly what we did EVEN THOUGH WE WERE NOT AT FAULT. We wondered why an engine that lifted the heads was damaged so bad, and we were accused of improper machining because of the damage, but now the video explains the reason why the piston was damaged.

4. A complete new short block was assembled, new pistons, rings, bearings, etc. We inspected the heads, upgraded the camshafts, and this engine was on its way. There was nothing that needed to be repaired on the heads. The valves in the heads were never touched, they held 6.5 BAR of vacuum when we tested them before shipment. A brand new head with a fresh valve job will hold 7 BAR of vacuum, we set the valve clearances and that was it.

5. After MRC installed engine #2, it was not running on one bank. Romey and Matt called me to let me know, I told them it is impossible that half the engine would not be running and that there is another problem. I recommended that they check the timing, fuel and spark. Julian was quick to blame the engine.

What kind of a shop pulls an engine out before checking for fuel and spark? There was nothing wrong with this engine. This is why I accuse MRC of being amateurs, because this is a classic amateur mistake.

Incase anyone missed it, The reason this engine did not fire is because there was no spark on one bank, which is an external issue – NOT ENGINE RELATED.

Julian claims that one bank had lower compression, well what do you think happens when there is no spark and the cylinders get washed out with fuel and scuffed, the side that was firing was overly rich according to the report, now imagine the side that didn’t fire, yet still had fuel injected.

Compression and leak down tests need to be done on a hot engine in order to be accurate. 10-15% leak down on a COLD engine IS ACCEPTABLE. Once this engine is warmed up and ran, you will be able to get an accurate compression and leak down test.

MRC accused us of having overly tight valve adjustments; this report shows that all our adjustments were 100% within specification.

People keep saying we are diverting blame, but they keep forgetting we covered an engine that we were not at fault for! (Romeys first engine which was detonated on the dyno and lifted the heads)

As far as the camshafts, We have told Romey that we will give him a full refund on the Stage2 camshafts and warranty his stage 1 cams free of charge, or make other arrangements directly with Romey. He will be taken care of one way or another and he knows that, which is all that matters to us.

So yes Julian, we are blaming you because it is your fault. We already covered one of your mistakes for free and we are not going to do it again. I also believe you have a compulsive lying disorder; I would get it checked out.

Thank you,

SAM
GT MOTORSPORTS

Ta Daa.....GTM Magic.....Must be made of teflon.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
***Vino’s Motor - The original motor this thread was about.***

Call it what you want, but I have caught Julian in too many lies to take his word on anything. For all I know the third party company that did the inspection on this motor is his best friend. (Diamond Motors)

Julian stated this engine only had 2,000 miles. Then he says the engine used 4qts of oil between oil changes. How many times are you going to change the oil in 2,000 miles?

When I spoke to Julian he told me the car came into the shop 4qts low on oil, now he denies it. How can we prove this?

Oil consumption can happen for a number of reasons;

-improper break in
-improper assembly of oil sealing rings
-improper Machining
-Tuning (washing the cylinder walls with fuel on excessively rich start up, i.e. Like Romeys engine)

Now, if this engine was machined incorrectly, to the point where it would consume 4qts of oil in 2,000 miles there would have been signs of this right away.

-smoking on decal
-smoking on start up

Why would MRC post this car up on the forums, showing how successful the project is, and deliver a car to a customer if it is consuming this much oil? Any time we have had an engine issue with a car in house, which we have had like anyone else, we notice the problem right away, either on startup, on the dyno, or on the test drive. Whenever there is an engine issue, you will know right away.

Why would Julian deliver a car to a customer knowing that there is a problem? If this car was in my shop, and there was an issue, we would never deliver it to the customer. Julian should have called me and let me know of the problem so we can diagnose it and take care of it ASAP, Instead he gave me one phone call to advise me that the car came back 4qts low on oil, I told him we need to take it out and send it back to me, instead he decided to go about fixing the problem his own way.

I wish Julian would have handled this problem the correct way, so that we could have inspected the motor and take care of it if on our end, Instead Julian wants to play this game, and the customer is the one who ends up losing.

I am sure I will get accused of shifting the blame, but if you are an engine builder, and you are in my situation, dealing with someone who you can not trust at all, what would you do?

SAM
GT MOTORSPORTS

Originally Posted by Julian
That's all you have to say for yourself?

And did you really throw r0mey under the bus like that???

I have not been paid for the test pipe, meth, hose,heatwrap, ect install since May of 2008, nor have I been paid for pulling his motor and reinstalling it on 2 seperate occasions. I am out over $6500 in labor and parts since May of 2008 in regards to this incident.
I'm willing to bet that the loyal support r0mey gave you on my350z and in the local NJ area brought you more business than a mere $6500.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 10-29-2008 at 10:19 PM.
that's your response?

edit:
LOL Eric I didn't see your post until after I posted

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3rd party independant tear down results of a failed VQ motor.