Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

My transmission build with Alto clutch packs

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
I have Alto clutchpacks in my tranny.

Oh and congrats on the new exhaust

Old 11-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Your hooking me up with this, sir.. After I build my motor.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is what's in mine.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
So you find SPG's parts and you're just having a local guy put it together and saving like 50-75%?

Old 11-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtrain
So you find SPG's parts and you're just having a local guy put it together and saving like 50-75%?
Yep, basically. I already have their VB so this is all thats really needed now. I hope it will withstand my goals

Old 11-16-2008, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so 3XX for the clutch packs and that is all it needs for a built tranny if u already have the VB upgrade? Why is GTM and SGP selling a built tranny for 4K if the parts are soo cheap?

Old 11-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Canada, eh?

I never said I have SGPs tranny. I have their valve body. The rest of my trans is stock.

SGP was willing to build my tranny for $2000 if I shipped it to them. That's about $100-200 more what I'll be paying. The labor is $1200, parts $384, and upgrading my torque converter is $265. Why do other shops such as GTM charge so mug? I have no idea, other than they charge because maybe people think they're gettig something else when they're not. Also, I would also guarantee GTM, SGP, etc. Don't do the work. They probably send it off to a trans shop.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Canadian
I never said I have SGPs tranny. I have their valve body. The rest of my trans is stock.

SGP was willing to build my tranny for $2000 if I shipped it to them. That's about $100-200 more what I'll be paying. The labor is $1200, parts $384, and upgrading my torque converter is $265. Why do other shops such as GTM charge so mug? I have no idea, other than they charge because maybe people think they're gettig something else when they're not. Also, I would also guarantee GTM, SGP, etc. Don't do the work. They probably send it off to a trans shop.
Wow this is a good option in the future. So if down the road my tranny slips like crazy, all I have change out is the clutch pack and it will be back to normal or is this option only if your tranny is still in good condition?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
Wow this is a good option in the future. So if down the road my tranny slips like crazy, all I have change out is the clutch pack and it will be back to normal or is this option only if your tranny is still in good condition?
From what I have been told this will only work if your tranny is already in good working order. I think SGP and GTM do more that just change out the clutch packs as if that was all they did then why does mine also sound differently like a release of pressure when it changes down gears....I think they upgrade the solenoids also.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by urban
From what I have been told this will only work if your tranny is already in good working order. I think SGP and GTM do more that just change out the clutch packs as if that was all they did then why does mine also sound differently like a release of pressure when it changes down gears....I think they upgrade the solenoids also.
That was what I was thinking but the OP alrdy has slipping so that sort of throws out that theory that the tranny has to be in good working order.

The solenoid is part of the VB so that's part of the upgrade for the VB. So that only leaves the tq converter and the clutch packs that can fail in an AT tranny. What else is there that needs replacing?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:36 PM
I think you have all that matters in the 5AT, TC, VB and tranny clutch packs, along with the coolers, that should be good enough, I know I am pushing over 540trq on my new numbers.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to clarifiy here. The GTM upgraded trans includes several extra clutch packs in the case. In order to get the extra clutch packs in there, you need to machine the drum and case. This isn't just a matter of swapping packs.

If you just swap the packs, bands and seals, you basically have an OEM rebuilt trans, but not the extra holding capacity of the additional clutch packs. I hope that makes sense.

It's similiar to the idea of a carbon triple clutch, vs a single. The more clutches you have, the more holding capacity you will generate. Transmission work and labor is time consuming is expensive, so I think we are getting more than what we pay for. The GTM trans is done in house. I can't speak for the SGP unit.

But give those Alto clutch packs a try, and let us know how it goes. I might have missed it, but are you upgrading the trq converter as well?

Old 11-20-2008, 11:13 AM
Canada, eh?

Originally Posted by sharif@forged
Just to clarifiy here. The GTM upgraded trans includes several extra clutch packs in the case. In order to get the extra clutch packs in there, you need to machine the drum and case. This isn't just a matter of swapping packs.

If you just swap the packs, bands and seals, you basically have an OEM rebuilt trans, but not the extra holding capacity of the additional clutch packs. I hope that makes sense.

It's similiar to the idea of a carbon triple clutch, vs a single. The more clutches you have, the more holding capacity you will generate. Transmission work and labor is time consuming is expensive, so I think we are getting more than what we pay for. The GTM trans is done in house. I can't speak for the SGP unit.

But give those Alto clutch packs a try, and let us know how it goes. I might have missed it, but are you upgrading the trq converter as well?
I know, and I agree with you. The thing is, I am getting extra clutch packs here. I have I believe 8 clutches from Alto for each pack (input and direct powerpacks) for a total of 16. Each pack also had one other clutch or something, not too sure what it is.

I'll definitely let everyone know, as this is supposed to hold my goal and I hope it will.

BTW Sharif I emailed and called you guys about a week ago, never received a reply. Email is raize2k@yahoo.com, would appreciate if you could find it and help with my questions.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know, and I agree with you. The thing is, I am getting extra clutch packs here. I have I believe 8 clutches from Alto for each pack (input and direct powerpacks) for a total of 16. Each pack also had one other clutch or something, not too sure what it is.

I'll definitely let everyone know, as this is supposed to hold my goal and I hope it will.

BTW Sharif I emailed and called you guys about a week ago, never received a reply. Email is raize2k@yahoo.com, would appreciate if you could find it and help with my questions.
I searched my inbox and don't see a message from you. I just sent you an email. THANKS!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My transmission build with Alto clutch packs