Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

My transmission build with Alto clutch packs

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an edge modified one, much better than the Level 10 one I had before.

Andre is cool, the 2 FXs that have an edge converter have put down the fastest 60' times at the track.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm not not happy with it, because above all I'm excited that the car actually drives like a normal car now. Before it was terrible, with the SGP valve body.

Got a new exhaust too, FI. Damn does it sound mean

Old 01-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I had the FI exhaust and liked it - too loud still and had that slight drone at low rpms though. Now I have the evoTT+cats and it is still too loud for me but not bad either.

The GTM TC is from Edge. The new one I had redone is also from Edge. Andre is knowledgable but there is a balance between heat, efficiency, stall, and WOT performance. My 1st TC was supposed to have a 3200 rpm stall. The problem with such a number is that it does not specify at what input torque level. At stock 230 tq it might be 3200, but at 450 tq it was near 4600!

I'll let you know how this 2nd one turns out. I'll be pissed if it's not what I wanted because I sent Andre dyno sheets and all and told him I wanted it efficient, low heat, LOWER stall than before for the power I was putting down. He promised it would be a 3000 rpm stall at my current power levels. We'll see. It's tough because the stall is right around where the turbos spool. A little too high stall and the turbos will reach max boost and it'll actually stall much higher than expected and be inefficient, generating heat. A little too little stall (before turbo spools), and it will bog big time trying to transfer power without boost. I am skeptical it's dialed in. Not an easy problem though. At least with the 530bb's you can assume you are at full boost and derive tq #s and calculate the correct stall. With the 700bb's it's a little tricky since its in transition at that point (3000 rpms).

FWIW, Andre said the stock TC is really 2100-2200 stall (not 2600-2900 per factory specs) without cavitation. Not sure what he meant by that...

Last edited by rcdash; 01-07-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
I also have the Edge racing TC from GTM and I love it, shifts smoothly when driving around town and gets aggressive when you stomp on it, I also love the FI exhaust.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian
The TQ converter isn't bad, it's just when I stop accelerating the car kinda bogs down for a second. What stall did you get?

rcdash - Thanks man. What didn't you like about the high stall? I'm not going through taking the trans out again, so if I ever did that it wouldn't be for a long time.
I got exactly what you did. 2800 so now I am worried what it will really be. My car made 413 tq soooooo. I guess i'll see.... its going in over the next couple days.

Here's a shot:

Old 01-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Canada, eh?

Yeah that's the same one I got. It honestly isn't terrible, it's just kind of annoying when you get into 5th gear. Come to Vegas...you can have a ride lol. I plan on building the motor and running in the high 400whp/tq range.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Yeah that's the same one I got. It honestly isn't terrible, it's just kind of annoying when you get into 5th gear. Come to Vegas...you can have a ride lol. I plan on building the motor and running in the high 400whp/tq range.
What happens in 5th gear?

Old 01-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Canada, eh?

Originally Posted by rcdash
What happens in 5th gear?
It bogs down a little when I let off the throttle.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:49 PM
It bogs down a little when I let off the throttle.
that might be more due to the new exhaust without a tune.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:41 PM
bogs letting off? Those usually don't go together since the car is supposed to slow when you let off! lol. I can tell you when my 5th gear engages during cruise, it slows the car more so than any other gear change. Palpable, lazy tc lock up. Hoping that goes away with the new one.

urban - checked out your dyno graph - something is happening up top in rpms. I see you've got some head breathing mods coming along and cams soon which will help for sure. Do you have a crawford plenum? I saw "crawford plenum spacer" - didn't know they made them. Spark blow out or uneven airflow? (sorry for o/t)

Last edited by rcdash; 01-07-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Canada, eh?

Originally Posted by rcdash
bogs letting off? Those usually don't go together since the car is supposed to slow when you let off! lol. I can tell you when my 5th gear engages during cruise, it slows the car more so than any other gear change. Palpable, lazy tc lock up. Hoping that goes away with the new one.
Yeah, thats what mine does. After driving it again today, it does it even without letting off the gas. It only does it for a second or two though.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:42 AM
Canada, eh?

Great...

The car is still overboosting. I'm seeing about 9-10psi. I have an EBC on the way, and I'm going to be checking some vacuum lines.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Yeah, thats what mine does. After driving it again today, it does it even without letting off the gas. It only does it for a second or two though.
Sounds like the converter locking up. Mark explained that OEM only locks ~90% and upgraded units can full lock so it can be felt more. I've been looking at alot of OEM transmission tuning and it seems most of them lock only after 4th or 5th gear for gas mileage. Makes for smoothness in a stock car but reduces power transfer in lower gears. Hopefully Uprev will be able to look into tuning the trans module sometime in the future. This could also be the reason the stalls are so outta wack??? (I'm a totaly noob regarding auto trans so take this all with a grain of salt )

Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Great...

The car is still overboosting. I'm seeing about 9-10psi. I have an EBC on the way, and I'm going to be checking some vacuum lines.
How are you monitoring boost? You'll get spikes on an auto alot of times because of the converter "overloading" the motor as it spins up. The EBC might not fix it. Are you able to log boost across the RPM range? Does it drop back to the requested setting after the initial spike?

Old 01-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Canada, eh?

Originally Posted by DaveFunction2ND
How are you monitoring boost? You'll get spikes on an auto alot of times because of the converter "overloading" the motor as it spins up. The EBC might not fix it. Are you able to log boost across the RPM range? Does it drop back to the requested setting after the initial spike?
I have a boost gauge, that's about it.

No, I'm not able to log boost. I actually have no idea how to log boost, what is required? I have the SS box the JWT kit comes with. The Greddy EBC I have now records last boost as well as the highest boost recorded. I don't know how to log it across the RPM range, but that would help if I could figure out how to do that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My transmission build with Alto clutch packs