Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

blown piston rod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
really need to know how much timing is in the tune too.

Tune(r) is reeeeeally important on stock block. Local guy round here with 03 z has been running greddy TT for 4 years with zero issues....so they can hold up if done in safe region.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Really Needs a Life
Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Rain
i dont know too much about FI and engines so im just learning so much now. i need to do as much as i can to make sure it doesnt happen again.[/
i mean i feel for you about your loss of your engine but i think that you should have gotten a better ems and done alot more research before you jumped in. this is my .02, but if you blow your motor and do decide to stay with the aps setup you have why not dish out the extra 3k now and build the block instead of risking blowing ANOTHER stock block and having to replace that down the line.. please do your homework before jumping into this..

Old 01-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
^+1

Man, you really should have researched more. Don't make another decision that will cost you lots of money.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Really Needs a Life
Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts
do i need to worry about this happening again? wat can i do to prevent another blown motor? im only 17.. cant afford another one and would have to part out the G :/
again, just spend the extra 3k even if it sounds like a stretch right now, you will thank everyone that is telling you to do it and yourself for the lack of headaches you would have if you didn't build it.
what can you do to prevent blowing another motor? mhmmm, best things you can TRY to do is bigger injectors (believe you said yours were maxed out on tune) better ems, and better tune. but honestly FI on these motors is literally almost like walking on glass, something can always go wrong so you gotta pray that when you start your motor in the morning it isn't gonna go boom.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
buying anohter stock motor is silly. buy a built shortblock and have the shop swiitch over the heads and accessories. prolly only cost ya 2k more in the short term, but prolly save you another motor swap in 6 weeks.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by captj3
Not necessarily true. I've had my kit 4yrs 9-10lbs, 34k, 400 rwhp and still going strong.

Captj3, who built your motor? Who tuned your motor? Why do you think your motor is holding up while others have failed?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Man 17 years old and having to deal with this is a hard lesson to learn. I would def. not stick a stock block in there as you do not know the history of the block you purchased, especially if your going to boost it again.

If you do install it I would take the TT kit off till you can save some funds to build the block.

Of course this is just my 2cts.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Canadian
Someone was definitely wrong with your tune. I am on the ss box from JWT (everyone hates it) for almost 2 years now boosted and no problems..over 22k miles. Sorry to hear about your motor though, but if you're only 17 with a limited budget and you're buying a brand new stock block that is a stupid move. There is probably a 90% chance of this happening again. If you can afford the APS TT install and a brand new motor, fork out the extra 3k and build your current block if its salvageable. Otherwise, I would take off the twins from your car. It WILL end up costing you more than 3k in the long run, even if your car runs longer than 10 days.
It was definitely the tune that did the OP in. I'm also using the stock split second box on stock injectors and fuel pump, and I'm super lean after 5k rpm which I haven't been able to fix due to horrible finances due to school, and I've had no problems.

I agree with everyone's advice about getting a built block or removing the turbos

Old 01-22-2009, 12:12 AM

do i need to worry about this happening again? wat can i do to prevent another blown motor? im only 17.. cant afford another one and would have to part out the G :/
Damm 17?

I see you are from AZ, go check out intense. I would recommand go to shop that knows G/Z for sure.

http://www.intensepower.com/

Old 01-22-2009, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by str8dum1
buying anohter stock motor is silly. buy a built shortblock and have the shop swiitch over the heads and accessories. prolly only cost ya 2k more in the short term, but prolly save you another motor swap in 6 weeks.
+1

http://www.forgedperformance.com/sto...cat=264&page=1

Old 01-22-2009, 02:24 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by SDGeneralCounsel
I I'm also using the stock split second box on stock injectors and fuel pump,
Me three. I would also agree it sounds like a bad tune or maybe a weak motor from the start. I would be scared putting in another stock block without making other changes, specifically the tune.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Canada, eh?

Originally Posted by TTG35forT
Captj3, who built your motor? Who tuned your motor? Why do you think your motor is holding up while others have failed?
Proper tuning. His motor isn't built from the sounds of it. Mine is coming up on 2 years now. Stock block boosting is safe, as long as it is done right!! ****, my car saw 14PSI two weeks ago on STOCK injectors and not a 255lph pump and it didn't blow.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by urban
I did not say it happened to all people who ran on stock blocks but it happens more to those that do, I have 3 friends who installed an APS TT on their stock blocks and all 3 blew...not necc. as quick as the OP's did but they did blow, I went with a built block and mine is doing fine after 50k miles.

Fatigue on the stock rods and other internals will happen no matter what psi you are pushing, they were never intended to handle FI, it is not always about how good your tune is and what AF you at.
I agree with you to a point in regards to fatigue over the long run. Most of the times it is driver related whether they didn't keep up with the oil level and stuff a long those lines. I have seen it more often than people would admit to. If people knew what detonation sounded like and took there foot off the gas instead off pushing harder there would still be a lot of cars driving around. I would really like to know the real truth with your friends who blew their motors. Understand this isn't a call out just a discussion of my experience with the vq since it was released.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Canada, eh?

This isn't a debate of whether going FI on a stock block is safe or not, because honestly from my experience it is when done right.

I think we all agree the OP had a bad tune and should either part out his turbo kit or wait until he can afford to build at least the bottom end.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by TTG35forT
My car was built and tuned by Roger@Japtrix.

My motor is holding up because of the tune and the way I take care of the car. Such as when you hear detonation I take my foot off the gas. I am very maticulous with maintaining the car IE: oil level, coolant and general maintence. If people would take care of and pay attention to there cars they would last. The last few days here in florida have been cold I can tell you 12lbs feels real good but if you push it beyond the limits the motor will fail.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: blown piston rod