Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

blown piston rod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by captj3
My car was built and tuned by Roger@Japtrix.

My motor is holding up because of the tune and the way I take care of the car. Such as when you hear detonation I take my foot off the gas. I am very maticulous with maintaining the car IE: oil level, coolant and general maintence. If people would take care of and pay attention to there cars they would last. The last few days here in florida have been cold I can tell you 12lbs feels real good but if you push it beyond the limits the motor will fail.
You get detonation on a regular basis? That's not a good thing man.

Also from what I've heard about Japtrix I wouldn't go there for a tune.

Last edited by Canadian; 01-22-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
/\ +1 if you can hear your car detonate then that is bad!!! I have never ever heard my car detonate, the only time I know I'm detonating is when Utec detect mild detonation.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
My car detonated when I had my Utec tuned by Church Also when I was slowing down stepping on the brake pedal, my rpms would drop below 0 and come back up and bounce back and forth, it made it seem like my car was stalling/reving up and down as I was coming to a stop. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Anyways, to the O.P, I'm sorry to hear that, boosted with a tt on a stock motor is like russian roulette, it shouldn't have went that easy, but then again it was a stock motor. Good luck to whatever you're going to do!!

O.P You're 17???? Boooosted?? I'm hoping your parents didnt buy that for you, tsk tsk tsk did you use your dirty money on this?? Tsk tsk maybe thats why the motor gave in haha jk jk

Old 01-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Canadian
You get detonation on a regular basis? That's not a good thing man.

Also from what I've heard about Japtrix I wouldn't go there for a tune.
No, I don't get it on a regular basis. I would and still trust him with my car implicitly. He is the only one that I would let tune my cars. The last thread here someone tried to blame them for there motor blowing, but when I asked the hard questions the thread was deleted.But this is not what this thread is about.

First don't go by what you've heard about them. Just remember if they were as bad as you heard they wouldn't be in business for 14yrs. Not many shops are or have been around that long. If there tune was so bad I would have a new motor in my car by now 4yrs and still going strong. I never said I get knock on a daily basis. Please don't miss quote me or use that statement out of context. Bottom line if you are tuned for 9 psi and you are hitting 12 psi with a utec I guarantee your car is knocking. Most people think knock sounds like the 4 banger Honda's on regular gas.

FI'edG how do or did you know you had mild knock? Did you drive around with a laptop datalogging or have a carputer all the time? What do you call mild?

A utec is ok, but I'm sorry I went with it and didn't listen to my tuner who said not to at the time. Nobody really talks about how a utec really is, it has a lot of quirks to it.Turbo xs fu**ed all of us with promises that they never intended to keep. The transition from ecu to utec is the biggest problem along with the rescaling which doesn't work and I can go on.

I hope this answers and puts the hear say to rest.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi-Tech_G
The bottom line is no stock block on boost is safe.
UH OH! don't tell my stock block. It's been boosted for over 2 and a half years...making 410 rwhp/ 400 TQ. My oil analyses are perfect. my compression test are great, too.

Now that I read this post, I better go throw my motor in the trash.

seriously though.......on a well tuned setup, stock motors have no trouble holding on at 400+ rwhp level. don't overrev it, and don't detonate it, though.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
17...damn, your parents must be pissed you fvcked up the car they bought you!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
God i hope my stock block dosent see this thread as ive been boosting for over 5 years......3 years with the crappy stillen and 2 years with the greddy twins.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Really Needs a Life
Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts
still say tune was bad

Old 01-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HomieG35
Everytime I get ready to go have fun in my car (this weekend) I read a thread like this and won't take it to redline but maybe once in 1 gear, lol...

****in stock block. A good rule of thumb is always have enough extra cash to cover your ***... looks like you atleast had enough to buy and install a new engine. Keep it NA for awhile and read up some more on boosting the VQ... You're right, $6000 is a lot for a semi-biult engine... but now look at where you are- you already could have been half way there... blow it again and you could have put all that money in a biuld and had 600hp easy
There's nothing wrong with revving hi, I honestly have probably hit the rev-limiter over 1000 times since I've been boosted. Before when my tranny was fvcked (shifted slow as hell due to a messed up valve body) it would hit the limiter all the time.

I have a track day and many autocrosses where it has hit the limiter for a good second or two. Don't worry

Old 01-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Do yourself a favor kid and listen to what many in this thread have already said. DO NOT just stick another stock block in your ride and cross your fingers that it won't happen again. I guarantee you that it will if that is all you do.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by captj3
[B]

FI'edG how do or did you know you had mild knock? Did you drive around with a laptop datalogging or have a carputer all the time? What do you call mild?

A utec is ok, but I'm sorry I went with it and didn't listen to my tuner who said not to at the time. Nobody really talks about how a utec really is, it has a lot of quirks to it.Turbo xs fu**ed all of us with promises that they never intended to keep. The transition from ecu to utec is the biggest problem along with the rescaling which doesn't work and I can go on.

I datalog a lot and if I'm at the track or racing I usually datalog my runs too. Mild knock is 2-5 count in my book and if I start hearing audible detonation at WOT run then that is sever knock in my book. If you can hear detonation with Utec then your tuner didnt calibrate your Knock settings!!! I dont hear detonation because Utec already pulled enough timing to stop the detonation.

If you are experiencing horrible transition from ECU to Utec then your tuner is to be blame!!! I dont have problem with transition and if I do have them it is 10% of the time only. I can go on and on with Utec and what it does offer. Tell me what piggy back EMS that offer active knock control under 1k? Even uprev and Haltech dont offer it. If you are tuned for 9psi with Utec and you hit 12 psi then your tuner is to be blame again because he didnt enable the overboost protection. If you are tuned for 10psi then you should set your overboost protection at 10psi. There is no EMS under 1K that can match Utec, and if you know one then let us discuss them.

If your # one concern is drivability then maybe Utec is not the best for you but if you want an EMS that will protect your engine then UTEC has tons of feature to protect your motor. Detonation and Overboost are two of the main causes of blown motor and Utec has them both covered. FYI, ECU dont monitor knock above 5000rpm so Osiris, Emanage, SS, Unichip is going to be helpless because all of them rely on the ECU for knock prevention. I dont know about you but when I race I usually stay above 5000rpm most of the time so I need an EMS that will protect my motor against detonation. I had 2 instances that I got a bad tank of gas and one instance where my injector malfunction and caused lean condition, good thing Utec pulled some timing to protect my motor. Wastege/boost controller/vacuum line can all fail so what happen if you overboost? wow good think Utec offer overboost cutoff, and for a few more $$ then you can have Utec controll your boost too...

Last edited by FI'ed G; 01-22-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by QuadCam
UH OH! don't tell my stock block. It's been boosted for over 2 and a half years...making 410 rwhp/ 400 TQ. My oil analyses are perfect. my compression test are great, too.

Now that I read this post, I better go throw my motor in the trash.

seriously though.......on a well tuned setup, stock motors have no trouble holding on at 400+ rwhp level. don't overrev it, and don't detonate it, though.
Quad, which kit do you have and what EMS are you running?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:03 PM
/\ I believe he has that worthless Utec, atleast he used to have it... lol

Old 01-22-2009, 09:12 PM
First thanks for the reply it wasn't meant as a dig it was a question. I see from your reply that you know your utec and data log alot which is fine. My knock and over boost settings are set properly. I know how my car runs just to reiterate if tune was bad I'd have a built motor already. 4yrs 34k boosted 65k on the motor over a hundred dyno runs and I haven't started a thread showing pictures of a rod hanging out the side of my block. For the money a utec is good, drive ability like I said it has it's quirks and everyone that owns one knows this. There are better boost controllers on the market than the utec just like there are better ems's. You have to understand which I'm sure you do that DD is very different than wot down a track or a street. But it's amazing how a statement can be so blown out of proportion. All I said was (when) that doesn't mean it does. Have you ever heard another car ping that is not modified. This is not a uncommon occurance it can happen. My whole point was if you hear it most people just keep going and boom. Then they come to a forum and blame everyone but themselves. Just like when you ask them did they check there oil. They say yes a while ago and down qt or more. You don't have to tell me all the features of the utec I know them very well thanks. It would have been a better unit had turbo xs finished the rest of the features they promised. I've heard all the bs from the vendors past and present on how every ems is the best until something else is released. Bottom line some motors will last and some won't. Japtrix hasn't had a blown motor yet do to there tunes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: blown piston rod