Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

blown piston rod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^I don't really agree with the above^^^
There is no reason that stock block forced induction, can't be 100% daily driver, and super reliable. Ask our customers, and the customers of other other tops shops!!

Many of our setups are going on 30-40K miles of trouble free usage.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by sharif@forged
^^^I don't really agree with the above^^^
There is no reason that stock block forced induction, can't be 100% daily driver, and super reliable. Ask our customers, and the customers of other other tops shops!!

Many of our setups are going on 30-40K miles of trouble free usage.
Believe me, I don't doubt your shop's ability to tune and install forced induction on VQ35's and I'd come to you if I were to do it. There's no doubt about that, but I still believe you're walking on egg shells when you add forced induction to the VQ35 motor even with exceptional tuning. All it takes is one flake out of the tuning under a high load situation (ie high gear, low to mid rpm, full throttle) and boom there goes a rod. Or the rings slowly begin to fail and the motor becomes weaker and weaker and driveability goes in the crapper.

NA motors just aren't made to have forced induction. Some can "handle it", but reliability and driveability, overall, go out the window.

The VQ35 block has never been the problem. That thing is stout as hell as is the crank. But those rods are weak and are made for quick revving and relatively high (sub 7200rpm) operational rpms. They're not made to handle excessive pressure or load. They're made to rev fast and be responsive.

The forced induction problems can easily be adverted by swapping in the rods, pistons, and rings. Expensive? Yes. Worthwhile if you want reliability. I guess I'm of the belief if you're going to it, do it right the first time and don't rely on some elaborate tune that drenches the chamber with fuel to quench excessive heat or pulls loads of timing. They're just band-aids, IMO.

Though our opinions differ on this subject, I still think your shop is kick *** and I totally respect what you guys do for the VQ community.