Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Some quick questions..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some quick questions..

Guys, I'm a noob when it comes to turbo's/sc's I have read a bit about both of them, but some of it is in that science terminology... So I figured I'd ask here to get some realistic and more "simple" answers if you will..

-First question I had was
Is the boost level interchangeable in both SC/Turbo?
Example, If I had 4lbs of boost, can I add/lower it without trouble?
-Second question
-Is race gas used for both SC/Turbo?
All I keep seeing it turbo, so I'm not so sure.
-How many different octanes are there for race gas?
-And also, where can you get race gas?
-And what are prices looking like for it per gallon?

Thanks for all the help!

Old 06-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
As far as boost. The only trouble you'll have is supporting mods. (IE, exhausts, built motors, fuel systems, clutch etc etc)

You add boost with a boost controller on turbo kits- and shorter belts on superchargers.

Give japtrix a call- Talk to roger case- if you're serious about doing stuff to your G. He'll hook you up and do a FANTASTIC job.

561-881-8801

Old 06-01-2009, 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by Solekeeper
Guys, I'm a noob when it comes to turbo's/sc's I have read a bit about both of them, but some of it is in that science terminology... So I figured I'd ask here to get some realistic and more "simple" answers if you will..

-First question I had was
Is the boost level interchangeable in both SC/Turbo?
-Second question
-Is race gas used for both SC/Turbo?
All I keep seeing it turbo, so I'm not so sure.
-How many different octanes are there for race gas?
-And also, where can you get race gas?
-And what are prices looking like for it per gallon?

Thanks for all the help!
I only have an experience with Vortech SC, for vortech you can not raise or lower your boost, all you can do is change pulley size. Smaller size will gives you a higher boost and bigger ones are small boost level ( Depends on what blower you are running. )
I do believe turbo application can raise/lower your boost by using boost control.

You can use race gas on FI, but not necessary. Many people tuned their car with 93 octe, which you can easier can get it from local gas station.
I hope someone can chime in explain about race gas, i have no info about race gas.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

And some more info :
https://g35driver.com/forums/forced-...ion-noobs.html
But good luck.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:08 AM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

all you have to do is change the spring rate on your waistgate on turbos.. don't know as far as SC maybe smaller pully???

Old 06-01-2009, 04:15 AM
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
I hope someone can chime in explain about race gas, i have no info about race gas

BOTTOM LINE RACE GAS CONTAINS LEAD....

[edit] Lead
The mixture known as gasoline, when used in high compression internal combustion engines, has a tendency to autoignite (detonation) causing a damaging "engine knocking" (also called "pinging") noise. Early research into this effect was led by A.H. Gibson and Harry Ricardo in England and Thomas Midgley and Thomas Boyd in the United States. The discovery that lead additives modified this behavior led to the widespread adoption of their use in the 1920s and therefore more powerful higher compression engines. The most popular additive was tetra-ethyl lead. However, with the discovery of the environmental and health damage caused by the lead, and the incompatibility of lead with catalytic converters found on virtually all newly sold US automobiles since 1975, this practice began to wane (encouraged by many governments introducing differential tax rates) in the 1980s. Most countries are phasing out leaded fuel; different additives have replaced the lead compounds. The most popular additives include aromatic hydrocarbons, ethers and alcohol (usually ethanol or methanol). In the US, where lead had been blended with gasoline (primarily to boost octane levels) since the early 1920s, standards to phase out leaded gasoline were first implemented in 1973 - due in great part to studies conducted by Philip J. Landrigan. In 1995, leaded fuel accounted for only 0.6% of total gasoline sales and less than 2,000 short tons of lead per year. From January 1, 1996, the Clean Air Act banned the sale of leaded fuel for use in on-road vehicles. Possession and use of leaded gasoline in a regular on-road vehicle now carries a maximum $10,000 fine in the US. However, fuel containing lead may continue to be sold for off-road uses, including aircraft, racing cars, farm equipment, and marine engines.[14] The ban on leaded gasoline led to thousands of tons of lead not being released in the air by automobiles. Similar bans in other countries have resulted in lowering levels of lead in people's bloodstreams.[15][16]

A side effect of the lead additives was protection of the valve seats from erosion. Many classic cars' engines have needed modification to use lead-free fuels since leaded fuels became unavailable. However, "Lead substitute" products are also produced and can sometimes be found at auto parts stores. These were scientifically tested and some were approved by the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs at the UK's Motor Industry Research Association (MIRA) in 1999.[17]

Gasoline, as delivered at the pump, also contains additives to reduce internal engine carbon buildups, improve combustion, and to allow easier starting in cold climates.

In some parts of South America, Asia, Eastern Europe and the Middle East, leaded gasoline is still in use. Leaded gasoline was phased out in sub-Saharan Africa effective 1 January 2006. A growing number of countries have drawn up plans to ban leaded gasoline in the near future.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:41 PM
So race gas can be used with both sc/turbo?
Thanks for all the responses.. btw