Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

My LS2/350z---PT88 single turbo build.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My LS2/350z---PT88 single turbo build.

Im new to the site but figured id post up my build. Last year I completely my LS2 350z/nitrous and had a pretty good time with it. Its time to step it up a bit..

I officially started the tear down today and will be getting ready to start building the kit soon. I first planned on using C6 manifolds but that idea was quickly shot down when I tried to put them on the car and they were pointing RIGHT at the engine mounts. So I went out and did it the old fashioned way with the truck manis. My setup will consist of the following:

-PT88 truck manifolds with a 3.5" downpipe exiting through the passenger side of the engine. Im having the flanges cut off the manifolds and vband rings welded in place. That will prevent me from needing to clearance the side of the car so the driveside can fit and its just a much better connection.
-Twin 38mm tial wastegates. Polished(I wanted black but my black tial 44 turned purple after a month so im gonna stick with ones that wont discolor)
-50mm Tial Q BOV black
-80lbs injectors with a redone return fuel setup using a magnafuel 4302 pump(I can always upgrade to the 4301 later on) using -8 to feed the engine and -6 as a return.
-I think im gonna try the speed inc TU3 (225/225) turbo cam with the stock 243 heads/intake for now.
-ebay 4" i/c with all alum. 3" piping.
-im going with a custom radiator but im not sure on the specs yet..im pretty much going to build the turbo kit then build the front end around it. Im going to be going with a custom rad. support to give me the room I need to make this happen
-Lingenfelter launch control/2step
-Some form of methanol not exactly sure which brand yet but im leaning towards alkycontrol just from the positive feedback ive heard on this form.
-2.5bar map sensor from a cobalt
-IAT from typhoon
-cj-motorsports twin pump setup

..the parts list will continue to grow as I find things I need for the car. But as of right now I want to get the kit on the car and working and tuned for 4-8 psi and once its up and running perfectly im going to have the bottom end rebuilt and break it in on the low boost tune. One thing im not sure of yet is whether im going to be using my MAF or not. I hear so many mixed stories so im going to try and source a good tuner around here who knows what hes talking about and see what he says. I want to run 10-15psi on the street and maybe 20(or whatever the turbo will take) at the track. Heres a few pictures from what I have so far..

The typical turbo/soda can picture haha

Soda can IN turbo pic..(dont mind the FRCs..they were just laying on the engine to see if I liked them and I didnt)

Little peek-a-boo-shot

And so far heres the best spot I could come up for it to fit. There is NOT a lot of room in the engine bay so im limited in where I can put it.

just a random shot of the car at the track..(hopefully there will be more of this next year) I updated the front end with the 08 HR hood,headlights and bumper. I think its a much cleaner look. Also had the rear wiper and antenna shaved as well as stretching/smoothing the rear fenders.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Did a little cutting up front. Im going with a 22x19x3 radiator and the only way to have everything fit in this small space is to cut into the frame "arms" now they dont actually support anything except the headlights old bumper support which I havent had on the car for a while now so I can cut into them. The are still very sturdy and more than enough to support the headlights and the rad/intercooler support. I now how JUST enough room to fit everything nicely.

(this is the turbo side and unfort. theres not going to be enough room for an airfilter like on my last setup)
..ill clean up the frame cuts once im ready for the final assembly

(this is the radiator side)

Last edited by SnyperZ; 11-27-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Heres the manifolds with the 3 bolt flanges cut off and the vbands welded. They are welded inside and out. Now they dont hit the side of the car when I put them on.

Alternator stays in the same location. =)

Old 11-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn, that's some sick skills u have there.

big props and I can wait to see the final numbers.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have always heard that no welder will ever guarantee a weld performed on cast iron. over time, the weld will always fail. Have other had success with these cast manifolds?

Old 11-26-2009, 12:31 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
Looking very nice.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Subscribed.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
epicness pt II has begun

Old 11-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Throw some duct tape around the weld. That should hold it.

I dont know about cast iron. Its very difficult to weld, being as you need to heat it up before the Tig process. But if he welded both inside and outside correctly, I dont see a problem with cracking unless he has alot of vibration with that new LS2. Which is Beast by the way.

Best of Luck man!

Old 11-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
very nice. thats a huge turbo and on that V8 should go like hell!

Old 11-27-2009, 12:50 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
wow.. that thing is going to be a damn monster when its all said and done.. GL

Old 11-27-2009, 02:29 AM
Originally Posted by Ace198920
Its very difficult to weld, being as you need to heat it up before the Tig process. But if he welded both inside and outside correctly, I dont see a problem with cracking unless he has alot of vibration with that new LS2. Which is Beast by the way.

Best of Luck man!
Yeah thats what was done. My friend did this same thing to a set of LS3 manifolds for a 240sx/76mm turbo and the manifolds have been supporting the turbo up for almost a year and haven't cracked..my setup is going to be different. I'm running solid engine mounts and the full weight of the turbo will be supported by the frame...i'm going to be running 2 small flex sections on each one of the cross over pipes. There will be no weight at all on these flanges so I don't see there being a problem.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:29 AM
And that is the way it should be done.

Good job man, give us an update once it is completely installed.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:56 PM
I will..im just waiting on my new oil pan and downpipe material.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice setup. I can't wait to see your 1/4 mi. time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My LS2/350z---PT88 single turbo build.