Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

FI: we're not in Kansas anymore...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Z1 Performance says they are 290s. Always assuming all VQ DE's are the same in Z, G coupe and G sedan.

http://my350z.com/forum/tuning/20529...-injector.html

So does this mean Eno needs a tune to get to his tune? A ferry ride from Vic to Van towing/carrying a G is going to be pretty expensive. Can he run the 290 injectors that far or is that dangerous (lean?) I don't know **** about this, so I'm trying to learn something here, too!

Last edited by Swivel; 11-23-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
He could run the 290cc injectors as long as he is careful to stay out of boost. The problem then becomes trying to get your injectors and rails ect ect installed at the tuners shop. If i was doing that I would book it in at the tuner shop at least a couple days before the tune is booked in case they run into any issues installing the fuel system.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
He could run the 290cc injectors as long as he is careful to stay out of boost. The problem then becomes trying to get your injectors and rails ect ect installed at the tuners shop. If i was doing that I would book it in at the tuner shop at least a couple days before the tune is booked in case they run into any issues installing the fuel system.
do you think the stock injectors would take the higher fuel pressure??

if so he could get the fuel system installed then when he gets to the tuner swap the injectors.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Sorry I'm not submitting feedback here guys- frankly, I don't know the answers either way. Two possibilities here so far seems to be to get the turbo kit installed on the island and the fuel installed closer to where the tune will take place ultimately. Also, I might just run into another shop that does the tune but this guy seemed pretty connected and confident that the BEST place was in Vancouver.

About boost, I'm not looking for anything insane. 8psi sounded like what we were looking at with the single but I'm not sure how that goes across. Gord seems to think life starts at 10 so 8 sounds like a reasonable first step. Also, I have to be careful because though I've upgraded the valve body I haven't touched the clutch pack. I'm probably safe with the driving I do up to 4-420... whp and wherever the torque ends up. I've been looking at some built transmissions too- but 3k just to buy it is going to hurt a bit too much. The clutch pack is where I've got my reading glasses on now- some guys seem to be able to get the clutch disks installed into the original assembly- others insist that the original needs to be bored out... No matter what route you take it's about 2k. And I'm learning there ain't a lot of work of this sort that gets done in BC... so I'm thinking Washington somewhere for a road trip-

Or, I guess... I could always come back to AlBRRRRRRRRRRRRTa. Frick, I'm in Okotoks now and my friggen GOD you guys. Who the frick pissed off the weather gords? Thank god I'm leaving for Fort Mac in a couple hours... I can warm myself in the balmy -20 temps.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Or, I guess... I could always come back to AlBRRRRRRRRRRRRTa. Frick, I'm in Okotoks now and my friggen GOD you guys. Who the frick pissed off the weather gords? Thank god I'm leaving for Fort Mac in a couple hours... I can warm myself in the balmy -20 temps.
If it was Gord it would be like a chinook. All he does is blow alot of hot air.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by 1hotvq
do you think the stock injectors would take the higher fuel pressure??

if so he could get the fuel system installed then when he gets to the tuner swap the injectors.

You set the regulator at the OEM pressure. The stock injectors can handle lots more pressure that is actually a trick NISMO uses in race series that require stock injectors they crank the fuel pressure way up to fatten up the mixture.

Originally Posted by red35
If it was Gord it would be like a chinook. All he does is blow alot of hot air.
I would rather blow hot air than what you usually blow! Your learning curve is like a flat line I didn't even need to work on that burn!!!

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 11-23-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Eno, congrats on the kit and on your guts to admit you don't know much but especially on your willingness to tackle.

Your posts are a riot to read.

Best wishes with the install. I sure as h know I couldn't do a whole lot to help.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by RBull

Your posts are a riot to read.
i have only been out for drinks with him once but he is quite a character in person as well.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ian, when did you move to Kansas?

Congrats on taking the plunge, think of the money you're saving not having to buy resonators!

Old 11-24-2010, 06:50 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not surprised.

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
i have only been out for drinks with him once but he is quite a character in person as well.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Eno
I LOL'd at the resonators. Boy, that feels like it was an eon (not Ian) ago. Boy, have my problems ever changed nature. Back then I was fretting about resonators and upgrading the lower plenum... maybe a nice polished upper plenum... Oh yeah, and those hood dampers made me cringe- that 200 bucks was WAY too much to justify!

Yes, I've been known to sway at anchor some...

I'm hoping to get the music started in early december but the reality of it is I probably won't get things going until January. Hopefully that's a lie-

How long does it generally take to install a turbo?

Last edited by Eno; 11-24-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by ITNKICN

How long does it generally take to install a turbo?
Your looking at at least a full week, maybe more with modifying your piping.

You do get desensitized to spending on your car. I recall freaking out about spending $4,000 on Volk wheels now all the wheels I look at are $8,000 . A $4,000 Vortech kit used to seem steep to me, I wouln't even want to figure out what I have into my TT set up

Old 11-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Having to pay someone else to do something like a turbo kit install would kill me. I'd give it two weeks, then when the shop says there have been setbacks you won't be completely disspointed haha.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Eno
Wow... so I guess my hope that Santa could conjure it up on the side during a 12 hour trip around the world are out of the question. Frick.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... I don't think big red is real. I mean I think I thought I've seen/heard him on a number of occasions. But something just doesn't add up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FI: we're not in Kansas anymore...