The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil in Spark Plugs

Hey guys, i just recenly bought a 06 g35 coupe and while changing out my spark plugs i had noticed that 1 of them had some oil at the bottom of it (where you get the spark) i asked a couple of places and they all keep telling me different things like valve cover, spark plug seals,combustion chamber, did anyone of you guys have this problem?? if so please help me on how to get it fixed...

Old 10-20-2016, 05:56 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
It is the valve cover. They develop a leak around the seal on the spark plug well. There are several ways to fix it, One fairly cheap one more expensive. do a search on this forum for spark plug and oil and you'll probably pop something up

Old 10-20-2016, 06:09 PM
kool thanks i would definitely look into that.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:35 PM
My mechanic pool valve cover off, silicone the problem put it back on, and I haven't had a problem cents

Old 10-20-2016, 06:49 PM
do you know wat exactly he put silicon on? the valve cover gasket or the seal?

Old 10-20-2016, 07:38 PM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
It is the valve cover. They develop a leak around the seal on the spark plug well. There are several ways to fix it, One fairly cheap one more expensive. do a search on this forum for spark plug and oil and you'll probably pop something up
You need to stop passing along bad information. The valve covers have nothing to do with oil consumption in this thread. I had oil consumption, I replaced OEM valve covers due to leaks, and still have the same oil consumption. This is not the answer--if it were Nissan could've fixed it in a heartbeat. Yes, the valve covers go bad, no they are not the cause of the massive oil consumption many see.

On top of that, you need to get a new mechanic...

Last edited by JZ39; 10-20-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:50 PM
So what would you recomand

So what would u recommend??
Originally Posted by JZ39
You need to stop passing along bad information. The valve covers have nothing to do with oil consumption in this thread. I had oil consumption, I replaced OEM valve covers due to leaks, and still have the same oil consumption. This is not the answer--if it were Nissan could've fixed it in a heartbeat. Yes, the valve covers go bad, no they are not the cause of the massive oil consumption many see.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:22 PM
^^^are you serious? There are one hundred and nineteen pages in this thread on the design flaws of the VQ short block. The only thing that you can do to stop oil consumption is to buy a new shortblock or engine.

Mine started at around 50k and burned exactly one quart every 2500 miles until 140k miles and now it burns a quart every 1000 miles. I have the air oil separator, new valve covers, car has been over maintained by a single GTR mechanic its entire life. Cylinder compression is good, nothing more I could have done... Yeah, I feel a bit betrayed. It sucks. But at least for the non rev ups it doesn't seem like the oil burning has killed any engines. So, my G that just got her 150k mile makeover, which is now, unbelievably, my winter car with snow tires in the cold months, will continue to run, and I'll continue to feed her oil as she asks for it. She still gets compliments ALL the time and she's still my favorite car of all time.

Thankfully if it comes to that, new engines can be had pretty cheap, so, she can continue to live!

Old 10-21-2016, 06:44 AM

On top of that, you need to get a new mechanic...
Originally Posted by nesh925
Hey guys, i just recenly bought a 06 g35 coupe and while changing out my spark plugs i had noticed that 1 of them had some oil at the bottom of it (where you get the spark) i asked a couple of places and they all keep telling me different things like valve cover, spark plug seals,combustion chamber, did anyone of you guys have this problem?? if so please help me on how to get it fixed...
And you need a lesson in reading comprehension.

He asked what to do about OIL IN THE SPARKPLUG WELL. Not oil consumption. I told him wat WORKED for me. Several others used the same technique with the same results.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:12 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
lolololololol texas dropping knowledge on a long time member, you go boy!!

JZ39 c'mon man. TS has been around almost exactly as long as you and he's usually spot on with car discussion. Not sure if you were having a bad day but methinks you might need a

Old 10-21-2016, 10:00 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by nesh925
So what would u recommend??
^^^are you serious? There are one hundred and nineteen pages in this thread on the design flaws of the VQ short block. The only thing that you can do to stop oil consumption is to buy a new shortblock or engine.

Mine started at around 50k and burned exactly one quart every 2500 miles until 140k miles and now it burns a quart every 1000 miles. I have the air oil separator, new valve covers, car has been over maintained by a single GTR mechanic its entire life. Cylinder compression is good, nothing more I could have done... Yeah, I feel a bit betrayed. It sucks. But at least for the non rev ups it doesn't seem like the oil burning has killed any engines. So, my G that just got her 150k mile makeover, which is now, unbelievably, my winter car with snow tires in the cold months, will continue to run, and I'll continue to feed her oil as she asks for it. She still gets compliments ALL the time and she's still my favorite car of all time.

Thankfully if it comes to that, new engines can be had pretty cheap, so, she can continue to live!
immediate backlash towards Tex but when
he asks you "what do you recommend" you rant about your mechanic, personal OC issues, emotions of betrayal, your favorite car, and snow tires..... no actual recommendations.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:54 PM
Haha! Yeah, I do need a chill pill

I was watching Hillary and Donald go at it and was getting all fired up. Sorry for the drama!

In all seriousness, the valve covers are pretty cheap plastic and will leak oil over time. Silicon seal will in all likelihood be a short term fix. As for the oil consumption problem of the engine, I did offer the only real solutions--a new short block (or piston ring rebuild) or engine. Unfortunately, There's nothing else you can really do.

But, today was a happy day because I just got my car back from her "150k miles makeover" from the body shop where I got the tint replaced, some rust on the fender well fixed and a bunch of dings and light scratches, along with a new set of OEM floor mats and an appointment to get the interior carpet dyed black and the bolsters and vinyl on the drivers seat replaced. Overall, I must say she looks pretty damn good! She's parked right in line with my neighbors white 37 coupe (non S) and there's simply no question in my mind that the 35 is the better looking car

Sadly, I have my OEM 18s on and not my Volks bc I didn't want the body shop to screw them up, but she still looks good even with the 18s.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:59 PM
Here's a pic with the Volks on:

The following users liked this post:
Lartytiejdke3 (10-22-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 10:58 PM
Haha! Yeah, I do need a chill pill

I was watching Hillary and Donald go at it and was getting all fired up. Sorry for the drama!
TOTALLY understandable!

In all seriousness, the valve covers are pretty cheap plastic and will leak oil over time. Silicon seal will in all likelihood be a short term fix.
So far, (3 years) mine is doing fine.

As for the oil consumption problem of the engine, I did offer the only real solutions--a new short block (or piston ring rebuild) or engine. Unfortunately, There's nothing else you can really do.
You are correct on that point.

But, today was a happy day because I just got my car back from her "150k miles makeover" from the body shop where I got the tint replaced, some rust on the fender well fixed and a bunch of dings and light scratches, along with a new set of OEM floor mats and an appointment to get the interior carpet dyed black and the bolsters and vinyl on the drivers seat replaced. Overall, I must say she looks pretty damn good! She's parked right in line with my neighbors white 37 coupe (non S) and there's simply no question in my mind that the 35 is the better looking car

Sadly, I have my OEM 18s on and not my Volks bc I didn't want the body shop to screw them up, but she still looks good even with the 18s.
I need to do the same with mine. 147K and it's time. I still think the first gen G35 is better looking than the second gen. It has more exciting lines than the second gen that looks like a damn Camery.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:35 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Here's a pic with the Volks on:
My all time favs. SF Winnings ftmfgdw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!