The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:07 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Mine has 130K now and is starting to use a bit. Looks like about 1 1/2" quarts per 7500 miles (not bad). I just changed the oil and change brand from M-1 5-30 to Quaker State 10-40 conventional to see if it changes any. I'll keep you posted.
Is this a joke? There's a difference between oil consumption and normal oil wear. 1qt every 7500 miles isn't even considered oil consumption. In fact I have never seen a car eat any less than that. Are you telling me you refrain from changing your oil for over 7500 miles? That's insanity to me.

I don't care what manufacturers of oil or new motors say, you can not control the amount of contaminants and/or burning of your oil when you use it for that long. I believe filtering has gotten better, but anything over a 4k mile oil change is just asking for trouble.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:24 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Is this a joke? There's a difference between oil consumption and normal oil wear. 1qt every 7500 miles isn't even considered oil consumption. In fact I have never seen a car eat any less than that. Are you telling me you refrain from changing your oil for over 7500 miles? That's insanity to me.

I don't care what manufacturers of oil or new motors say, you can not control the amount of contaminants and/or burning of your oil when you use it for that long. I believe filtering has gotten better, but anything over a 4k mile oil change is just asking for trouble.
I have gone as far as 15,000 miles a couple of times, just as it states on the Mobil One bottle. I have OVER 130,000 miles on it and it still runs strong, compression is good and there is no noise from the valve train.

Yes I change mine every 7500 miles, anyone that does less is wasting oil and the environment. Ask ANY manufacturer, even Mercedes, BMW, and AUDI and they will tell you 7500 as a minimum.

I can understand if you are going by time not miles. But my car and my truck BOTH get full a full warm up every day. My truck, a NISSAN Frontier (VQ40 135,000 miles), has the same oil change interval, HOWEVER, it rarely goes more than 3 months before it is changed. I put 110 miles a day on her.

Last edited by Texasscout; 03-24-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checked mine today. Working fine. Thanks for the tips!

Old 03-26-2015, 04:32 AM
idk what to do... my 04 burns between 1/2-1qt. of oil every 500 miles i check it every time i leave the house for the first time because of it. no leaks at all burns it all. get a nice blueish cloud from my exhaust every 15 minutes or so or sometimes when i'm coming to a stop <5mph. should i even bother with the dealership? i keep up with necessary fluids/services but i bought it used for $11,500 @ 114k miles (RIPPED OFF FOR SURE) due to prior accident so was kinda rushed into getting this. thanks in advance... my poor baby is suffering

Old 07-16-2015, 09:33 PM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by alliew2010
idk what to do... my 04 burns between 1/2-1qt. of oil every 500 miles i check it every time i leave the house for the first time because of it. no leaks at all burns it all. get a nice blueish cloud from my exhaust every 15 minutes or so or sometimes when i'm coming to a stop <5mph. should i even bother with the dealership? i keep up with necessary fluids/services but i bought it used for $11,500 @ 114k miles (RIPPED OFF FOR SURE) due to prior accident so was kinda rushed into getting this. thanks in advance... my poor baby is suffering
I do feel kinda bad for how much you paid for your 04. with that much oil consumption, you'd have to add at least 1quart between 1000-2000miles to be safe. I found out my 05 coupe with 119k miles does burn oil too because of the engine rattles, and after adding some fresh oil it went away.

As much as I love the G35, it really has its issues for a premium/luxury sportscar. Unlike a bone stock cheap Toyota Corrolla or Camry that's half the price and has almost no issues if maintained normally.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What about the 2007 HR VQ's are those still have the "Common-oil consumption issue"?

Old 08-14-2016, 04:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil problems on g35/37 manual.

AFTER OWNING ONE FOR 10 YEARS with terrible oil consumption from 26,000 miles on I came to the following conclusion:
All people that buy the manual transmission are car enthusiasts who like to check everything with their cars including oil.
Most of the people who buy or lease the Auto-transmission do not care about the mechanical parts of the car, they concentrate in the Luxury status of the Infiniti line.
Therefore the later group will never check engine oil, so they will never know if something goes wrong until a light turns on..
So in my opinion the Automatic transmission cars will have the same percentage of oil burning/loss like the manual but the Owners will never know because they will never check.
Further more the Automatic Transmission cars will be leased, not bought and after two or three years, the car is replaced.
The mechanics who change the oil never check the oil level when the car enters service for an oil change, so there is no reference about the Automatic ones.
So in short all of you who own Manual Transmissions, keep checking for oil loss like you did before and protect your investment even if you need to add 1/2 a quart
every gas fill up. It is the cheapest way to keep it going. I did.
And one more thing from my experience: Always take your car to the dealer within the Warranty period-You will have a record with Infiniti that cannot be falsified.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wechslerl
AFTER OWNING ONE FOR 10 YEARS with terrible oil consumption from 26,000 miles on I came to the following conclusion:
All people that buy the manual transmission are car enthusiasts who like to check everything with their cars including oil.
Most of the people who buy or lease the Auto-transmission do not care about the mechanical parts of the car, they concentrate in the Luxury status of the Infiniti line.
Therefore the later group will never check engine oil, so they will never know if something goes wrong until a light turns on..
So in my opinion the Automatic transmission cars will have the same percentage of oil burning/loss like the manual but the Owners will never know because they will never check.
Further more the Automatic Transmission cars will be leased, not bought and after two or three years, the car is replaced.
The mechanics who change the oil never check the oil level when the car enters service for an oil change, so there is no reference about the Automatic ones.
So in short all of you who own Manual Transmissions, keep checking for oil loss like you did before and protect your investment even if you need to add 1/2 a quart
And one more thing from my experience: Always take your car to the dealer within the Warranty period-You will have a record with Infiniti that cannot be falsified.
Is that even valid for the 07 G's with the HR or just the old version De's

Old 08-14-2016, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by wechslerl
Very well put. However, as "driving enthusiasts" we also tend to run them harder than Auto drivers do.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:24 PM
maintenance due

At around 60,000 miles is there any major or minor routine maintenance that should be done? such as transmission fluid exchange, belt swaps, anything like that.
Thankyou in advance for any advice.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:14 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Google G35 60,000 mile recommended maintenance. It's a decent sized list.

Also if you have just purchased the car and have no verifiable maintenance records for it, I'd replace all fluids: brake, antifreeze, transmission (just do a drain and fill, not flush the whole system) if you have the automatic, clutch if you have a manual transmission, power steeing and differential.

Last edited by Blue Dream; 08-23-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Google G35 60,000 mile recommended maintenance. It's a decent sized list.

Also if you have just purchased the car and have no verifiable maintenance records for it, I'd replace all fluids: brake, antifreeze, transmission (just do a drain and fill, not flush the whole system) if you have the automatic, clutch if you have a manual transmission, power steeing and differential.
If your car is over 5 years old, I would also replace all the hoses, PCV valve, alternator and AC belts, cabin filter (if equipped), wipers, and check the tires for date of manufacture (google how to date a tire) and for weather cracking.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (09-02-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 08:08 PM
got 06

my 06 uses about a half a quart every 3 months if you can get the dip stick in and out,its a flaw with these engines.just keep check on it. also run premium gas or it stops up you first cats.

Last edited by shawn2me; 10-17-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:20 PM
06 auto

I have a 06 sedan auto with sport and luxury packages .all the ground effects and spoilers.its a bad *** car to me and I run the **** out of it,with 153000 miles on it it has never gave me any problems and it only uses about a half a quart every 3 months.so,its not you straight drive enthusiast.i drive it like I thik it was made to drive.***** to the wall.and oil consumption not bad

Old 10-18-2016, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by shawn2me
my 06 uses about a half a quart every 3 months if you can get the dip stick in and out,its a flaw with these engines.just keep check on it. also run premium gas or it stops up you first cats.
Put 171796 miles on my 06 G35 6 speed when I traded it in for my G37S
Used oil yes sometimes a qt/1000 miles
All miles on regular 87 octane with no problems
Use premium if you enjoy wasting money on gasoline

Telcoman

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!