The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

The worse thing happened to me just now.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The worse thing happened to me just now.....

Well to make a long story short, I parked my car in my garage with the e-brake up. When I opened my door to get out, the car started to roll back and picking up speed. I tried to get in and step on the brake but it was too late. My door hit the frame of the garage door and the window was pushed forward b/c it hit the garage door rail. Now my window does not roll all the way up and there are broken pieces inside the door.

Is it normal for our cars to roll back WITH the e-brake up? Now I have no idea what to do to fix my car. If I was to bring this up to the dealers, what are the chances that they are going to fix it without charging me? Any advice would help me, thanks guys.

Old 11-01-2006, 10:56 PM
English dude, English
Sorry to hear bro.

Yeah, unless you become as strong as the Hulk, then yes you run the risk of the car rolling.

Put up some pics so that we can see the extent of the damage.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Skyline_G35
Sorry to hear bro.

Yeah, unless you become as strong as the Hulk, then yes you run the risk of the car rolling.

Put up some pics so that we can see the extent of the damage.
I usually put in gear when I park but I had to step out to see how much more room I had left to pull in since we moved a few things into the garage so I had to leave it in neutral.

But I'll take pictures tomorrow. I'm sure I'm going to have to go through insurance for this.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Oh man I am sorry to hear that. I know there were a few instances where I wasn't comfortable with my e-brake grabbing so I pulled it up as hard as I could.

Hopefully the damage is not too extensive and expensive to repair.

Good luck man!

Old 11-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe if you can show the dealership exactly what happened and show that the ebrake wasn't doing its job they will fix it?

Old 11-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by chinaman_87
maybe if you can show the dealership exactly what happened and show that the ebrake wasn't doing its job they will fix it?
hahahaha... that's a good one.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by chinaman_87
I'm going to bring it up to them but I wouldn't hold my breath

Old 11-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hey man same thing happend to me last week!! i have a downhill driveway and i was parked pulled the e-brake up all the way to wash the car. i got out and as soon as i stepped out i heard a LOUD pop! i screamed like a little girl "oh ****" and my car started rolling back!! i opened the door jumped in the seat and the car rolled back even faster!! (with me in it) I slammed on the brakes (luckily i hit the brakes, 2more inches and my rear wudda been in the mailbox . i was shaking . Does the dealer tighten up the e-brake for free under warranty??? i always park in gear now

Old 11-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah at my girls house, the driveway is on a slope so I have to use the ebrake. But the scary thing is if I don't leave it in gear I get this wierd feeling cuz, one time I pulled it and it rolled back a little, I hit the brake and pulled it some more. it stopped but I haven't trusted it since. Now I pull the ebrake and put it in first gear. I also sit in the car till it rolls back to where the gear catches and doesn't let the car move anymore.

Old 11-02-2006, 02:30 PM
so this is a common problem for our Gs? have anyone went to the dealer to check it out??

Old 11-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Same thing happened to my bro when he was driving a 92 prelude. He left the car parked on the street with on the e-brake and the street was sloped up a lil bit. he came back and found the car down the street a bit on a neighbors lawn, lucky the car didn't hit anything.

Unfortunately for my other brother, he was driving his 96 240sx and parked it on the street by his gf's house. He went in her house and came back 20 mins later and found his car smashed against the neighbor's wall.

So, i wouldn't trust the e-brake and always leave the car in gear now.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
e-brake cable is not very 'tight' on the G. My car was like that for a year before I took it to the dealership and asked them to tighten the e-brake and shorten its travel.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:23 PM
I can't comment on the G since I don't have a six speed but I never trust an e-brake and I never will. Sorry to hear about the accident.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
FWIW....
Parking brakes usually hold better going (rolling) forward than backwards.
The brake is a drum style in the rear hub.
It's the nature of this design.

Park facing down hill rather than up hill, if you can.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It costs you a little money, and some piece of mind because your car isn't pristine anymore, but after the last year, if this is the worse thing that has ever happened to you, you have been blessed.

No one injured or died.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The worse thing happened to me just now.....