The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Should I worry about my transmission or am I paranoid??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I worry about my transmission or am I paranoid??

I have an 04 G35 5AT Sedan with 56k miles and I had a couple questions about some transmission quirks......

1. When it's cold (only for the first acceleration) it seems to slip into gear a little bit if you give it some gas, not a horrible slip but doesn't feel as solid as when it's warm.

2. When the car is in park or drive and you go to put it into reverse at a stop (obviously) once it engages into reverse you can hear a loud "click" sometimes 2 "clicks" from the tranny. Also when you first start moving if you're on a hill in Drive it will make that click once or twice when you first start accelerating.

Am I paranoid or are these signs of a tiring transmission?? My car will be under warranty (extended) until 90k miles, so should I pay the $100 deductible and hope they find something and replace it or just ignore it until it gets worse if it does??? THanks guys

-nate

Old 11-19-2006, 05:12 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nalinc23
I have an 04 G35 5AT Sedan with 56k miles and I had a couple questions about some transmission quirks......

1. When it's cold (only for the first acceleration) it seems to slip into gear a little bit if you give it some gas, not a horrible slip but doesn't feel as solid as when it's warm.

2. When the car is in park or drive and you go to put it into reverse at a stop (obviously) once it engages into reverse you can hear a loud "click" sometimes 2 "clicks" from the tranny. Also when you first start moving if you're on a hill in Drive it will make that click once or twice when you first start accelerating.

Am I paranoid or are these signs of a tiring transmission?? My car will be under warranty (extended) until 90k miles, so should I pay the $100 deductible and hope they find something and replace it or just ignore it until it gets worse if it does??? THanks guys

-nate
A good indication of transmission health is the colour of the fluid. If you can't check it, take it in for an evaluation. If there's a problem, the warranty will fix it.
The shop can also scan the Tranny computer (TCU) for any possible issues.

With that mileage, a tranny flush and refill is worth the investment.

G/L
C.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:21 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
^ agreed

Old 11-19-2006, 10:19 PM
When you say the color is a good indication, what color should it be?? Also do you think any of these symptoms sound bad?

Old 11-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Anyone??

Old 11-20-2006, 04:10 PM

opinion = slipping isnt good, but slipping mis interpreted as a car warming up may be the culprit. imo my autos seemed to rev the engine higher when the car is cold... after it warms up it will tach down.

answer = bolts on drive shaft need to be replaced lubed & washers need to be installed... this is a factory recall. clicking isnt anything to be worried about just annoying.

opinion= drive it till it breaks... or 89k miles ... then have them check it out.

gl

ppp

Old 11-20-2006, 06:46 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
When you say the color is a good indication, what color should it be?? Also do you think any of these symptoms sound bad?
When the tranny goes bad, it burns the fluid which then goes from a bright red to dark brown and also smells burnt too.

Have the dealer check the fluid, and the engagement issue you talked about.
To keep your warranty it's your responsibilty to bring any issue to the attention of the dealer so that he can fix it.

I personally wouldn't like any kind of slippage any time and would have it checked out immediatley.

C.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Definitely a quick fix at the dealership under warranty. I had the same issue. Technician replicated the noise by pressing the gas while the brakes are presses.