The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

1 Day after taking delivery of my 06 G35C 6mt: not a great one

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 Day after taking delivery of my 06 G35C 6mt: not a great one

ok guys, let me get this straight, so is there 3M on the front bumper? I was told that there isn't since its plastic...but i think they're full of it. I saw super tiny bubbles in the edges of various places in the bumper, but they say its orange peel. Ok, even if its orange peel, its a BRAND NEW CAR! It should never have such unless its had paint work. PERIOD.

here's the story

I took delivery of my 06 coupe Thursday night. It was dark and cold, approx 10 degrees

After filling out all the papers and everything, I was ready to take delivery. They then proceeded to say that the car is on its way to be filled with its first tank of gas, which took almost 30 minutes after we finished papers.

I had the 3M bra installed prior to delivery, and needless to say, after I get home and look under my flourescent lights, immediately I saw that there were flaws in it. on the passenger fender, the edge wasn't even flat, it was crooked like it had been hand cut. The driver's side mirror film also had a chunk missing from it.

But this takes the cake...after further inspection I saw a HUGE crease in the rear bumper where it looked like it had been tapped. No paint chips, but a definately noticable crease- approximatly 15 inches across.

I called today and told them what happened, and I immediately demand for a new vehicle.

My view, I bought a new car, I expect everything to be prestine and AL]L ORIGINAL.

I get down there, and immediately question me if I had parked it where i've driven it and blah blah blah. They kept saying that they didn’t see anything when they had finished walking around the car.

The Sales Manager looked and said, "well, we might be able to heat it up and get it to pop out". I said "No, I bought a brand new, and it should stay that way."

I persisted on getting a new car, but I wasn't happenning. The store manager said, " I could just say "No", and deny your claim, and be done with, but I'm choosing to deal with it."

I was firm and slightly aggressive, but didn't cross any lines or step on any toes.

So, long story short, he's taking the rear bumper off the show room car and putting it on mine.

I specifically told them that I wanted an ALL ORIGINAL factory painted bumper. Nothing aftermarket that requires painting. So I'm gonna have a friend who works in the area to monitor progress and make sure they don't pull a fast one on me and install an aftermarket on since i'm not there to monitor the situation.

All is good and dandy, and they arrange me a loaner car.

I also put my own twist on things. I put a stop payment on my check that I put my downpayment on.

My view is the situation is that if things aren't "made right" worst comes to worst, they have no money, I have no car.

Once things are made right, and I clear everything on the day I pick it up, I'll write them another check.

I told my salesman that right before I left, and he didn't seem too pleased, but oh well.

Btw, here’s my theory on the situation. The car was fine and dandy after washing. The guy who took my car to fill the gas wrecked it, and tried to cover it up; thus taking nearly 30 minutes to “fill the gas” up. When he got back from the gas station, he proceeded to wipe the car down, coincidently standing right behind the back bumper where the crease was. I didn’t think nothing of it since he WAS cleaning the car and wiping the water spots off. The salesman was putting the license plate on at the same time, so they may be in the scheme of things together.

It was a brand new car, and I didn’t look it thoroughly like I usually do but since it was a new car, I thought to myself, well it’s a brand new Infiniti right, it’ll be fine. Well, this apparently wasn’t the case.

My question to you guys is: Are both party's, the dealer, and myself both fairly treated?

Comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 12-08-2006, 10:12 PM
dude, if i was you i would get a lawyer ASAP if they dont give you a brand NEW car

Old 12-08-2006, 11:51 PM
uhh, I don't think they will give you a brand new car. couple of thoughts . . .

1) yeah, it was dark/cold when you took delivery, but this is a dealership, right? is their garage dark and cold too? I took delivery last Dec (very cold), and they had they car in the bay being cleaned.

2) and yes, I assumed it was new, but I still check it out. I'm sure it was perfect when it left the factory, but then it had to get over here (and mine was dealer traded from Chicago, driven to Indy).

3) clear bra -- yeah, apparently it's hard to put on right on our cars, but it can be done. Had mine redone FOUR times (each time spending 2-3 days in the dealership) before I finally said, fine, close enough. the first time, it was crooked, wrinkled, large bubbles -- sounds just like yours.

4) crease. can't explain what happened there. (for instance, you think they did it when they filled it with gas. did you see it before they filled it with gas?) mine had a tiny dent in the driver door window trim, which I noticed a day after delivery (like maybe a rock chip/dent?). I called them up and asked if anything could be done; they offered to order new trim and replace it at the next visit. I think it's reasonable that they replace your bumper (and they should not be giving you grief about that), but I don't think it's reasonable to demand a new car.

5) stop check. umm, how do you feel about your overall experience with them? If they whole experience has been crappy and you think they will screw you over, then sure, stop the check. but if all has been well except the clear bra and crease (and assuming they said, "oops, we'll take care of it), then I think it's bad form to stop the check. it sounds like they were giving you grief about the crease; what about the rest of the experience?

don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-dealer or anything, but I don't expect EVERYthing to be perfect, and I'm happy as long as they say, "yeah, it's not perfect, but we'll do our best" Kash

Old 12-09-2006, 02:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
My .02 worth....
A new replacement vehicle, out of the question and unreasonable.

Putting a stop payment on the check...yea, I would've too with the attitude and statement said to me and I quote your statement you said that was told to you. " I could just say "No", and deny your claim, and be done with, but I'm choosing to deal with it."
Unprofessional in my book.

The Dealer's subdivisions (sales, finance, service) are a TEAM. If one department screws up...example, damaged your new G, screwed up your clear bras, which I'm sure you paid to much for at the Dealer, comment stated by the Manager, it blows the experience as a whole. One awe $hit, wipes out all the at-a-boys.

Too bad your salesman wasn't happy about the check stop payment. He can mentioned it in their little morning pow-wow meeting as to why that happened. Sure it wasn't his fault, it was the guy who went to get gas for it and the armature who installed your clear bras. As a TEAM, one or a few persons actions affects the whole TEAM in my book.

No car...no money.
Hold to your guns until it's done right and looks brand new again and the clear bra is acceptable.
Dealer offers it, you paid dearly for it, it should be installed correctly and professionally upon delivery before the deal is final, you accept your flawless new car and downpayment given or get something in writing stating they will fix those things if you close the deal. Don't trust word of mouth.

G/L

Old 12-09-2006, 03:31 AM
putting a stop payment on a check after you drove the car home is just wrong.... u drove it home. all sales are final.. yes they were a **** but they did work with you in the end.

if i were the dealer, i would take the car back as a lost, and blacklist ur azz thoughout the entire dealership database and never sell you anything....

and yes, b4 they even give you the keys, they take a good walkaround and make sure the car is in emaculate condition... Why you ask? To prevent send backs such as these..... I highly doubt the dealership would let you drive off knowing the vehicle was damage.... You actually think they huddled up and planned it all out hoping you wont find out?

you have to give those greedy bastards more credit than that...

Old 12-09-2006, 03:53 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by cnaman
putting a stop payment on a check after you drove the car home is just wrong.... u drove it home. all sales are final.. yes they were a **** but they did work with you in the end.

if i were the dealer, i would take the car back as a lost, and blacklist ur azz thoughout the entire dealership database and never sell you anything....

and yes, b4 they even give you the keys, they take a good walkaround and make sure the car is in emaculate condition... Why you ask? To prevent send backs such as these..... I highly doubt the dealership would let you drive off knowing the vehicle was damage.... You actually think they huddled up and planned it all out hoping you wont find out?

you have to give those greedy bastards more credit than that...
not true, my brand new 05 came with a knick in the rear bumper right above the license plate. I didnt bother with it because it was nothing i couldnt fix, plus it was the only 05 sport sedan with the front lip, aero kit, and prem. pack.
-GP-

Old 12-09-2006, 04:59 AM
I think you are getting more than you are asking for...Cars are not items you buy at walmart or kmart that when you take home and find out is damaged you can exchange it, a G is a high ticket price item man....put yourself in the shoes of the dealer...it's your bad that you did not inspect the car up and down left and right when you got it....I think the dealer replacing the whole bumper is being way generous, i would have handed you the blow drier and let you pop that crease out yourself....i think in court they would eat you alive if you were to take legal action....be fair....

Old 12-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Putting a stop payment on the check & still having the car could be a case of theft/fraud.

At this point you need to step back & let them replace the bumper. Once you take delivery it's yours defects & all unless it's agreed that you have xx hours to inspect. & if that's not in writing it would be difficult to hold them to it.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:43 PM
well, i'm working to have the hold on the check lifted, so that it does go through

I agree, I did it out of haste, and to cover my ***, and maybe even went a little far with it, so...we'll see what happens, i'll keep you guys updated

Old 12-09-2006, 12:59 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I am gonna agree that it is your fault for not looking over the car throughly. Also clear bars are put on by installer who are not perfect so honestly if you didnt check thats not the dealers fault

Old 12-09-2006, 01:02 PM
It was dark when I bought mine, but I had them drive the car into the service bay, turn on all the lights, and I checked it for 20 minutes before signing anything.

Stuff happens all the time on dealer lots since the cars are constantly being moved around. Once you sign, you own it, ALL of it. They don't have to do squat after you drive off the lot unless it's proven that it is a manufacturing defect. However, there is a 30 day insurance policy that should cover collision, its just a matter of what the dealer's insurance covers as far as nicks, dings etc.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:11 PM
The lesson learned here is take your time when you purchase a car especially when taking delivery. If it's late at night and lighting is bad take it the next day. Don't let the dealership rush you because once it's off the lot it's yours. Remember, the dealership takes about 3-4 hours sometimes to close the deal and to get the paperwork done why not take at least 15-30 minutes to check out your car top to bottom. My $.02

Old 12-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front and rear covers are exchanged all the time. with the new cover, the car should look brand new and will not effect resale value. now...if they put a ding in the FENDER - than I would want major reimbursment. I think the stop payment was good action. Looks like the dealer is replacing your rear cover and all is good. just make sure the dealer understands you will pay once the vehicle is fixed.

Old 12-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
By putting that stop payment on the check, told them you will not be Di_ked with and to make the new G presentable as it should have in the first place.

Dealers hide stuff or try to get away with stuff all the time when they know they screwed up. I have too many personal experiences with many dealers and different makers. They're all the same 98% of them.

Best lesson learned here is never take deliverly at night, even with lights on.
You never see everything that may be wrong or damaged until daylight.

Glad they owned up and are fixing their screw-up.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by jdm rice
The store manager said, " I could just say "No", and deny your claim, and be done with, but I'm choosing to deal with it."
You should terminate your relationship with this dealership immediately. Get your car from someplace else.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1 Day after taking delivery of my 06 G35C 6mt: not a great one