The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

"New" type of Turbo setup...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2006 | 02:38 AM
|
"New" type of Turbo setup...

I heard of a new way to turbo a car without the turbo even being in the engine bay. It's done on cars such as the camaro because of tight spaces under the hood. Fitting everything under the hood (intercooler,pipes and turbo) is what makes the price of a turbo set up so high. Sounded very strange at first but them it make perfect sense. Consists of a turbo under the car in any well situated open space with its own air intake under the car. Pipes are run to the engine from the turbo (under the car) and will have a little more lag, not much, but the high side is that you don't HAVE to run an intercooler because the air is cooler with the pipe length. I'm currently researching this kind of setup on the net, will report back. Let me know if you guys know the name of this set up.

Old 12-29-2006 | 03:35 PM
its called a "remote"turbo set-up..it was first introduced on a older acura type r in sport compact magazine several yrs back..the reason why the are not so popular is due to the fact of driving in the rain with this type of set-up due to rain being sucked in the turbo inlet..turbo lag was also somewhat of a issue but on the postive side as you mention you dont have to run a intercooler due to the fact of having longer inlet pipes and the turbo is more subdue to cooler air...its somewhat of a cool idea,but if you drive your car in the rain,your pretty much sol..

Old 12-29-2006 | 04:19 PM
It is an STS turbo setup. Go to www.ststurbo.com. I called a few months ago and they were working on a setup for the 350Z. They were deciding between a Unichip or UTEC engine management to keep the cost of the kit down. Not sure as to the status of the kit these days.

I'm a little skeptical. I would like to see it in action in person. There has been some discussions over on my350z.com. Seems like everybody still likes the traditional turbo setup.