The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Acceleration Hesitation in 6MT...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2007 | 11:53 AM
|
Acceleration Hesitation in 6MT...

So I have been reading another thread about acceleration hesitation, but that was for a 5AT. I currently have a 2005 6MT coupe that I am having issues with acceleration. Here's a description of my issue:

Background Info:

- 2005 6MT G Coupe
- Moving from a Stand Still
- 1st Gear
- Novice Manual Driver

The Possible Issue I am having:

I step on the accelerator, but I do not start moving until 2 seconds later. The engine just revs for a second or two and then I start to go. It gets up to 4000+ RPMs and then it jolts out. This happens in 2nd as well.

Is this normal or is this human error? I would not be surprised if this was my own fault since I'm a novice manual driver. I apologize if this is a very newbie mistake, but please correct me if it is. I feel like I can't safely accelerate from a stop if I see an opening in traffic.

Any input would be appreciated.

WIL

btw. the traction control light does not come on, so I know I'm not slipping. The damn car just revs like a beast and doesn't really move.

Old 05-01-2007 | 12:01 PM
i'm no mechanic but by the sounds of it, it sounds like your clutch is giving out. how many miles do you have on the car? do you drive it hard? were you new to stick driving when you purchased the vehicle? was the vehicle used?

OR

it could be driver error...

either way something is going on there that isn't normal. if all else fails take it to the dealership.

Old 05-01-2007 | 12:09 PM
|
I think I'm going to take it to the dealership. Its still under warranty. It has 30,800 miles on it. I also have grinding issues when shifting into 5th gear.

I purchased it used from a used car dealership about a month ago.

I assume the dealership will not cover this if its the clutch correct?

Old 05-01-2007 | 02:18 PM
could be a clutch problem... i'm near 30k miles and my 5th gear grinds in the morning commute or when it has been sitting a while...

Old 05-01-2007 | 02:28 PM
Grocery getter
Premier Member
Sounds like your clutch and 5th gear synchro.

Old 05-01-2007 | 05:43 PM
Did you have your clutch engaged before you step on your accelerator? because that happens if you didn't engage your clutch to that "catch point" and step on the accelerator the car will just rev without moving (please correct me if I am wrong). I am not trying to accusing your drving ability, the reason I am asking that sine you're an novice and that's a very common error for all novice manual drivers (including myself ).
or I'm sorry, it's time for an new clutch.

Last edited by Kev G35; 05-01-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2007 | 03:40 AM
Clutch is slipping meaning clutch is wasted/gone, take it in asap......your gonna have to get a new clutch, running about300-400 i think and the longer you wait the worse its gonna get. I had to replace mine at 20k miles

also, you bought it at a used car dealer.... my guess is the previous owner probbaly burned the clutch and had fun with it before turning it in. So get that clutch checked out.

Last edited by Otacon132; 05-02-2007 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-02-2007 | 04:07 AM
2NDL1FE
Originally Posted by virtualbong
So I have been reading another thread about acceleration hesitation, but that was for a 5AT. I currently have a 2005 6MT coupe that I am having issues with acceleration. Here's a description of my issue:

Background Info:

- 2005 6MT G Coupe
- Moving from a Stand Still
- 1st Gear
- Novice Manual Driver

The Possible Issue I am having:

I step on the accelerator, but I do not start moving until 2 seconds later. The engine just revs for a second or two and then I start to go. It gets up to 4000+ RPMs and then it jolts out. This happens in 2nd as well.

Is this normal or is this human error? I would not be surprised if this was my own fault since I'm a novice manual driver. I apologize if this is a very newbie mistake, but please correct me if it is. I feel like I can't safely accelerate from a stop if I see an opening in traffic.

Any input would be appreciated.

WIL

btw. the traction control light does not come on, so I know I'm not slipping. The damn car just revs like a beast and doesn't really move.
isn't this what manual shifting is all about? clutch in, put it in gear, step on the accelerator, release the clutch. i think it all depends on when you are balancing the clutch.

Old 05-02-2007 | 04:09 PM
Have you tried turning off the VDC?

I might be wrong, maybe you did, if that's the case, i ahve no idea.

Sooiseng

Old 05-02-2007 | 04:18 PM
Who me??? NAAAAAAA.
its probably just your clutch not any of your synchros. When the clutch is burned away enough it wont engage when pressed in and while shifting it might make grinding noises. Get your clutched changed and take it from there.

Old 05-03-2007 | 04:20 PM
Definitely the clutch.

Old 05-07-2007 | 03:49 PM
Sounds like clutch technique to me. You did say you are a novice manual TX driver...you may be slipping the clutch excessively.

Old 05-07-2007 | 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by PsYcholG35
its probably just your clutch not any of your synchros. When the clutch is burned away enough it wont engage when pressed in and while shifting it might make grinding noises. Get your clutched changed and take it from there.

agreed, I highly doubt that it's the synchros. unless he's been mis shifting on the regular I'd say it's either the clutch slipping or his driving technique needs work. The G's clutch is kinda weird if you give it too much gas it'll wanna slip if you don't give it enough it'll just stall out.

Old 05-07-2007 | 09:47 PM
is it me - or is the achilles heel of the g35 the tranny? wtf@!!!

Old 05-07-2007 | 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by j-champaco
is it me - or is the achilles heel of the g35 the tranny? wtf@!!!

^^^^^ +infinity!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Acceleration Hesitation in 6MT...