The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

How to correctly drive an MT.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by chilibowl
Powershifting takes lots of practice, because you must be VERY quick. When powershifting, as soon as you push in the clutch, the revs will spike all the way to redline/fuel cutoff, and if youre not quick enough, you will be simply at fuel cut for about a second and you will actually lose time. Also, when slowing down to come to a light, I downshift and 3rd is as low as I go. Cruise to the light in 3rd and just brake the last few feet while putting it in neutral once u come to a full stop. You should also always be in gear. If youre going down hill, stay in very low gear, such as 2nd or 3rd, and the engine will hold itself from gaining too much speed. Downhill braking eats up brakes, ur better off just using the engine to brake.
Car and driver did a study on this. It only gave them 0.1 sec inprovement SOMETIMES on 1/4 mile. No need to abuse the tranny and clutch.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:36 PM
brb getting cut
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea i made a GOOD choice in going 6MT, look at the beginning of the thread where i was a little baby asking so many questions on how to drive MT!
*pat myself on back*

Last edited by MIA BlazinVQ; 09-13-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Alan
i gotta disagree with this. brakes are meant to slow you down. i know our engines are pretty tough but i would think excessive engine braking causes additional wear on the engine. i would much rather replace my brake pads than my engine.
You are correct, what would you rather replace, pads or a clutch and engine?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Gdriver916
Your motor and tranny can handle some something as simple as this. However, your brakes might over head from the stress and fail. It's a lot safer to just use the engine and tranny to slow you down on a downhill.
The highest hill where i live is the land fill....

Yes you are correct, some downhill grade require using engine braking. However, in most day to day driving, it's not needed.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by MightyMouse
I gotta tip..
Save your money and get a car that's not a POS..
G35 6MT's suck *** if you get an 05 and up..
I just love the "I got a lemon so ALL Infinities Suck ass" posts.

I have 60K on my sedan. It has been the MOST RELIABLE car I have ever owned.

Problems I have had:

One stitch came loose on the back seat, fixed under warranty

Loose bracket on sunroof, fixed under warranty

That's it.

I have done regular maint. and and one set of tires. I did a brake job (myself) I really didn't need to do. I had MANY miles left on them.

I'm not some grandpa that just drives it to the church and back. I have been in two Raging Bull Texas Stampedes and done some track work. I have done exactly two hard launches, tire spinning, smoking type. The rest of the time I drive hard but I don't abuse it.

I'm looking forward to a few more years with it.

As for your problems, yes you have a lemon. Yes, you should have gotten a new car out of it. And yes, I think SOME of your problems are "driving habits".

Old 09-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by M.I.A. BlazinVQ
yea i made a GOOD choice in going 6MT, look at the beginning of the thread where i was a little baby asking so many questions on how to drive MT!
*pat myself on back*
You go boy!

I can't believe how many people don't know how to drive a stick these days. When I took Drivers Ed (1970), you HAD to learn a standard as part of your course. It was a "Three on the Tree", but it was a standard.

Driving a standard is one of the things "Every Man Should Know How To Do".

Old 09-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I drive hard but I don't abuse it.
what does that mean?

okay.. i rev match into turns cuz im going to fast so i do it to slow down and when i rev match i dont hit the gas i jus let it slow down til i hit the turn and at the same time i do it so my rpms are high enough that i can excellerate out of the turn quick

Old 09-13-2007, 03:58 PM
nice video

Old 09-13-2007, 04:11 PM
brb getting cut
Originally Posted by gottarex
nice video
^^

oh and i think texas means that he drives it fast, but doesn't do stupid things like dump the clutch at 7K rpm or do excessive burnouts and hard launches. he just drives it fast(correct me if im wrong though texas, that's what i do )

Old 09-13-2007, 04:41 PM
I just love the "I got a lemon so ALL Infinities Suck ass" posts.

I have 60K on my sedan. It has been the MOST RELIABLE car I have ever owned.

+1. I had a 96 Infiniti G20t until July and it was the most reliable car I've ever owned, and I'm hoping my new G35 coupe will be the same. I sold my G20t to a friend of a friend and he uses it as a DD and loves it. Anecdotally, Infinitis/Nissans are generally very reliable - my parents, sister and bro-in-law all have Nissans, as do many other people I know, and they all love 'em. The guy got a lemon. **** happens.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:55 PM
brb getting cut
Originally Posted by kamalster
+1. I had a 96 Infiniti G20t until July and it was the most reliable car I've ever owned, and I'm hoping my new G35 coupe will be the same. I sold my G20t to a friend of a friend and he uses it as a DD and loves it. Anecdotally, Infinitis/Nissans are generally very reliable - my parents, sister and bro-in-law all have Nissans, as do many other people I know, and they all love 'em. The guy got a lemon. **** happens.
^+1

Last edited by MIA BlazinVQ; 09-13-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:56 PM
You go boy!

I can't believe how many people don't know how to drive a stick these days. When I took Drivers Ed (1970), you HAD to learn a standard as part of your course. It was a "Three on the Tree", but it was a standard.

Driving a standard is one of the things "Every Man Should Know How To Do".
+1
Welcome to the p#$sification of America. It's a shame. I believe in Europe iirc, it's a requirement to drive standard, as it should still be here.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by M.I.A. BlazinVQ
^^

oh and i think texas means that he drives it fast, but doesn't do stupid things like dump the clutch at 7K rpm
what exactly do you mean by dump the clutch at 7k rmp?

Old 09-13-2007, 07:36 PM
brb getting cut
Originally Posted by sliq
what exactly do you mean by dump the clutch at 7k rmp?
that's if you have the clutch in, you're in first gear, rev all the way to 7K, then the 'dumping' part would be you completely let go of the clutch, but i was just exaggerating. DONT DO THAT! that would be a lot of abuse on the clutch and driveline. you might get a sweet burnout though

Old 09-13-2007, 08:12 PM
so i guess driving it sorta fast and shifting at 4 rpm and rev matching into most turns daily isnt counted as a aggressive driver right? give or take a few drives where i push my car and shift it at about 6-7 rpm doesnt count right?

or does it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How to correctly drive an MT.