Owners of VQ Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 02:19 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^ Lisa,
Thank you for filing.

You may want to call Infiniti Consumer Affairs and explain your distance to nearest Infiniti Dealer and Nissan Dealer that's within reasonable distance denied you OC testing.
If no luck there, try calling Nissan Corp. If no luck there as well, call BBB.
Due to your Infiniti Dealer distance, an exception should be made on your behalf, imo.
I don't see the big deal having Nissan do OC testing, but actual warrany replacement I could see having to be done at Infiniti.

Hmmm...wish we all knew who that Attorney called. That's a nice short cut with no OC testing either, very nice.

G/L with your situation.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was taken from another thread about dealerships voiding your warranty. I think this would be very helpful.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/189172-can-dealership-void-your-warranty.html

Old 11-29-2007, 10:06 AM
brb getting cut
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow this might come in handy later on. Im only at 4K miles but i havent noticed signs of excessive consumption. I'll just have to wait and see for a couple thousand miles.

Great sticky, i'll definitely be back if problems arise in the future.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:32 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by KlokDeezal
This was taken from another thread about dealerships voiding your warranty. I think this would be very helpful.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189172
Yes, good info on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Could help your situation b/c of your HFC's.
Try maybe different Dealer that's more mod friendly.
G/L with your situation.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 11-29-2007 at 10:42 AM. Reason: it's too early (sp)
Old 11-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Yes, good info on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Could help your situation b/c of your HFC's.
Try maybe different Dealer that's more mod friendly.
G/L with your situation.
We have 3 local dealerships and all of them are mod friendly, it is just the corporate office is pulling the strings. The service guys @ the dealership is cool, but their hands are tied, that is the issue.

I am going to contact the FTC today about this as well.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by M.I.A. BlazinVQ
Wow this might come in handy later on. Im only at 4K miles but i havent noticed signs of excessive consumption. I'll just have to wait and see for a couple thousand miles.

Great sticky, i'll definitely be back if problems arise in the future.
Thanks.
For your sake, I hope you don't join us in the OC club. I wouldn't wish this plague on anyone.
Thank you for looking at my thread and yes keep it in mind if your VQ does end up with OC issues.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:57 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by KlokDeezal
We have 3 local dealerships and all of them are mod friendly, it is just the corporate office is pulling the strings. The service guys @ the dealership is cool, but their hands are tied, that is the issue.

I am going to contact the FTC today about this as well.
Gotcha...:sigh: so Corp is doing this to you...wow.
I still call BS on their reason for OC. IMO, it's mechanically impossible what they claim.
Federal Trade Commission, yes a good resourse too.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:52 PM
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
The service manager at the Nissan dealership I go to is very cool. He said if I can get some sort of authorization he would gladly do the consumption test. He also said I should raise hell to get the issue solved and it's ridiculous that we even have this problem with a "luxury" car. He apparently has replaced about 6 engines in Z's. I have no problem driving to Oxnard for the first oil test, and any warranty work, but not for every 1,000 miles. I would be going down there every couple of weeks if I drove my car everyday. I only drive it a couple days a week so it takes a while between oil changes. After the holidays I will pursue it more. Thank you for your recommendations.
Lisa

Old 12-03-2007, 11:56 AM
6MT Coupe
Brakes Up Date!!

It has come to my attention that Nissan has released a TSB only for the 2005-2006 350Z's with 6mt concerning this oil consumption issue.
TSB# NTB07-088 dated 11-27-2007.

IMHO, it fairly addresses their OC issues which is a win for them, but not us G35 owners.
To my knowledge, Infiniti hasn't released a TSB addressing the same issues we have with the same revup VQ.
TSB for Z's even address moderate OC consumption as unacceptable and VQ will be replaced under warranty, no questions asked after one or two visual determinations from Dealer.

Z owners got a win, however we have not....yet.
With that said, I stress us G owners with OC issues, even moderate ones, to continue filing your defective complaint with the NHTSA.

We have the same VQ as the 05-06 6mt Z's. Why don't we have the same fair warranty resolution from Infiniti?

Old 12-03-2007, 02:58 PM
For Those who want to read the TSB that Nissan has published, I have posted it here for your viewing pleasure.

NTB07-088.pdf

Old 12-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, that great news for the Z owners. Hopefully, the same will follow for G owners, as well.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:55 AM
6MT Coupe
Bump...

A statement was posted in an OC thread here earlier this week that Infiniti is going to be releasing a TSB for us sometime in February 2008.
Including possibly a 3rd version VQ replacement that they're currently working on, which is the reason they haven't released our TSB like the 350Z's back in Nov 07.

This is rumor, as I have asked this member to update and confirm, of which there's been no response.
As with all public forums, fiction is mixed in with fact, but it is hope for us Infiniti owners, hopefully not false hope.

In the meantime keep filing your complaints with the NHTSA, as I don't understand why Infiniti doesn't use NNA's current VQ replacement for our G's.
It has had very good success in solving this OC issue and has been available since June/July 2007.

I didn't mention in my 1st post that I also see this as a safety concern, of which the NHTSA also mainly looks at; defects that cause safety hazards.
If our VQ runs out of oil or almost while driving, it could seize and stop running which increases the risk of a crash.

The NHTSA recently discovered on 2002 and 2005-06 Nissan Altimas and Sentras the crankshaft position sensor can overheat and cause the engine to stop, which increases the risk of causing an accident.
Due to that discovery, Nissan has initiated a recall on these totaling over 650,000 vehicles affected.
-resource-: Nissan Sport Magazine 'insider' Dec 07 publication, issue 11

Proof that the NHTSA has the power.
Until we get our TSB like the 350Z's, I still urge all G35 people with past or present OC issue to file your complaint and maybe put a little fire under Infiniti's behind on our issue.
This delay has put another bad taste in my mouth as to where we stand in NNA's priority list on this issue, unless the rumor I mentioned becomes a fact.
But until it becomes a fact, I'm not holding my breath.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by drewbp
Nissan actually had a recall on my 2003 Altima, as the catalytic converter could break apart and be sucked back into the engine and cause damage. They replaced the converter with a brand new one free of charge. I know from the Altima forums that some people had engine trouble because they waited too long. So yes it is possible. Not the cause of your problems though.
thats mostly with the 2.5 engine i do beleive, because it happened with my 03 specv about 3 years ago, i had the car back with a new engine within a week as well as a new cat.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:09 AM
6MT Coupe
Speaking of the 2.5L. Here's a TSB from Amsoil that talks about 2006 Alitma's and Sentera SE-R's that have major OC issues. Nissan is considering possible bad rings as cause.

Nissan has informed the NHTSA about it due to possible fires in engine if and when they run out of oil.
There's been about 215 reports of excessive oil consumption, mostly from rental car fleets and 17 engine fires with one minor injury.

What's interesting as well, is Nissan also has automatically extended the warranty to 7/100K on those engine build dates affected.

Altimas TSB_Nissan_oil_consumption.pdf

http://www.nissannews.com/corporate/...02120416.shtml

http://www.oats.co.uk/images/stories...6Bulletin.html
^go to #11

So Nissan has address those two models with a 'recall' on OC issues and an official TSB on the 350Z's in Nov07, but hasn't told Infiniti to get with the program

We need to keep filing our OC defect complaints, if not already done so.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:27 PM
6MT Coupe
Exclamation Update. Infiniti Tsb On Oc

Well, just found out Infiniti jumped on the TSB bandwagon for us G35 folks...finally.

Still with the V2 replacemnet, so no V3 as rumored.
It's interesting how Infiniti stresses the break-in proceedure. Something I didn't see on the 350Z TSB.

Here it is folks:
ITB08-002 G35 OC TSB.pdf

I've heard of a few failures with the Z's V2 replacement. No better than the V1's.
If you still experience failures with our V2 replacements, you should file that defect additionally to your original defect filing.
It seems this VQ is NOT a 100% fix. Beware.
At least NNA has acknowledged this issue finally for us Infiniti folks more fairly.
Good faith attempt, but possibility not a 100% fix with us either.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 01-12-2008 at 12:38 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Owners of VQ Oil Consumption