The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Owners of VQ Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, I just got my new motor last thursday. Drove it to my hometown 236 miles one way using varies gears between speeds of 50mph, 55mph, 65mph and 75mph never going over 3500rpms as Infiniti books quotes on new motor break in not to go over 4000rpms some say 3000rpms but the book quotes 4000rpms. Once I got home the next morning I checked the oil and it was half on the dip stick. (WHAT) So I called the dealership told them the issue and was informed not to worry about it. So I added a half qt of oil and returned back to MD Sunday and checked it this morning before driving and noticed it was a little more then half. Just FYI this looks like I'm back to the same problem as before and my part number ends in 9. I will con't to check my oil every morning but if this problems goes on, I got to let the G go cause I'm not going half of my attention and time to a car that will get replaced after a period of time! There will be some people that will get there car right the first replacement, like my boy above and I'm happy for him but some of us will fall short and I feel your pain! Good luck to all.

Never just use your brain for today!!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kennyb
Yep, I just got my new motor last thursday. Drove it to my hometown 236 miles one way using varies gears between speeds of 50mph, 55mph, 65mph and 75mph never going over 3500rpms as Infiniti books quotes on new motor break in not to go over 4000rpms some say 3000rpms but the book quotes 4000rpms. Once I got home the next morning I checked the oil and it was half on the dip stick. (WHAT) So I called the dealership told them the issue and was informed not to worry about it. So I added a half qt of oil and returned back to MD Sunday and checked it this morning before driving and noticed it was a little more then half. Just FYI this looks like I'm back to the same problem as before and my part number ends in 9. I will con't to check my oil every morning but if this problems goes on, I got to let the G go cause I'm not going half of my attention and time to a car that will get replaced after a period of time! There will be some people that will get there car right the first replacement, like my boy above and I'm happy for him but some of us will fall short and I feel your pain! Good luck to all.

Never just use your brain for today!!!!
Geeez . . . Hate to read that. My car had a V2 replacement a few months ago. It's going back to the dealership, this coming Wednesday for further evaluation.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:00 PM
My V2 has already started a consumption test. I'm working on my first 1000 mile.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI !!! With the new motor it will burn oil for the first 500 or so miles ! After the rings seal it will not burn anymore oil ! I also had to add oil . Make sure you add regular oil and not synthetic !!! It will burn less and less oil until it no longer burns oil !!! Make sure you baby the motor as I put in previous post at top !!

Old 02-26-2008, 01:00 AM
Good looking out on that info champ^^^^^I feel a little better

Old 02-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^ Yes and a lot of times fresh motor will have had only 5qts put in from dealer with replacement, which is normal quantity, but fresh motors actually need 5.5qts for the first time to fill all the nooks and crannies. So your first initial level check could already indicate ~1/2qt low if dealer didn't do that.

Good discussion over here on OC issues:
https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins/197305-infiniti-rev-up-oil-consumption-tsb.html

And great info on first page here:
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232332

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 02-26-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added links
Old 03-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Just put in my complaint. I havent brung my car to Infiniti about the problem YET. I will when it warms up a little.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Just heard through the grape vine that non-revups receive the revup replacement motor during the long block swap. Keeping my fingers crossed as I start OC testing next month!

Old 03-07-2008, 03:24 PM
6MT Coupe
^ Nice.
However, when they swap you with a V2 long block, they'll use your original plenum and non revup lower collectors, along with your same ECU that will use the non revup VVT maps.

G/L on your testing and hope you get approved without issues.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:33 AM
6MT Coupe
Don't forget if you still, hopefully not, end up with another failure after your replacement, yes unfortunately their have been reports of this, be sure to file another complaint.

Apparently the current replacement is not a 100% guaranteed fix, so a recall imo would put some fire under their feet to hopefully get it right.

And the latest on their TSB for this issue:

Infiniti has revised their TSB on the OC issue.
Same revision with 350Z's. Both on 2-27-08.
They have eliminated the 0-500 and 501-1000 mile 'no good' columns.
The remaining chart is the same as the original TSB.

INFINITI G35 OC TSB REVISED 2-27-08 ITB08-002a.pdf

Old 05-07-2008, 01:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
got my 06 5mt in december with just under 15k on the odo. changed oil and filter the 1st week to k&n and 5 qts of mobil1. Put a quart in after 2500 and another half at 3k. Did a full change this weekend at 4500. 3 1/2 came out, so in 4500 it lost 2.5 quarts.

Installed the diy oil catch can this weekend also. Couple drops so far. It doesn't look like what's getting sucked through the pvc will equal the loss.

Looks like I am going in for a consumption test. Only engine mod is stillen z tube. Anybody think that would give infiniti any weasal room if they determine car is going through too much oil?

Old 05-09-2008, 11:50 AM
6MT Coupe
^ I'd say no, being the 350Z's use that style intake tube factory and they suffer this OC issue as well.
I had no issues with my dealer concerning OC testing with my aftermarket exhaust and Z-tube.

Anyway...be sure to file your complaint with the NHTSA. Even file again if your replacement fails.
NHTSA needs to know this issue is still not a sound 100% fix with some of the replacements.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:58 AM
I have an 05 Sedan 6MT and was experiencing this issue. I was also getting weird noises from the engine when it's cold, and an odd grinding from 5000-6000 RPM. I got my new engine put at 41,000 miles after a full OC test. I had also requested that when they take the engine out, to also inspect the clutch and to call me about the amount of wear, so I could decide then and there if I wanted to have it replaced (to save on labor since the engine is already out). The service person agreed that it was a good idea, and made a note of it on the work order.

Strange thing is, they told me the engine would take 5-6 days to order and arrive, and then the labor would be another week or so. Well, I got a call exactly a week later saying my car was done. I never got a call about my clutch. I went to pick it up and the clutch felt a little different. However, after 1,000 miles of babying the engine, now whenever I drive it after it sits outside at night, I get the exact same noise, and whenever it's between 5-6K RPM, I get the exact same grinding noise. The engine bay looks exactly the same - nothing looks new. Then again, maybe they do not replace the intake plenum when they do these jobs, who knows. The engine feels no different and makes the same bad noises. The oil level is already lower than it should be. However, I do feel that my dealer has given me the runaround and said they put in a new engine in the car when they really have not. But how can I know for sure?

Old 05-24-2008, 11:09 AM
6MT Coupe
^ With all due respect to your OC issues, these links are better to post your issues in:
https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/110973-everyone-check-your-oil.html
and/or
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197305

Post in those and I'll be glad to respond to your current situation.

Did you ever file with the NHTSA with your first VQ failure?

Old 07-30-2008, 03:58 PM
As an update to myself, I did put 10w-30 Mobil 1 in the car. Over 5k miles, I've lost about 500ml of oil. I have been very happy with the choice to step up the weight. Since only the "cold" weight changed, I guess the biggest problem on my car was oil loss during warm-up.

The is not the end all solution, but it's a nice fix until I figure out what's next.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Owners of VQ Oil Consumption