Owners of VQ Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
Saved.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I can smell the oil burning some in my new engine, only has a little over 100 miles on it. I let it warm up in the mornings and this 4k rpm thing is about make me go crazy. But I will do my best to keep it below the 4k. i have read somewhere that the VQ engines have to use conventional oil for a number of miles anyway for the piston rings to "seat" properly, has anyone heard of this? If this true, why does my dealership use a synth/conven blend? Should I use the same oil or use conventional oil for a while? I was going to contact my local AMSOil dealer, I know it is expensive but it is also synth, the first change I did with Mobil 1 in the old engine resulted in complete loss of oil after 2000 miles, so I am still unsure....Oh and I wouldnt mind the "bubble" hood if I had the HR.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by enphorcer
Good idea on the extended warranty. I think i may do that.

So far with 3K on the new engine, it was a little below halfway on the OK range of the dipstick. This is to be expected during break in.
Extended is 7yr/100K mi. Plus they don't start warranty over on your fresh VQ with zero mile/years. It continues what your odometer says and when first bought by original owner. Agree, good idea to have.

That's actually not too bad during initial break-in. Heard much worse, but better as well. You'll discover (hopefully) it will improve as more miles continue.

In all fairness of mine, it has been 'slowly' improving in general. My OC mentioned prior was my last oil service (5-10Kmi). This one in service seems to be doing a little better. My VQ will have hit 15K miles at end of this oil service and hoping less than a quart consumed this time.

Originally Posted by G3LU5
Yes, I can smell the oil burning some in my new engine, only has a little over 100 miles on it.
Hopefully that's just some residual oil they spilled on the VQ and will eventually burn off. If that smell doesn't go away, take it back to dealer; might be an oil leak somewhere. Mine never had that smell.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great info

You guys put out a lot of great information here, I see more useful information and less bickering than a ton of other forums... For that +1 to all of you!

I was and have been considering a 05-07 G35 for some time now, I've even been looking at the G37's, however; I feel they're kinda ugly (really ugly).
That being said, I guess I really much more enjoy the G35 stock look with stock rims. If ever I modded it, it would definately be a sleeper.

Though, seeing that a lot of you are plagued with this quite similar problem. I'm reconsidering, is it worth it I wonder? If I were younger, I'd say yes. Then again, I'm not and I want something that works... I've seen these quality assurance problems in everything: phones, cars, laptops, food, and even baby's toys.

Within the guides of modern day consumerism would anything else that I could purchase amidst this price-point be any better? Probably not.... I'm starting to think of building an older vehicle instead. You know like a 383 rat rod or something similar. Meh, dreams...

Just how much better are the latter versions of this car? Do they have similar problems? What are your thoughts? Do you find the new G37 ugly? I seem to like the 370z more vs the g37.

Anywho, thanks!

Old 01-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^ Welcome to G35driver. Wow you dug up an 'old' thread of mine. Glad we all seem better than other forums, thanks.

Never-the-less, this issue still occurs presently and those OC thread links I gave here are 'still' active.

Whichever you decide, I'd get an extended warranty so you don't get thrown under the bus so soon when factory power-train warranty expires.

No recall has been mandated. NNA must have very strong $$$ lobbying powers to keep the NHTSA off their backs.

Revup VQ TSB has been revised yet again since my last TSB update here:

ITB08-002d.pdf

G37/370Z's also have a TSB on their VQ37VHR with-in a certain VIN range concerning OC now. Sad b/c imo that is an awesome powerplant compared to the VQ35DE's, but wonder what production revision was made after those VIN's indicated.

G37 OC TSB ITB10-048.pdf

Old 01-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Can someone tell me what changed in 2005 to the VQ35 engines that may have caused this issue?

Old 01-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by teahead
Can someone tell me what changed in 2005 to the VQ35 engines that may have caused this issue?
The VQ always had oil consumption problems. Nissan has known about this issue since 2002. Google it.

In 2005, Nissan decided to increase the rev limit w/o upgrading the pistons and rings. Stupid move on their part.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
honestly, a better way to break in a motor is to drive it like you stole it.....IMO and from what ive whitenessed with other motors and such.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
To the people who are getting their engine replace with the shortblock:

You should get the dealership to take out the cylinder heads and tell them to soak it in hot water for a couple of days to get rid of the grease, etc. Because I heard the shortblock don't come with new cylinder heads. You don't want that 60000miles+ dirty cylinder head put right on to your new engine.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:40 AM
I had no idea that this tread was so old I look through these forums a lot but recently just regestered.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
The VQ always had oil consumption problems. Nissan has known about this issue since 2002. Google it.

In 2005, Nissan decided to increase the rev limit w/o upgrading the pistons and rings. Stupid move on their part.
You know in a way, I am right there with you. B/c the way they make the ecu's now they "learn" the way you drive and then set themselves up for your driving style. If you are going to drive the car hard on a daily basis, then let the car break in this way, do not granny the car around for months to "break it in" then let loose, just drive the damn thing and I think you will see a better and smoother running car.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 AM
For the price of a 07 G35 I can get an 08 370Z, what the hell's the point... I guess I've made my decision. Thank you all for your help and pms!

Old 01-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers

Does this mean that just b/c Nissan increased the rev limit, customers with oil problems rev'd up their motors to the new limit?

Hmm...I'm a little skeptical.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by teahead
Does this mean that just b/c Nissan increased the rev limit, customers with oil problems rev'd up their motors to the new limit?

Hmm...I'm a little skeptical.
No, not all. Because like I said, Nissan "KNEW" about the OC issues since 2002. Before the increased the rev on the VQ35DE motor.

Some people with the non-rev up G also had their motors replaced due to OC. It's just happens MORE on the rev-up motor.

I mean you have a motor that is susceptible to OC and Nissan decides to increase the rev.... What do you think will happened?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:08 AM
87,500 mile and 3 more quarts between oil changes.
Very PO'ed. My last Nissan ever.

Out of warranty of course, so I'm looking at $8K for a new engine installed by dealer.
(That's NOT going to happen...)

BTW does anyone know if you can drop a 3.7 into a G35? Has it been tried?
That might be a pretty nice ride...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Owners of VQ Oil Consumption