The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Owners of VQ Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tegraphile
As an update to myself, I did put 10w-30 Mobil 1 in the car. Over 5k miles, I've lost about 500ml of oil. I have been very happy with the choice to step up the weight. Since only the "cold" weight changed, I guess the biggest problem on my car was oil loss during warm-up.

The is not the end all solution, but it's a nice fix until I figure out what's next.
I see that you own a 03 G35... This issue mostly concerns all the rev-up owners..

10w30 is a little thicker... It's also said to help the oil consumption issue. It's definitely not a fix.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drive4fun
I see that you own a 03 G35... This issue mostly concerns all the rev-up owners..

10w30 is a little thicker... It's also said to help the oil consumption issue. It's definitely not a fix.
Sorry, wrong thread. That was supposed to be my update under "Everyone: Check Your Oil!"

Although it's a disappointment that this issue warrants two full blown threads.

I make the distinction of a solution (long term/permanent) vs. a fix (short term/temporary)

Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Try a little Lucas Oil Stabilizer

This will reduce the oil consumption in most VQ engines by about 20%. G35 Coupe has White Glove results after every oil change. It is so good that my Dealership Technicians are now using it on their own rides...

Old 09-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes infiniti's answer to oil consumption is run heavier oil to the point that dealers are defying the OC TSB and using 10W30 to try to skew the test. the tsb clearly says 5w30.

oil weight has a direct effect on fuel economy and the numbers infiniti/nissan are reporting to CAFE are based on 5w oil as recommended by the owners manual.

Not only is it invalidating their cafe reporting it does little to negate the fact that the efected engines have an oil consumption problem.

Don't be fooled. The 10w oil recommendation has everything to do with avoiding a recall or individual engine replacement and nothing to do with what is best for the car and owner. If you don't believe it find anything from infinit IN WRITING that 10w oil is recommended.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldiedenver
This will reduce the oil consumption in most VQ engines by about 20%. G35 Coupe has White Glove results after every oil change. It is so good that my Dealership Technicians are now using it on their own rides...

Interesting.. Seems like we need to research more about this Lucas Oil Stabilizer. This is still not a fix to the problem but maybe it will help. I think it all has to with $$$. Infiniti knows what they have to do to fix the problem.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Heavier weight oil and oil additives!!

Agree to all recently said above. Games....in attempt to make this issue go away and deny expensive customer warranty claims with their known defect, including defective warranty replacements. 10w-30 knew about for some time, now oil additives!! All the more reasons to watch dealers with any related services related to OC and the TSB, like a hawk!!

Over-filling at start of testing and/or topping off before official level reading are other games played. Both I have personally experienced from two different dealers during TSB OC testing while attempting to qualify for warranty replacement. I played harder and smarter than them, with-in TSB guidelines, and finally qualified/received my so-called warranty fix of a replacement.

And yes, the almighty dollar. Without a recall, there's no real incentive for them to find a 100% fix. They're limping along with this 50/50 replacement fix, just waiting for all rev-up VQ's that were produced and/or replaced in surpassing warranty coverage. After that, they're off the hook permanently at their cost and becomes ours down the road if or when it fails prematurely.

Updated my first post to reflect the release of the long ago TSB and continuing current TSB replacement failures with these rev-up VQ35DE's.
Long over-due edit/update. Older opinions etc for filing a complaint pre-TSB days, have been deleted/edited. New reasons/opinions/concerns stressing the continued importance of filing a complaint are posted.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:43 PM
fgc moderator
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
anybody ever hear of this happening on an auto? ive got a 05 coupe and my car just died. its at infiniti right now and initially it appears it might be an oil issue. they are pulling it apart tomorrow so i should know more then.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:23 PM
6MT Coupe
Over the years, have heard more and more non rev-up with OC failures.

You non rev-up ppl should file too. OC failure is OC failure...valid reportable defect imo.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Did the dealers tell you that there was no break in period for the engine replacement? Mine did. I had the engine replaced due to the oil consumption issue at no cost, and the dealer said they were already broken in.

Did you guys get the same feedback?
I have a post detailing this in the oil consumption issue thread:
https://g35driver.com/forums/3576543-post1139.html

Old 10-29-2008, 03:27 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Gammawolf
Did the dealers tell you that there was no break in period for the engine replacement? Mine did. I had the engine replaced due to the oil consumption issue at no cost, and the dealer said they were already broken in.

Did you guys get the same feedback?
I have a post detailing this in the oil consumption issue thread:
https://g35driver.com/forums/3576543-post1139.html
I've posted on that thread before. I'll reply over there later on...

Old 03-02-2009, 02:56 PM
I have an oil drip/leak problem that the dealer will not address....Can someone advise me as to how to handle this?

I have complained about a burning smell in my car for the past one year (ten thousand miles). I've had three oil changes (my fourth last week) in the meantime. Each time I call the dealer to complain that something is wrong. They claim that they looked at the car and cannot duplicate the issue. Also, they never even bothered to tell me that my air filter needed to be changed.

I've got a picture of the oil leak/drip. How should I handle this now? My feeling is that the dealer doesn't want to fix the problem.

I also complained to the dealer that something is wrong with my radio, because it doesn't display the radio info like a RDS radio should. They told me that my car doesn't have an RDS radio. Infiniti customer relations just sent a written confirmation stating that my car is equipped with this function.

What do I do, here? this is crazy???

Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 PM
6MT Coupe
^ Call Infiniti customer service and file complaint and/or go to a different dealer.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Thank you.

I did both. The other dealer, Infiniti of Manhattan said that they won't replace the gasket either, if they can't duplicate the problem. I've checked other blogs and Infiniti of Manhattan does the same foolishness, in terms of not fixing problems until they can charge the customer for it.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:05 AM
6MT Coupe
^Can't duplicate problem...typical answer here in California too depending what it is and when dealer is dumb as a rock -_-
Here's a good one on OC issue I was told prior to TSB...'It's normal' or 'It's my driving habits'

Guess dealer seeing oil and grime all over the area isn't an obvious problem on yours
Not sure if powertrain warranty covers where you're leaking (don't see why not), but do know for sure this known oil leak found on some are:
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...rranty-up.html

G/L with everything.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Lucky me. During this last week I've noticed that after a 10-20 mile trip once I put the car in park I hear a "knock, knock, knock" sound. To me it didn't really sound like what I would call an engine knock. When the car is put back in Drive or Reverse the knock goes away. Put it back in park and there goes the knock again.

So I dropped it off at the dealership this morning and received a call around 4pm stating that my oil was a little low and they are going to start the OC test. Which means every 1000 miles I have to bring my car in to have them check it. I think he mentioned that it will probably take about 3 or 4 1000 mile cycles before a decision is made.

Man, this sucks. Prior to purchasing this car I had a Toyota XRunner and never had an issue with it. I go out and buy a 30k vehicle and find myself at the mercy of the Stealership.

When I asked the service guy if it was covered by the warranty he stated it was but said something to the affect that the a Technical so and so would have to make the final decision. I will f**kin go the f**k off if they try and screw me.

Any advice on this. I'm pretty sure someone gave some in this thread but I read this tread a while back and don't feel much like reading through it again.

just b/c it's funny.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Owners of VQ Oil Consumption