The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Owners of VQ Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^ The knock knock knock sound is from basically having hardly 'any' oil in there and is a classic sound for that.

If you have a non-revup VQ, then yea it's a lot of OC test returns. If you have a revup VQ which is under the TSB on those, then it's only one return trip and that can be any where from 1000-3750mi on returning stated in that TSB.

G/L with which ever VQ35DE you have.

-edit-
Your 2007 would be (assuming it's a coupe and not a sedan):
6mt = revup
5at = non revup

Don't forget to file your complaint with what this thread topic is about......

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 04-03-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's a 07 coupe 5AT. So is there a different TSB that I should be looking at? And yes I will be filing a compliant.

Why are those who have been forced to pay out of pocket for this issue not filed a class action lawsuit? Is that not an option?

Old 04-04-2009, 10:48 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by cpezie
it's a 07 coupe 5AT. So is there a different TSB that I should be looking at? And yes I will be filing a compliant.

Why are those who have been forced to pay out of pocket for this issue not filed a class action lawsuit? Is that not an option?
There is no TSB for the non revups that I know of.

I haven't read of anyone paying out of pocket. Usually these VQ's go South during the standard power-train warranty period.

There's two main OC threads on Driver and one main thread on my350. Lots of stories, knowledge, experiences, the good/bad/ugly in those. I have for years and still do, contribute heavily in those.

There's a TSB more so for your noise when engine is at idle (re-reading your original post), but it's a ticking noise rather than a knock. Regardless, cause of that ticking noise = low oil = internal oil consumption, unless due to an oil leak.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by cpezie
Lucky me. During this last week I've noticed that after a 10-20 mile trip once I put the car in park I hear a "knock, knock, knock" sound. To me it didn't really sound like what I would call an engine knock. When the car is put back in Drive or Reverse the knock goes away. Put it back in park and there goes the knock again.

So I dropped it off at the dealership this morning and received a call around 4pm stating that my oil was a little low and they are going to start the OC test. Which means every 1000 miles I have to bring my car in to have them check it. I think he mentioned that it will probably take about 3 or 4 1000 mile cycles before a decision is made.

Man, this sucks. Prior to purchasing this car I had a Toyota XRunner and never had an issue with it. I go out and buy a 30k vehicle and find myself at the mercy of the Stealership.

When I asked the service guy if it was covered by the warranty he stated it was but said something to the affect that the a Technical so and so would have to make the final decision. I will f**kin go the f**k off if they try and screw me.

Any advice on this. I'm pretty sure someone gave some in this thread but I read this tread a while back and don't feel much like reading through it again.

just b/c it's funny.
Well I'm coming up on 1k miles and my dipstick doesn't appear to be showing any loss of oil and the knocking noise isn't as prevalent.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:54 AM
Hey there, just wanted to say thanks for all the great info. I have a 2005 black G35 6MT with HKS exhaust and I just found out that my G is at risk of OC. I never notice this problem with my G until these last couple of oil changes; my mechanic (I don't get my oil changes from the dealership anymore) advise me to look into whether or not others have this issue because every oil change he did, there was only 2qt coming out.

My G was a weekend car when I first got it until this last year that I been driving it everyday. I admit that I am pretty rough with it from time to time, but my mechanic said the oil shouldn't be draining this bad. I read most of the thread (of course not all of it) and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good Inifiniti dealership in Los Angeles county, CA. I only had bad experiences with Infiniti dealerships and that's the reason why I refuse to get my oil changes there.

I always have bad luck with Inifinit dealerships. For example, one time when I broke a sensor on my one of my rims and brought it in for them to find what was that weird noise. I didn't know what that noise was and either did they; yet they blamed it on my HKS exhaust and refuse to investigate further because I had after market rims also. They advice me that the noise was coming from the exhaust and told me to change it back to stock and the noise will go away. Which wasn't true because I took it to some other small mechanic and they found the problem right away (a broken tire sensor). They didn't want to fix my right side window when it didn't want to roll up. It took me over a year to convince them to fix the rear axle which was clicking on acceleration. I just hate most of the Infiniti dealerships. These are the dealerships I've been to and the ones that gave me bad customer service: Glendale Infiniti, Metro Infiniti, Cerritos Infiniti, and Fresno Infiniti.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:04 PM
6MT Coupe
^File a complaint with Infiniti Customer Affairs on those dealers with your poor warranty service issues and denials.

File a complaint with the NHTSA about your oil consumption.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Saw your post in OC thread. Will respond later....

Old 05-03-2009, 10:11 AM
I have a 2005 G35 coupe 6spd mt, in order to get the oil consumption test, this is done only at a Infiniti dealer?

Old 05-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonyboys77
I have a 2005 G35 coupe 6spd mt, in order to get the oil consumption test, this is done only at a Infiniti dealer?
Yes...

Old 05-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Newb Question

I am new VQ35 REVUP owner and I am new to this forum. I have read a number of the posts related to oil comsumption.

I have just reached 1,000 miles driven during my ownership of my 06 6mt Sedan (car has 20,350 total miles now). I have no noticable oil consumption during this time. Does this indicate that I am lucky, or do the OC problems typically turn up later in the life of the engine?

I plan on continuing to check the oil at each fill up until I am confident that I do not have a significant OC problem

Has anyone conducted a poll to see what percentage of REVUP owners are experiencing OC problems? Just curious.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:49 PM
6MT Coupe
You're one of the very few lucky. Search for OC threads on here and over on my350.

Old 'non official' poll not kept up to date but here's a start in your OC search:
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...nsumption.html

Old 05-14-2009, 08:05 PM
So I took my car in for my new engine on Tuesday and now they are telling me that there is a charge for reinstalling my HKS exhaust.....

I wanted to ask if anyone was charged a fee for having their mods reinstall when going through the process of their new engine?

Old 05-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by itzG
So I took my car in for my new engine on Tuesday and now they are telling me that there is a charge for reinstalling my HKS exhaust.....

I wanted to ask if anyone was charged a fee for having their mods reinstall when going through the process of their new engine?
Do you mean UNinstalling and going back to stock? An exhaust has NOTHING to do with oil consumption issues.

Did they tell you what the observed oil level was on the dipstick?

Old 05-15-2009, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by MarkG
Do you mean UNinstalling and going back to stock? An exhaust has NOTHING to do with oil consumption issues.

Did they tell you what the observed oil level was on the dipstick?

Well I qualified for the new engine, and the guy told me that they will have to take off the HKS exhaust to put in the new engine. The thing is that they are going to charge me $150 to reinstall my exhaust since it's an aftermarket part.

Is that stand? I just want to make sure cuz I don't want them to ripe me off just cuz I'm a girl.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:54 AM
6MT Coupe
^I was not charged anything concerning my aftermarket 'true dual' exhaust during warranty replacement, which had to be removed and re-installed.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Well my car has been struck by the OC issue now.
My warranty expires this June.
I only have 22k miles on my car after 3 years so it takes a while for me to drive 1k miles.

I suppose as long as I have them start the test I should be covered under the 3 yr/30k mile warranty even if it takes me past June to complete the 1k miles test.
Anyone have this same experience?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Owners of VQ Oil Consumption