The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Owners of VQ Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^ Infiniti's standard powertrain warranty = 6yrs/70K miles, which ever first.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Good to know, thanks.
De-stresses me a little

Don't know what I'd do without G35driver.
A lot of good info in this thread V35.
Big props to ya.

Last edited by irishsig; 05-26-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:06 AM
6MT Coupe
^Thanx. It's been my life for years.

Here's more about the OC issues with our revup VQ's:
https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...-your-oil.html
https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...ption-tsb.html
http://www.my350z.com/forum/engine-a...iscussion.html
^ I'm 06CPV35 in the my350z one.

G/L

Old 06-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just recently bought a 2007 G35 coupe that had a V2 replacement in it already (I also got $2500 off the used sticker price because I pointed out that it had the motor replaced at 28K). New motor has apprx 10K on it and the vehicle is certified pre-owned with 100k warranty. Previous owner traded it in because he said the new V2 motor they had swapped at 28K also had a oil consumption issue. I do not see a significant oil consumption issue as he did, and I am in my first few months of ownership. It loses about 1/2 quart of oil after my first 3500 miles of driving since I bought it. Oil being used was Castrol syntec blend. I asked them to change the oil to high mileage synthetic for the most recent oil change just to see how it would effect the oil consumption since it is within spec with a synth blend. I am hoping to see NO oil consumption but I would expect to see 1/2 quart lossed by my next oil change since its full synthetic oil and a bit thinner.

I did not notice that a lot of the posters on this thread have had a Dyno on the newer V2 motor once they got it replaced. FYI - I am getting a dyno this coming Wednesday on my V2 motor, I will post my results. By the way, this thread rocks. It helped me out a great deal in knowledge and dickering on price when I bought my 2007 G35.

Last edited by buckwilly; 06-05-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm in the middle of an OC test on my 06' 6mt Sedan. At 2250, i checked the dipstick is down 15mm already. This is in the "NO GOOD" section of the TSB chart.

I took it in. I waited an hour for the service department to finally come get me in the waiting room. They stated , "it's only down 3/4 quart", and that this is acceptable. They stated 1qt per 1000 miles is the typical acceptable limit from Infiniti. I was shocked, and got rather irate. Could you imagine 1qt every 1000 miles? I told him i'd never have to change the oil at this rate since it will always be fresh! What BS!

The tech came in , and kept saying 3/4 qt low. I asked how many millimeters and he looked at me like i had two heads. He finally muttered 15mm. They didn't want to listen to anything i said, and only told me to come back in another 1500 miles for the final check.

The tech also went on a tirade about how I shouldn't use synthetic oil, and how Nissan recommends against it because the "molecules are too small".

I'm not impressed with this dealer at all. The name is Ray Catena in Edision , NJ (where i purchased the vehicle from).

Next time I go, I'll be prepared with the TSB, ruler, and camera all prepped for their BS attitude.

BTW- i overheard them charging a guy for $550 to change out the MAF sensor on his G! Was an older guy that didn't know any better! Rip-off stealership!

Old 06-06-2009, 04:16 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by buckwilly
.... Previous owner traded it in because he said the new V2 motor they had swapped at 28K also had a oil consumption issue. I do not see a significant oil consumption issue as he did, and I am in my first few months of ownership. It loses about 1/2 quart of oil after my first 3500 miles of driving since I bought it. ...

....getting a dyno this coming Wednesday on my V2 motor, I will post my results. ...

....this thread rocks. It helped me out a great deal in knowledge...
Your OC is about the same as mine with 10K on it. Mine almost 100% done with break-in. They take awhile it seems.

Dyno: I'm curious as well. Did dyno pulls on my original, but not with my TSB replacement.

I learned a lot from those other OC threads over the years. Glad to hear this one helped you. Thanks for the comment.
Originally Posted by enphorcer
....They stated 1qt per 1000 miles is the typical acceptable limit from Infiniti. ...

The tech came in , and kept saying 3/4 qt low. I asked how many millimeters and he looked at me like i had two heads. He finally muttered 15mm.

The tech also went on a tirade about how I shouldn't use synthetic oil, and how Nissan recommends against it because the "molecules are too small".
1qt/1000mi was standard until first TSB in Jan 2008 for us. Same standard for 350Z's folks until Nov 2007 with their first TSB.

1qt=24mm
3/4qt=18mm
2/3qt=16mm
1/2qt=12mm
so on...

Where in the owners manual does it say no Synth lol!! <--- lol'ing at tech not you.
Use of Synth has nothing to do with this defect...tell him that lol.

Your story is not uncommon in those OC thread links I gave earlier.

Don't forget to file: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 06-06-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Can this oil consumption process be completed at a nissan dealership or infiniti only?

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2009, 12:24 PM
6MT Coupe
Infiniti warranty replacement = at Infiniti dealer only to my knowledge.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:39 PM
ive also heard these engines hate synthetic and also noticed i started having OC when i started using synthetic it could all be conincidence though.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:47 PM
6MT Coupe
Dino or Syntn didn't matter with my original oil burner. It consumed at the same rate regardless. My replacement is doing just fine on Synth.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:55 PM
My dealership said to expect a little more loss of oil due to blow by with standard full synthetic, especially at the earlier stages of the new motor. But they said that using a high mileage full synthetic should be fine at this point of the break-in. So far Infiniti of Lake Norman has been great to work with. I have heard horror stories about their previous mgmt however. Anyhow, I am looking to my Dyno Wednesday night. I am hoping for 230-240 to the wheels with the stock V2 motor and have a baseline before I start modding.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:27 PM
The good news is that I now have my V2 engine installed. My last visit i brought along the TSB and showed the cust rep. He said "oh we know all about that". I didn't bother going into details on how they haven't been following the factory test guidelines and waited for them to check. He came back and said, "yup it BARLEY fails but we're going to replace your engine".

The fact is that it was 2mm lower than the failing grade at that mileage. I didn't bother making any comments since he said they are replacing it...

Took about 1 week, had a nice loaner car in the meantime. Got the car back now, and everything seems to be in order. the new engine is shiny, and I compared marking to make sure they just didnt clean up the old one. :P

I'm really working hard at keeping the revs below 4K for the first 1200 miles. Hopefully this is the end of OC!!

Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Your OC is about the same as mine with 10K on it. Mine almost 100% done with break-in. They take awhile it seems.

Dyno: I'm curious as well. Did dyno pulls on my original, but not with my TSB replacement.

I learned a lot from those other OC threads over the years. Glad to hear this one helped you. Thanks for the comment.
1qt/1000mi was standard until first TSB in Jan 2008 for us. Same standard for 350Z's folks until Nov 2007 with their first TSB.

1qt=24mm
3/4qt=18mm
2/3qt=16mm
1/2qt=12mm
so on...

Where in the owners manual does it say no Synth lol!! <--- lol'ing at tech not you.
Use of Synth has nothing to do with this defect...tell him that lol.

Your story is not uncommon in those OC thread links I gave earlier.

Don't forget to file: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

Old 10-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bobruggiero
Can this oil consumption process be completed at a nissan dealership or infiniti only?

Thanks!
Only at Infiniti. I just drove mine home to SW VA from Greensboro, NC. (Closest dealership) New engine. It is like a full blown tune up at 30k. To me it is a beautiful thing. I am looking into the extended warranty however, I expect it may happen again. Infiniti knows it, I have been on the runaround with lots of Infiniti execs. They all say that they are building long blocks just to resolve this issue and that the whole engine is new, however it is still the VQ35DE High-Rev, I fought to try and get the VQ35HR from the 07 put in, as far as I know there have been no issues with the VQ35HR, but who knows maybe they did their stuff right...Time will only tell. Really wanted the dual throttle bodied HR engine though. Will keep you posted on engine and noises, and such that I distinctly remember from the old engine. I live up a steep incline and all the noise comes out of the engine as I drive up, I heard a small crackle on my up just a min with new engine. The only thing is the whole no 4000 rpm for 1200 miles. I may take a little drive just to rack the miles so I can really check her out...

Last edited by G3LU5; 10-17-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:05 PM
6MT Coupe
^ G/L with your replacement and hope it's a winner.

Many have reported still having consumption, some with no more (same with the 05-06 350Z's). My replacement consumes, though not as bad as my original, but 'still has' oil consumption more than a quart every 5000 miles (reminds me of a Honda I had with over 150K miles on engine). TSB shows that's an acceptable amount, well not in my book on an engine that doesn't even have 20k miles on it and was broken-in correctly.

It's a roll of the dice on these replacements, as is with the original factory revup VQ's, whether you'll have this consumption issue or not. Nissan/Infiniti still has not produced a 100% fix.

Get the extended warranty. I have extended because I'm not all warm and fuzzy about my TSB replacement and not letting Infiniti off the hook that soon without one.

HR will not fit in first generation G's without extensive retro fitting, different ECU, bubbled hood (like the 2007+ 350Z's), etc. Plus under warranty, you'll only get the DE block type you originally had before.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Good idea on the extended warranty. I think i may do that.

So far with 3K on the new engine, it was a little below halfway on the OK range of the dipstick. This is to be expected during break in.

I worked very hard to keep the revs below 4K on the break-in. Varied my revs, etc...

Just did the first oil change, with some cheap lube shop special Valvoline. I'm not going right to Synth like I did with the first engine. Going to run dino for the first 10K. Maybe it will make a difference in how the engine breaks in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Owners of VQ Oil Consumption