The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Help me convince my parents to buy a G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
omg wow.. i feel ya man.. that would really suck.. if they have that kind of money why dont they just buy your sister a car or give her the corolla and give you a g35!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
I didn't read the whole thread, but I agree with everyone who said keep the corolla to save on gas/repairs (think warranty) through college and show a little appreciation/sacrifice. Maybe when you graduate with honours, you could ask your folks to kick in for a sportier car. Especially if you're not even going to see it much through college.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:02 AM
I just picked up a brand new 08 G35x. Yes my parents pay for everything but gas. So yes I'm a little spoiled.

I think if you want the car and you've given it a lot of thought. Just go for it. Just know you need to live w/ the consequences if there is any. Also if you live in PA why do you want a rear-wheel-drive vehicle? Isn't there snow? Anyway besides that you should just get it if you feel its good choice.

Everyone here has given good reasons to buying it and not buying it. A Corolla is great on gas but def not a looker. Just think whats best for you because in the end, its your car, your life. Choose wisely.

Good luck my friend!

Old 06-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by tekieru
I just picked up a brand new 08 G35x. Yes my parents pay for everything but gas. So yes I'm a little spoiled.

I think if you want the car and you've given it a lot of thought. Just go for it. Just know you need to live w/ the consequences if there is any. Also if you live in PA why do you want a rear-wheel-drive vehicle? Isn't there snow? Anyway besides that you should just get it if you feel its good choice.

Everyone here has given good reasons to buying it and not buying it. A Corolla is great on gas but def not a looker. Just think whats best for you because in the end, its your car, your life. Choose wisely.

Good luck my friend!
It does snow pretty bad sometimes but I have it figured out. When it snows pretty bad, my Mom could just either go with my Dad into work 1 mile away down a straight road, or drive my car since there is little risk of an accident.

My sister could just drive my Mom's Jeep if she does either of those. I apperciate your help bro.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Honestly, you will have no enemies w/ the corolla. G's are gay.. You pretty much have to live the hard knock life w/ this car. BMW/ M3 guys despise you and talk all their **** cause u have a knock off Bimmer. Lexus guys look at you and say "wtf is that infiniti crap?" G's are slow, so its highly possible to get burned by a POS car. Gas is expensive, premium only. Horrible gas mileage. Mods cost an arm and a leg, and the mod bug WILL bite you. If you get replica stuff, people here will burn you and talk ****.

On top of all that you will get the scum of the earth haters that are jealous and will damage your car.. These cars are egg and key magnets.

Keep the corolla.. I read it was an 08.. Those look really nice and sporty.

Last edited by officerdbag; 06-14-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by ninous26
Honestly, you will have no enemies w/ the corolla. G's are gay.. You pretty much have to live the hard knock life w/ this car. BMW/ M3 guys despise you and talk all their **** cause u have a knock off Bimmer. Lexus guys look at you and say "wtf is that infiniti crap?" G's are slow, so its highly possible to get burned by a POS car. Gas is expensive, premium only. Horrible gas mileage. Mods cost an arm and a leg, and the mod bug WILL bite you. If you get replica stuff, people here will burn you and talk ****.

On top of all that you will get the scum of the earth haters that are jealous and will damage your car.. These cars are egg and key magnets.

Keep the corolla.. I read it was an 08.. Those look really nice and sporty.
I'm willing to go through all of that. This car is my dream car, it's not the fastest, and premium is gonna be like 3$ more per fill-up. I apperciate what you are trying to say, it may be one man's trash but it is my treasure haha. It will probably be a good 10 years before there is another car I like as much for the price, especially since I don't like the way Infiniti is going with their new cars.

And it's the 09 corolla's that look good. the model I have was made from 00-08(I think), and it isn't the S version.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkstar752
Hey guys. I want to buy a 2005 G35 coupe in place of the 08 corolla my parents got for me.

I'm currently looking at a $20,895 G35 coupe, 2005, 26,000 miles. I would be paying him back the difference from the trade-in to g35 cost. I have a couple good points, safer, same reliabilty rating, etc. It also seems that parts are cheaper for it too.

Can you help me find some more arguements to convince him to let me get it? Thanks in advance.
tell them to buy a G or you'll run away.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
tell them to buy a G or you'll run away.

All nice/quick cars are hated by others and if you are a G driver everything else fast hates you. If you are a 335i driver, G guys hate you. Just a circle of hate!

Old 06-14-2008, 06:39 PM

All nice/quick cars are hated by others and if you are a G driver everything else fast hates you. If you are a 335i driver, G guys hate you. Just a circle of hate!
Yea haha and the G is no slowpoke. I heard it starts to blow people away around 110 mph, and it's 0-60 is like 5.6 or something isn't it?

Old 06-15-2008, 11:58 AM

werd up....hahahahhaaha but i rarely find anything in sun daygo which matches speed for speed on the 5 well ok damn it theres those pesky "evos" which for dome damn reason people who drive "evos" or "STi" are fawkin cocky as hell

Old 06-15-2008, 12:32 PM
hey man i'll give you some honest, hate-free opinion since I'm kind of in the same position as you.

I think it's pretty strange that your parents just straight up bought you a car - that's not the kind of purchase you should just like surprise someone with because there's so many options (different makes, models, features, colors, etc.). BUT, I think it's a bad idea to trade back in the Corolla if you already have it. You're going to lose a lot of cash on depreciation and such to trade it in. On top of that, you're putting down a lot of cash for a car you're only driving during the summer and that your sister is going to have. I think it's a bad idea, since you're basically buying the car for your sister. Then in 4 years when you're out of college you have a 7 year old car - just doesn't make sense. Go ahead and keep the Corolla, then get a G as a College Graduation car.

Also - the insurance for me (18 yr old male, 08 G35S) is only like 500 for six months with the most possible coverage - so it ended up being cheaper than my old '00 528i

There is another option someone mentioned, have your parents just give your sister the Corolla then they will owe you a car for later on.

It seems like you don't actually NEED the car, since you'll be going away next year anyway.

Sorry for the ramblin'!

(What college?)

Old 06-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by popcornten
hey man i'll give you some honest, hate-free opinion since I'm kind of in the same position as you.

I think it's pretty strange that your parents just straight up bought you a car - that's not the kind of purchase you should just like surprise someone with because there's so many options (different makes, models, features, colors, etc.). BUT, I think it's a bad idea to trade back in the Corolla if you already have it. You're going to lose a lot of cash on depreciation and such to trade it in. On top of that, you're putting down a lot of cash for a car you're only driving during the summer and that your sister is going to have. I think it's a bad idea, since you're basically buying the car for your sister. Then in 4 years when you're out of college you have a 7 year old car - just doesn't make sense. Go ahead and keep the Corolla, then get a G as a College Graduation car.

Also - the insurance for me (18 yr old male, 08 G35S) is only like 500 for six months with the most possible coverage - so it ended up being cheaper than my old '00 528i

There is another option someone mentioned, have your parents just give your sister the Corolla then they will owe you a car for later on.

It seems like you don't actually NEED the car, since you'll be going away next year anyway.

Sorry for the ramblin'!

(What college?)
I apperciate the input. I'll be going to Bloomsburg University for 2 years, then Penn State for the final 2. The Corolla was a replacement for my Jeep, which the engine died on, and instead of replacing the engine they just bought a new car.

It will be depreciated, but I will be paying my parents back. I don't really see how my parents will see that as a drawback, espcially since I just found out my Dad makes about a quarter million a year. The corolla also deprciates faster than a G.

And to me, age of the car doesn't matter. By the time i'm out of college, the car will still be under 40K miles. I would much rather have my 11 year old jeep than my 6 month old corolla, it was a serious downgrade in every aspect except for mpg.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:59 PM
I apperciate the input. I'll be going to Bloomsburg University for 2 years, then Penn State for the final 2. The Corolla was a replacement for my Jeep, which the engine died on, and instead of replacing the engine they just bought a new car.

It will be depreciated, but I will be paying my parents back. I don't really see how my parents will see that as a drawback, espcially since I just found out my Dad makes about a quarter million a year. The corolla also deprciates faster than a G.

And to me, age of the car doesn't matter. By the time i'm out of college, the car will still be under 40K miles. I would much rather have my 11 year old jeep than my 6 month old corolla, it was a serious downgrade in every aspect except for mpg.
Yeah I understand its disappointing, but take into consideration that you won't be driving it very much. I say keep the Corolla, for the few months out of the year you actually have to deal with it, then see what you and your parents financial situation is in 4 years and maybe you can get a much newer 2nd gen G later.

It's not a big deal, if you were taking it to school I'd say hell yeah go get a G! But since your sister will be driving it, I wouldn't bother.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by popcornten
Yeah I understand its disappointing, but take into consideration that you won't be driving it very much. I say keep the Corolla, for the few months out of the year you actually have to deal with it, then see what you and your parents financial situation is in 4 years and maybe you can get a much newer 2nd gen G later.

It's not a big deal, if you were taking it to school I'd say hell yeah go get a G! But since your sister will be driving it, I wouldn't bother.
ok. btw I don't like the 2nd gen G's, I would only buy the first or the 3rd if that looks better.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:20 PM
ok. btw I don't like the 2nd gen G's, I would only buy the first or the 3rd if that looks better.
ouchhh

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help me convince my parents to buy a G35