The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Lower RPM's = Better Fuel Economy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2008 | 11:28 PM
|
Lower RPM's = Better Fuel Economy?

I have a sedan 5AT, and i use the manual shifter so that i can change gears early (just below 2000x), becaue i've always assumed that i use less gas this way..... anyone know if there's any truth to this?

edit- let's think about this, in lower gear, there' higher rpm's, but a smaller sprocket to turn... so less power? or in high gear, since there's less rPM's but a larger gear to turn.....

Old 06-12-2008 | 01:32 AM
ur right foot has more to do with it (literally) than the position of the rpms. Yes both can affect the gas mileage but the most important thing is to press the gas pedal as lightly as u really need to get around to get the best gas mileage. Don't worry about manual shifting mode, if ur foot is light enough the computer should shift below 2k rpm.

Old 06-12-2008 | 01:37 AM
b4 the gas was 4.47 in my area, i drive normally.. changing gears around 2,600k rpm..

now that gas is around 4.70, i feather the gas and shift just a tab bit over 2,000k rpm and i gained 3-4mpg..

oh, i also put it on neutral and let it roll down the hill..

Old 06-12-2008 | 02:02 AM
|
4.70???? OMG wow, i live in Dallas, and gas is about 3.90.... BTW everyone, only buy gas from these companies...
they don't import oil from Middle East or Venezuela... with enough people boycotting foreign oil, we can lower the prices.

Sunoco...............0 barrels
C onoco...............0 barrels
Sinclair...............0 barrels
BP/Phillips..........0 barrels
Hess...................0 barrels
ARC0...................0barrels

Old 06-12-2008 | 02:22 AM
Ya, and where do we get that brand of gas in dallas?? also i hope you are filling premium... i got some last night for 4.319.... and i am in dallas too.. .

Old 06-12-2008 | 02:25 AM
And do you think if everyone went there, they would be forced to get oil from mid east...

Old 06-12-2008 | 09:02 AM
|
LOL, i live in Lewisville, not exactly in the heart of the city Dallas, but i was around there couple days ago and it was only like 4.05..... BTW the prospectors are the ones causing the high gas prices, they are trading oil "futures". Basically they are sort of gambling on the possible future price of oil, driving it way up.... MY stig is that if we buy only domestic oil (domestically drilled AND refined), then possible the American oil companies can expand their refineries. Importing oil costs alot of money, especially if you consider the cost of securing our interests in the middle east or South America. It's not worth it to continue to deal with these cartels. We can become independant if we use our own companies and we should also tap ANWAR, and the gov't should stop stockpiling oil.

Old 06-12-2008 | 09:09 AM
^^Dont know how true this is but a buddy of mine thats heavy into politics told me that the US is planning to corner the market by using imported oil ie. Mid East and other foreign countries! Now the US is sitting on ALOT of its own oil! Ok so the ultimate plan is to bleed these foreign countries dry then we become the oil strong hold! i laughed at first but then i began to think about it... what do yall think?

Old 06-12-2008 | 09:15 AM
SIETESG
Premier Member
^^^^^^i see the ideal, but at the same time our country will be hurting. If thats their ideal lets hope it doesnt take so long.

Old 06-12-2008 | 09:45 AM
Not to knock what was listed earlier but they ALL have a mix of fuel suppliers, You can't find any one company that supplies only american fuel. Each and every distributor gets their fuel from overseas AND USA. Some get more than others, but when faced with only buying american, no one individual company does.

Old 06-12-2008 | 09:48 AM
It makes a big difference if you can actually do it all the time.

I tested it out a few weeks ago. I kept the rpm's at 2500 or less at all times (very hard to do in real traffic) and I got 29.8 mpg on hwy and 25 mpg city.

Someone else tested it too and had a thread about it 1-2 months ago with similar results.

Old 06-12-2008 | 10:42 AM
|
More Tips On Saving Fuel

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in t empera ture is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has 3 stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most impor tant t ips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

WHERE TO BUY USA GAS - THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON:

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should return the favor. An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia . Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.

Companies that import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell........................... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil....... ........ 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels
Citgo gas is from South America , from a Dictator who hates Americans. If you do the math at $30/barrel, these exports amount to over $18 BILLION! (Oil is now $90 - $100 a barrel. Don't buy from CITGO).

Companies that DO NOT import Middle Eastern oil:

ARC0..................0 barrels

Old 06-12-2008 | 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by UR2EZ
Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in t empera ture is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has 3 stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most impor tant t ips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up; most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

WHERE TO BUY USA GAS - THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ ON:

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should return the favor. An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia . Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.

Companies that import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell........................... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil....... ........ 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels
Citgo gas is from South America , from a Dictator who hates Americans. If you do the math at $30/barrel, these exports amount to over $18 BILLION! (Oil is now $90 - $100 a barrel. Don't buy from CITGO).

Companies that DO NOT import Middle Eastern oil:

ARC0..................0 barrels
go to snopes.com, they have proven this outdated data.

Old 06-12-2008 | 11:32 AM
This isn't really true. Tanks are buried far enough below ground and in double-walled tanks that daily air temperature variations have a negligible effect on the liquid temperature of the fuel in the tank.

But what about the fact that you're always running around with that extra weight of fuel? If you go through gas quickly, then the gas won't have time evaporate, and since you have less fuel in your tank, the weight is less and your efficiency increases. What is true for a giant storage tank might not be true for a car's fuel tank.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lower RPM's = Better Fuel Economy?