The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Gas Gauge WEIRDNESS !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I mentioned that to them before but its been tested and said its fine.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:05 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
G35 Coupe
Exclamation

For those looking for a cheaper parts source for the Sensor Fuel Tank O-ring, i found these sites that sell it for less compared to the 3x dealers i called which were in the range of $19 to 21$ per 1.

http://www.amsmotorsports.com/shop/i...nk-o-ring.html

http://www.injectedperformance.com/n...for350zg35.htm

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...a9ista148sjsm0

Old 05-28-2013, 08:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MaDMaXX
I've heard mention of the gauge cluster itself having issues.

I actually had to replace the cluster on my maxime. Changed fuel pump fuel filter and float and nothing worked until i changed the cluster hopefully this is not the case on my g gotta try the cleaning procedure

Old 03-20-2014, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone, so my fuel gauge would never pass 1/2 a tank. I did the DIY. I cleaned the fuel sending unit and it went a little above 1/2. I drive around and noticed it hasn't gone down. I cleaned the fuel pump sending unit. Nothing happened. I did this DIY twice. I tested the fuel sending unit out of the tank and raised the floater all the way up. And my gauge was only 1 1/2 line above 3/4. I pushed the floater all the way down and it read 1/4 not E. What should I replace ?! Fuel sending unit ? Or Fuel sending unit on pump?

Old 10-01-2014, 10:04 PM
I am having VERY random issues (unable to be tracked when itll happen again) where I go fill up my gas tank, but the pump prematurely releases the lock thinking that the gas tank is full, when indeed it is not.

I know for SURE that my tank was only 1/4 left, but an example would be when the pump releases the lock only after filling 3-4 gallons... and would not keep locked everytime after that for every $0.20-0.30 increment

So I would hold, pump released and stopped, hold again for another $0.20, pump released and stopped.... and so on

Would the replacing of the O-ring fix this issue? or is this a completely different issue at hand?

Old 10-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Are you in CA?

Old 10-02-2014, 12:22 AM
yuuup

Old 10-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by WTF??
yuuup
Its a bad seal on the pump. This happens to me now and then. The emissions laws are so strict here that if the pump doesn't seat properly it won't dispense.

The following users liked this post:
WTF?? (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
Its a bad seal on the pump. This happens to me now and then. The emissions laws are so strict here that if the pump doesn't seat properly it won't dispense.
So its just how the pump gun and the entering point of my gas tank seal up? Strange how its just my coupe and not any of my other cars.... frustrating!

Old 10-20-2014, 07:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Would the replacing of the O-ring fix this issue? or is this a completely different issue at hand?
Yeah thats on the pumps end not the car. I haven't had it happen on this car but one of my other ones would shutoff constantly and it would take forever to fill up. You can do one of two things, find a different gas station (mine happened everywhere I went) or hold it by hand and when it clicks off, instead of keeping the handle pointed down turn it a little to the left or a little to the right and hold it at a slight angle. Not facing left or right completely horizontal but more like bottom left or bottom right type of angle and that fixed the angle enough that it wouldn't click off anymore.

Oh and to comment on the original post even though its years old, when i first bought my g it had this problem where I would loose a 1/4 tank on the way home from work then the next morning I would drive to work everything would be the same then on the way home the 1/4 that i lost would come back, sometimes it didnt. I know its not recommended but a fuel system cleaner or fuel injector cleaner might solve this. I have not had it happen since it seems to have went away on its own i think, I know because the alcohol is corrosive and some lines are rubber its not supposed to be good but maybe if you take a long trip and you know you will burn through it within a day or so you could try it.

Last edited by RobertGST; 10-20-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I just recently replaced both fuel level sensors in my 2003 G, and it fixed the problem.

Here's how you can measure if your fuel level sender is working.

It's a simple variable resistor. The new sensors, when the tank is full, have a resistance of about 3 ohms, and when reading totally empty, they have a resistance of about 45 ohms. Measure your sensor with a multimeter (set it for resistance, ohms). If your sensor reads low (most likely), it's because it's showing too much resistance, and cleaning may help. In my case, the contacts had started to wear through after all these years, and cleaning would not have helped.

If your sensors are reading resistances in the right ballpark, then your cluster may be at fault.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by WTF??
So its just how the pump gun and the entering point of my gas tank seal up? Strange how its just my coupe and not any of my other cars.... frustrating!
It happens to my GFs smart car sometimes too. Next time you're at the pump look at the seat end of the boot (closest to the nozzle). There should be two arrows that line up (on top of the boot). If they don't line up it won't pump right.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by marcinr
I just recently replaced both fuel level sensors in my 2003 G, and it fixed the problem.

Here's how you can measure if your fuel level sender is working.

It's a simple variable resistor. The new sensors, when the tank is full, have a resistance of about 3 ohms, and when reading totally empty, they have a resistance of about 45 ohms. Measure your sensor with a multimeter (set it for resistance, ohms). If your sensor reads low (most likely), it's because it's showing too much resistance, and cleaning may help. In my case, the contacts had started to wear through after all these years, and cleaning would not have helped.

If your sensors are reading resistances in the right ballpark, then your cluster may be at fault.
So, how do you change out the sensor? I cleaned it and it worked the first time but came back then didn't work. The car fills gas perfectly fine and even the gauge arm goes up but doesn't go to F even though it is. Thanks for your help!

Old 10-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by paky786
So, how do you change out the sensor? I cleaned it and it worked the first time but came back then didn't work. The car fills gas perfectly fine and even the gauge arm goes up but doesn't go to F even though it is. Thanks for your help!
I just bought the two entire sending units at a local Infiniti dealer, or you can get them online a bit cheaper. Make sure to get the O-rings to seal the tank as well, as the old ones shouldn't be re-used. The sending units are the whole thing - resistor, float, etc. It's easy on the driver's side, and a little more work on the passenger side since you have to transfer the fuel pump and some bits and pieces from the old sensor housing to the new one.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I changed both sensors on my 2005 G35 and the gauge is still inaccurate. I goes to full when fueling, but is completely empty at a 1/4 of a tank. Is there a way to check the fuel gauge?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gas Gauge WEIRDNESS !