The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Hit underside of car on road construction plate, now there's a leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2009 | 11:24 PM
|
Hit underside of car on road construction plate, now there's a leak

Just moved to a new city (San Francisco) and knowing the streets are horrible here, I decided to raise up my car (pretty much back to stock height). Apparently this wasn't enough though.

Just now, the passenger side of my car hit a gigantic construction plate and I heard one hell of a loud bang. Seemed like the engine/exhaust note changed and the clutch pressure was feeling different, though this could be in my head.

The only thing I know for sure is that after I got everything parked ASAP, there was a small leak very close to the front passenger tire. Fluid seems to be water, but could be something else that's clear/odorless.

Any ideas on what happened/what I should be looking for when I jack the vehicle up tomorrow?

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2009 | 12:57 AM
Sounds like the condensation drain...

was your AC running? If so, completely normal.

But I'd still get that thing up, and check everything out!

Old 05-03-2009 | 03:41 PM
yeah what thatguy II said, your best bet is to jack the car up and start touching your G

im pretty sure its not the ac condenser because its a gas (freon) and when it leaks it has a pretty nasty smell, also if it still leaks its definalty not AC because the gas would be gone by now, it might be ur window washer fluid reservoir, is the leak on the passanger side?

Old 05-03-2009 | 09:59 PM
Jack it up and wipe down the underside to see where it is dripping. It does sound like the Window Washer Fluid Reservoir might have been damaged (if the fluid is clear/light bluish).

Old 05-03-2009 | 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by thatguy II
Sounds like the condensation drain...

was your AC running? If so, completely normal.

But I'd still get that thing up, and check everything out!
+1. There are no pipes or hoses on the underside of the vehicle with exception of the exhause pipes. The washer fluid is up high and near the front of the car.

Old 05-07-2009 | 02:23 PM
|
So thanks for the help guys and the leak was definitely a false alarm. Exhaust system was more jacked than I thought...but that's not too bad of a replacement. Unfortunately, there's a hole in the underside of my car that looks like will need to be fixed (see pics).

The hole highlighted in red goes straight through...any ideas how bad this repair is going to hurt? Is this safe to drive? What about the mangled black metal piece? This is towards the rear of the car.

On another note, this unfortunate set of events got me in contact with Eugene over at Enthusiast Auto Care in SF. Random plug, but Eugene so far has been awesome in helping me find shops to take care of all this. Going to be doing some overdue maintenance w/ him as well.

Attached Thumbnails Hit underside of car on road construction plate, now there's a leak-1.jpg   Hit underside of car on road construction plate, now there's a leak-2.jpg  
Old 05-07-2009 | 02:42 PM
Bummer. At least you didn't crack open your oil-pan.

Old 05-07-2009 | 02:55 PM
Did the same here and i bent the oil pan so i need a new one because it doesnt pump the oil up right nomore... That piece that was mangled happened to mine too....its called a tunnel some sh** assembly...