G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Ipod Adaptor for my Coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipod Adaptor for my Coupe?

Hey,

Before anyone tells me to search, i have already. The threads have been at least a year old, so i want to see if anyone knows if anything new has come out.

Ive found this
Amazon Amazon
but its a little on the expensive side, and i dont really need to control my ipod through the radio. Also found this, http://topiphonenews.com/scosche-passport-is-first-car-charging-adapter-for-iphone-3g/ but im not sure if itll work on my 07 coupe.

I guess my only option is an FM transmitter. The one at the apple store and/or best buy is about 60 bucks. There are cheaper ones on ebay and amazon, but i dont want to waste 20-30 bucks on something that will break down on me after a couple uses. Ive also heard that the FM transmitter dont work well in city areas. Im in San Jose, will it be difficult to find a clear channel? Does anyone know of any cheaper, more reliable FM transmitters around? Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Don't get an FM transmitter. They're crap and a waste of time and you'll be spending half the time trying to adjust sound volume/stations to find something that's clear. Plus the sound quality of your music is absolute crap through FM transmitters; you don't even need to be an audiophile to figure that out. As far as the integration is concerned, you can get the one from Amazon if you want but make sure it works with your car (I don't know how it work if your car is prewired or not for satellite radio or if it even matters) but I just stuck with the one straight from the factory that Nissan makes... It will obviously work since it was made for our cars; you just have to figure out if your car is prewired or not. I've been using it for a while and I have had no problems with it and it's absolutely great.
http://www.g35parts.com/G35-iPod-Fac...999u7-ipod.htm

Old 09-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Hmm for the FM transmitters, what classifies as a "clear" channel? Like something that already has a station playing on it, or a channel where there is static?

Old 09-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
The Amazon one is worth it, i have it. Best thing ever. Forget the FM, sound is crap.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Polishthrust
The Amazon one is worth it, i have it. Best thing ever. Forget the FM, sound is crap.
how difficult is it to install?

Old 09-06-2009, 02:00 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by silentxnight
how difficult is it to install?

real easy... here's a link on how to do it...

http://g35ipod.com/installHW.php?skin=1

Old 09-06-2009, 05:21 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I would try and stear you away from one of those FM transmitters as well. Used to used one for my civic and it was just terrible. Worked great for like the first week or two then it just went right down into the ground. Signal would always cut out and it ended up dead within two months.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Don't get the fm transmitter or I will slap you. Seriously its crap I use a cassette adapter right now it's alright.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^--lol

get the usa spec i have it, sound is amazing plus the install is really easy.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish I had just gone ahead a few years ago and got the cassette adapter. Bought a FM transmitter, and you spend time when driving out of town trying to find new clear frequencies to use.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:10 AM
I thought I would share my experience. It was so helpful to be able to search this site and find the many posts of others experiences and pictures.

After researching this I decided to purchase and install the USA-SPEC in my 2005 G35 sedan. It sounds crystal clear and works very well. $149.95 from Crutchfield -vs- $60.00 for an FM transmitter which works horribly!

I called several audio shops (they all wanted $125.00 to instal this device). That is just ridiculous!!! Many are understandably afraid to tear apart their 15-30K car dash. I have installed many car stereos in my vehicles over the years and was apprehensive at first (due to the complexity of the dash compared to my previous toyotas and nissan). Howere the instal is easy if you are patient and take your time. There are several sites which give you some good pictures and info. Here is one of the best
http://www.myg35mods.com/tutorials/ipod/index.html

The device is plug and play. You unplug the 12 pin CD changer/Sat radio cable (this remains unplugged, which is why you cannot have Sat Radio or a factory trunk CD changer with this device). Unplug the 10 pin power cable and replace it with the 10 pin cable from the USA-SPEC, then you plug the 10 pin power cable into the USA-SPEC wiring harness. The instructions come with the device, very easy and you do not need to run a power or ground. You can even control the device and your IPOD via your steering wheel.

A couple of caveats: 1. Cannot run with Factory SAT Radio or trunk CD changer. 2. The DIP switch settings were a little difficult to understand, the instructions were not clear. (I set both of mine in the off position) I can control the IPOD through the steering wheel/radio buttons, control it via the IPOD controls, and also use the Auxillary input to run another device)
3. When I first installed the device I had a constant annoying "hum/buzz" when using my IPHONE 3g (did not occur when I use my IPOD classic), this only happened when the device was charging (problem with the cable). I called the tech support at USA-SPEC and they immediately sent me a replacement cable (which works fine with no problems).

here are the numbers on the cable so you can check to see if your cable is compatible with the IPHONE 3G.

original cable: CB-PA85 90285H1 **constant buzz when charging IPHONE**
replacement cable: CB-PA85 90716H2 **works great**

Here are some pictures, not the best but may give you an idea of what you are dealing with.

I am not an expert but let me know if your have any questions. I do have more pictures but am trying to figure out how to upload more than these three.

Attached Thumbnails Ipod Adaptor for my Coupe?-img_1910.jpg   Ipod Adaptor for my Coupe?-img_1915.jpg   Ipod Adaptor for my Coupe?-dscn0032.jpg  
Old 09-07-2009, 02:53 PM
alright, so u guys have convinced me to go with the the USA SPEC adapters. I see that theres a couple different adapters out there. My coupe is an 07 with bose and has sat, but i dont use it, so im not worried about losing it. Which one do u guys think would be the best for me? And do they work will all generation ipods? i only have a 2 gen ipod nano. lol

Old 09-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm doing this install at some point. But another vote for not buying the FM transmitter. I have it and it's lousy.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:10 AM
FM transmitter = ****, actually ****>fm transmitter.

Not to highjack, but does that amazon one charge the ipod as well?

Old 09-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
FM transmitter sounds like crap.

I have the OEM nissan unit in my '06. I love it because i can control the ipod through my radio and steering controls. The ipod stays in my center console...i never even remove it. Sound quality is awesome!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ipod Adaptor for my Coupe?