The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Carbon Fiber Sunroof Delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I guess some of you guys don't really race your cars in real timed events nor understand removing weight from high up in the car actually has a notable effect on handling (ie lowering the center of gravity). What do you think the main reason is for putting the driver as low as possible in a race car? Removing 30lbs from the top of the car will make a difference. Why do think BMW's M3, Mitsubishi's EVO, or GM's ZR1s went to great lengths to use lightweight roofs to cut 18 to 22lbs from the top of the car?

If there was actually a mass produced cover, I'd buy it. I hardly ever use my moonroof. The glass, or as Nissan calls it the "lid", simply comes out by removing 6 Torx screws. Most of the weight is in the glass. The motor is small and the frame is probably pretty light, judging from the FSM. I'd estimate the lid weighing close to 25lbs. The frame an motor is probably another 10lbs. A CF or even plastic lid that use the Torx screws would be ideal, IMO. It would be an easy install plus you could still open it and vent. It's just that you wouldn't have heavy glass there. Who says you have to stick with the CF pattern either? There is this amazing material that can color surfaces. It's called paint.

Yank the lid, add a lightweight battery, and remove the spare and jack, and you've removed nearly 100lbs from the car. That's significant.

There is no doubt in my mind that LOTS of G owners would flock to these things if someone actually made one the way I described. The only thing you loose is being to look out the glass. It would be terribly easy to make.

Last edited by DaveB; 12-13-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ Ill be honest in saying that this post actually has me wanting to have something made or make it myself. LOL

Old 12-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I guess some of you guys don't really race your cars in real timed events nor understand removing weight from high up in the car actually has a notable effect on handling (ie lowering the center of gravity). What do you think the main reason is for putting the driver as low as possible in a race car? Removing 30lbs from the top of the car will make a difference. Why do think BMW's M3, Mitsubishi's EVO, or GM's ZR1s went to great lengths to use lightweight roofs to cut 18 to 22lbs from the top of the car?

If there was actually a mass produced cover, I'd buy it. I hardly ever use my moonroof. The glass, or as Nissan calls it the "lid", simply comes out by removing 6 Torx screws. Most of the weight is in the glass. The motor is small and the frame is probably pretty light, judging from the FSM. I'd estimate the lid weighing close to 25lbs. The frame an motor is probably another 10lbs. A CF or even plastic lid that use the Torx screws would be ideal, IMO. It would be an easy install plus you could still open it and vent. It's just that you wouldn't have heavy glass there. Who says you have to stick with the CF pattern either? There is this amazing material that can color surfaces. It's called paint.

Yank the lid, add a lightweight battery, and remove the spare and jack, and you've removed nearly 100lbs from the car. That's significant.

There is no doubt in my mind that LOTS of G owners would flock to these things if someone actually made one the way I described. The only thing you loose is being to look out the glass. It would be terribly easy to make.

All you said means nothing considering you drive a 4 door, heavy, slow, family car. If you were serious about racing you wouldnt be trying to do it in a grocery getter.

100 pounds wont mean jack sh*t considering you drive a 3500 lb car that only makes 260hp.

Also you are out of your mind if you really think that tiny 2 ft by 4 ft piece of glass weighs 25lbs. All of the frame work and motor will weigh more than a little piece of glass. By swapping it out for a piece of say CF, you may save a total of 5-10 pounds max.

I would be willing to bet no more than 10 people on the entire site would "flock" to this pointless mod.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 12-13-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
He could do a cf roof overlay to make it look better..

Old 12-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee

Also you are out of your mind if you really think that tiny 2 ft by 4 ft piece of glass weighs 25lbs. All of the frame work and motor will weigh more than a little piece of glass. By swapping it out for a piece of say CF, you may save a total of 5-10 pounds max.
I have taken the sunroof out before. it def weighs quite a bit. Maybe not 25lbs but prob 10-15lbs. Just for reference.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:48 PM
I agree, but if you are counting pennies there is a big difference between a 10 lb piece of glass being replaced with a 5 lb piece of cf or a 25 lb piece of glass being replaced with a 5 lb piece of cf.

Just people are talking about spending hundreds to save 5lbs on a 3500 lb car designed to carry kids around after soccer practice.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:51 PM
^^ I agree...

Old 12-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
id be willing to bet that a a braced c/f insert wont be as light as you think its going to be. often times, c/f panels weigh more or are significantly equal to oem panels

Old 12-13-2010, 06:01 PM
All you said means nothing considering you drive a 4 door, heavy, slow, family car. If you were serious about racing you wouldnt be trying to do it in a grocery getter.

100 pounds wont mean jack sh*t considering you drive a 3500 lb car that only makes 260hp.

I would be willing to bet no more than 10 people on the entire site would "flock" to this pointless mod.
Says the guy who probably hasn't touched foot on a drag strip, road course, or auto-x course in his car.

You greatly underestimate the weight of safety glass. Also, the motor is tiny. Look at the FSM. There is a thing called gear reduction that allows small motors to move big weight at low speeds.

Why would someone want to do this to their "slow" and "overweight" family hauler G sedan? Because it will improve handling dynamics. Will it have a huge impact? No, but every little bit helps, especially when you're removing that weight from the VERY top of the car.

My car doesn't weigh 3500lbs nor does it only make 260hp. It's a well known fact that the 03/04 sedans really makes about 275hp. I've got a spacer and HR y-pipe which are good for 15whp/15wtq together. On paper, the power number is closer to 290hp. In auto-x form, my loaded 03 sedan weighs around 3,320lbs with 3/4 tank of fuel, no driver. The 03 5AT base sedan is factory listed at 3,380lbs with full fluids.

Auto-x weight reduction to my car is simple:

1) no spare, jack, tools (-38lbs)
2) 05/06 sedan midpipe (-17lbs)
3) Lightweight 18s and tires (-12lbs)
4) No trunk mats (-10lbs)
5) No floor mats (-8lbs)

Net loss 85lbs. A lighter battery would shed another 25lbs and a plastic/CF lid would shed at least 15lbs. That's at least 125lbs removed from the car with no luxury compromises except not being able to see out the moonroof on a stary night. The weight reduction equates to the following:

1) Improved power to weight. For my car 125lbs removed would be a ~4% improvement in power to weight. That's basically like adding 15whp/15wtq.

2) Improved handling

3) Improved braking

4) A generally more responsive car.

I'm not talking about gutting the car, but there are ways to get weight out of it with little compromise. I guess when you see the fruits of your labor revealed when you race your car, you start looking for other ways to improve the car. At least for me that holds true.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by HomieG35
This!!

This is what I think everyone is trying to say. We understand the dynamics. We really do. If you want a lower center of gravity... lower your car. If you want weight reduction, quit poosy-footin' around and strip it of rear seats, carpet, sound proofing and dash.

I would not flock to this mod and I have done everything from supercharging to "flush". This is the first time in nearly 7 years I have heard anyone fight this much over something like this. If it was really something people would "flock" to we would already have it.

You didn't buy an M3 or a ZR1. You bought a cheap luxury car with a sports car like shape to it.
Seeing that you're into the "flush" movement, your input means little to me because true performance is not part of that group. Slamming it and cramming the widest/biggest wheels into the wells is not a recipe to improve a car's true performance.

Is the G a entry level sports sedan/coupe? Yep. Some of you seem to forget that nearly all the underpinnings of this car are shared with the Z, a true sports car. This is not some standard family hauler with sporting intentions. It's underpinnings are the real deal. Sure, Nissan dumbed everything down a bit by adding more weight and lengthening the wheelbase, but it's terribly easy to improve what's there with little compromise and give the car a far sharper edge.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Says the guy who probably hasn't touched foot on a drag strip, road course, or auto-x course in his car.

You greatly underestimate the weight of safety glass. Also, the motor is tiny. Look at the FSM. There is a thing called gear reduction that allows small motors to move big weight at low speeds.

Why would someone want to do this to their "slow" and "overweight" family hauler G sedan? Because it will improve handling dynamics. Will it have a huge impact? No, but every little bit helps, especially when you're removing that weight from the VERY top of the car.

My car doesn't weigh 3500lbs nor does it only make 260hp. It's a well known fact that the 03/04 sedans really makes about 275hp. I've got a spacer and HR y-pipe which are good for 15whp/15wtq together. On paper, the power number is closer to 290hp. In auto-x form, my loaded 03 sedan weighs around 3,320lbs with 3/4 tank of fuel, no driver. The 03 5AT base sedan is factory listed at 3,380lbs with full fluids.

Auto-x weight reduction to my car is simple:

1) no spare, jack, tools (-38lbs)
2) 05/06 sedan midpipe (-17lbs)
3) Lightweight 18s and tires (-12lbs)
4) No trunk mats (-10lbs)
5) No floor mats (-8lbs)

Net loss 85lbs. A lighter battery would shed another 25lbs and a plastic/CF lid would shed at least 15lbs. That's at least 125lbs removed from the car with no luxury compromises except not being able to see out the moonroof on a stary night. The weight reduction equates to the following:

1) Improved power to weight. For my car 125lbs removed would be a ~4% improvement in power to weight. That's basically like adding 15whp/15wtq.

2) Improved handling

3) Improved braking

4) A generally more responsive car.

I'm not talking about gutting the car, but there are ways to get weight out of it with little compromise. I guess when you see the fruits of your labor revealed when you race your car, you start looking for other ways to improve the car. At least for me that holds true.
Your ricer math is appaling from a so called enthusiast. You maybe more at home on the 350Z forum.

PS A new Camry has more power and runs a faster 1/4 mile than your "race car".

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 12-13-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by g35sweetness; 12-13-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by _RR_
If you bought your car strictly for speed, why did you buy a G?
You basically took what i said in the wrong context meaning I said i did not care about the luxury side of the car (which to me this car is not a luxury car when originally it is a nissan 350gt ) and im an enthusiasts who didnt care for a sunroof that added weight as well as a bose stereo... just saying you guys do hate when someone wants the best of the car.

Then you bought the wrong car.

I am also very curious how your clear corners and gialla grill have helped you with you obvious need for speed. Also some insight on how your volks, which actually weight MORE than OEM 19s, have helped with your performance.
If you would realize i drive an auto which means my car came with the heavy 17s so dont tell me my volks was not an upgrade I also needed a wider tire to hold traction as well so dont go criticizing someone elses build when you obviously dont know what your talking about. Im not expecting the fastest car in the world but I do know I want the advantage of not haveing useless stuff to me not on my car. On top of that your little need for speed comment is childish when the main purpose of this forum is to satisfy many G owners who have that need

Last edited by dcryan90; 12-13-2010 at 09:23 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Sunroof Delete