The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Carbon Fiber Sunroof Delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Carbon Fiber Sunroof Delete

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knew of someone whos made a sunroof delete? I know that on many cars just taking out the glass and all the motor assembly can save nearly 50lb and will lower the center of gravity of the car substantially. I never use my sunroof, ever. and its starting to make some weird squeeking noises when I'm on the freeway. It's driving me nuts, I think a carbon sunroof delete would be reasonably cost effective and very effective for removing weight and fixing broken sunroofs. Anyone with me on this one? It can't be all that hard to make a carbon fiber square...

Last edited by dwrecckk; 12-12-2010 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Should be fine as long as you can seal it. You would also need some kind of brackets to hook in so it doesnt fly off or make a steel outer ring to drill it down in too. Someone made one i think on here.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:07 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That would be cool to see. What do the G drift cars do to the sunroof?

Old 12-12-2010, 04:59 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
^ Cut them out and weld a plate in.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I can't see that sealing too well with engineering something up. I have seen plenty of guys weld up sunroofs with sheet metal, but it took a little work to get it nice and add some bracing underneath. Might take more than just popping in a CF square and calling it a day

Plus...kiss any resale value goodbye as most dealers and general public want sunroofs on cars.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just get a g without the sunroof in the first place

The following users liked this post:
Ionic (06-05-2014)
Old 12-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
I never use my cruise control but im not gonna rip it out of my car.. haha just keep it your wasting time and money trying to seal it up..

Old 12-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Is it so strange to be a performance minded car enthusiast? It seems whenever anyone says anything about doing something to their G that tends to air it towards the performance end. IE setting it up for drifting, stripping it for track, or generally improving the sporting credentials of the G, the lemmings on here just end up rehashing the same response. "Oh it's not worth it, buy another car". This is not a project that I am going to undertake personally, I offered the idea as mere theoretical suggestion for other like-minded individuals to consider. 50lb of weight is not insignificant. I'm running a 15lb lightweight battery for that same purpose. 21lb shaved from the nose is substantial. The performance potential of the G and Z is something that I can only see growing as time goes by and people continue to develop parts that will further the platform. For me, I'm dead set on reducing the weight of the car by 200lb. I know every half hearted car enthusiast on this forum will just tell me to get a Z and call it a day but that is not something I have any interest in trading up for. If i was going to trade cars, I wouldn't have gone with the G in the first place and started with a proper lightweight to build a real sports car out of. Many different cars have already had carbon fiber delete kits made for them. They were extremely popular on MR2 Turbos, and my friend has one installed in his M3 that deleted all the motor and assembly pieces. It seals and works perfectly. I'm looking for something similar to be made for the G. The exist in MANY import circles for many different cars. It was fairly surprising to me that such a thing does not exist for the G. I guess I shouldn't be, G owners would much rather buy shinier and shinier intakes than anything that actually makes a difference.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
I think its a good idea if you don't want a sunroof... Its just going to be expensive since it will most likely have to be one-off. But post pics if end up doing it!!!

Old 12-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankieg35
I never use my cruise control but im not gonna rip it out of my car.. haha just keep it your wasting time and money trying to seal it up..
I pulled out my cruise control and my VDC

Originally Posted by walshtj
I think its a good idea if you don't want a sunroof... Its just going to be expensive since it will most likely have to be one-off. But post pics if end up doing it!!!
Well... It won't be a one off... I'm working on the same thing right now. I have a CF shop going to make me one. I'm building a drift car and there are other parts I have in the works. If you (OP) wanted to go in on the costs of the cap we should be able to get a good price. I'm also working on CF inner door panels (nothing to do with weight) since I will have them custom to the Cage.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Mastergrade had one but there were some known issues the company.

I didnt know the g's came without sunroofs?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
If u are building a drift car than hell yeah take that $hit out.. if its a daily driver than its not worth the money..

Old 12-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
^^ whs ^^

Old 12-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
The mastergrade with sunroof is a full cap with the hole in it. What I meant by a sunroof delete is a cap that will fit exactly how the glass piece is there. Fully flush. Not covering the whole sunroof. But the sunroof full would be an alternative. $600 is a little much. I've never heard anything good about mastergrade personally.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Project
Mastergrade had one but there were some known issues the company.

I didnt know the g's came without sunroofs?
yep sure do....
No sun roof here
id say it may make a difference becuase i noticed a little more push in mine then those with all the heavy options i bought mine strictly for speed not luxury so i didnt get options to weigh it down

and white with a sunroof is awful to me so yea there are a select few out there without sunroofs but you can find them

Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Sunroof Delete-sdc11794.jpg  

Last edited by dcryan90; 12-13-2010 at 12:36 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Sunroof Delete