The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

What did you do to the G today?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Garnet Ember G35X Sport EBC rotors LEDs GTR button Tail-as-Turn TBW undertray Alarm shock sensor
Well I don't track the car and seldom try "excessive displays of speed/launches" so the fix might hold for awhile. If I was auto-crossing the car I would have went with the Whiteline fix.
Motorvate still hasn't posted an update to tell people if it held and it's been 6 months.....
If it doesn't hold, I can still do the Whiteline bushing fix although I'll probably "contract that job out". I've got the tools, I just don't have the will to disconnect everything and drop the diff. while wiggling under the G35 while it's on jack stands. If I had a lift... :-(

Old 06-20-2018, 08:54 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
This seems to work the same way in principle to Z1's subframe collar spacers, except in this case the spacers are inserted as a liquid and are epoxy rather than aluminum. Epoxy is very strong under compression (not so much tension) which is the only thing it is being asked to do in this use case. It isn't going to fall out as it's bonded to the cracks and crap inside of the rubber and is larger than the hole you put it into, which shouldn't grow any since the epoxy "spacer" has taken the dynamic stress off the rubber.

Can you please change your driving habits and start drag launching the car everyday? I wanna see if your car holds up under abuse

This gave me an idea: I know I'm never going to install subframe collars on my G since it's my daily and given the state of everything else they're probably blown. It might be fun to try filling my subframe bushings with epoxy to see what happens, nothing really to go wrong so why not?

Last edited by cswlightning; 06-20-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by cswlightning
This seems to work the same way in principle to Z1's subframe collar spacers, except in this case the spacers are inserted as a liquid and are epoxy rather than aluminum. Epoxy is very strong under compression (not so much tension) which is the only thing it is being asked to do in this use case. It isn't going to fall out as it's bonded to the cracks and crap inside of the rubber and is larger than the hole you put it into, which shouldn't grow any since the epoxy "spacer" has taken the dynamic stress off the rubber.

Can you please change your driving habits and start drag launching the car everyday? I wanna see if your car holds up under abuse

This gave me an idea: I know I'm never going to install subframe collars on my G since it's my daily and given the state of everything else they're probably blown. It might be fun to try filling my subframe bushings with epoxy to see what happens, nothing really to go wrong so why not?
Interesting idea. Why not just fill them with a solid rubber bushing at that point? There is nothing to hold in the epoxy though, it will likely wiggle out.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:25 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
The Z1 spacers seem to stay in place, I have no doubt that using the adhesive properties of epoxy coupled with some creatively placed materials a similar effect could be devised. I'm thinking now of cutting out a couple thin sections of sheet metal, drill a couple holes in them lining up with the slots in the stock rubber bushings, and putting long screws through the plate so they would be going up through the cavity in the bushings.

I'd insert this plate from underneath the bushing, and fill the cavities with epoxy so the epoxy dries in place around the screws. This would connect the two epoxy "spacer arms" with eachother and provide structure to the assembly. If I really wanted to be sure nothing moved I'd put another one of these assemblies into the top of the bushing after pouring the epoxy.

According to quick google search compressive strength of epoxy starts at about 70 MPa or 10,000 lbs/in^2 which while about 1/4 the strength of aluminum is more than twice that of concrete, so given the weight of the G and the max force these are going to see (accelerating WOT, going over bumps) there's a pretty good margin of safety there for that part. In my (non-expert) opinion it should last permanently.

A solid rubber bushing would be great, but it's not as easy and quick to do as epoxy and you can't really support it once it's been cast. What I'm considering is essentially using the stock bushing as an in-place mold for a Z1 style subframe spacer.... except using epoxy. You could probably use polyurethane for this as well but I don't have any of that lying around and I doubt it would play nicely with the screws and sheet metal idea due to the flexing.

I have never looked at a subframe spacer and have no idea how forces are distributed, so I'd have to take a look at how the forces are distributed before I'd try anything like this. But if it's similar to the diff bushing I can see this working.

Last edited by cswlightning; 06-20-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today I redid the seats in my 04 coupe. If any of you guys are looking for any car vinyls or headliner and the such I found this website called yourautotrim.com. They also have a 15% off code at check out and free shipping lol

Old 06-21-2018, 12:49 PM
Thumbs up g35

I redid my seats and wrapped my dash in vinyl leather. Also if any of you guys are looking, I found this website called yourautotrim.com and they sell all types of vinyls and leather. They have headliner too and a bunch of other stuff, yall should look at it, its helped me a lot.

Old 06-21-2018, 03:01 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
One owner 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Originally Posted by John Tavarez
I redid my seats and wrapped my dash in vinyl leather. Also if any of you guys are looking, I found this website called yourautotrim.com and they sell all types of vinyls and leather. They have headliner too and a bunch of other stuff, yall should look at it, its helped me a lot.
Got any pics, or are you really here to pimp out your site in multiple threads?

The following users liked this post:
John Tavarez (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 03:16 PM
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
So the z1 inserts arent any good ? I have the whiteline bushings just sitting there... I read the z1 inserts are easier to install

Old 06-21-2018, 03:27 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MikeG35Coupe
Got any pics, or are you really here to pimp out your site in multiple threads?
I actually redid my seats, new to the forum so i'll have to figure out how to post pictures. Also, I used their headliner for my F150

Old 06-21-2018, 03:48 PM
I actually redid my seats, new to the forum so i'll have to figure out how to post pictures. Also, I used their headliner for my F150
Apologies then, but it didn't appear to be that way initially.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
If it matters I didn't interpret it as John pushing "his" website. I haven't seen any other posts he might have mentioned the site in so no feedback there. Also the forum rules don't prevent people from posting/discussing other websites unless they are a competing G35 site. See here: https://g35driver.com/forums/faq.php?do=search&q=gain

All of us need to be aware that spamming can be a huge problem so I wouldn't recommend pasting a recommendation to a particular website in multiple posts across multiple forums. I think I skirt that rule a bit, I'm always pointing people to Amazon for OEM sensors because they're relatively cheap but it doesn't seem to be an issue with the powers that be. l guess to be safe I'll just PM members that info.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:49 AM
Yeah sorry if that came out wrong lol, but I would recommend them for vinyl and headliner

Old 06-22-2018, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
If it matters I didn't interpret it as John pushing "his" website. I haven't seen any other posts he might have mentioned the site in so no feedback there. Also the forum rules don't prevent people from posting/discussing other websites unless they are a competing G35 site. See here: https://g35driver.com/forums/faq.php?do=search&q=gain

All of us need to be aware that spamming can be a huge problem so I wouldn't recommend pasting a recommendation to a particular website in multiple posts across multiple forums. I think I skirt that rule a bit, I'm always pointing people to Amazon for OEM sensors because they're relatively cheap but it doesn't seem to be an issue with the powers that be. l guess to be safe I'll just PM members that info.
All five of his first posts mentioned the site, that's what set off my alarm.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:54 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
^I sent you a PM this morning...

Old 06-22-2018, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Mine is cracked and torn, I'll consider that! Did you have to remove the dash?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the G today?