G35 Glass Headlight ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
My 93' accord had glass lenes. Glass is better than the cheap plastic b.s

Old 08-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glass is the way to go! If its not available hopefully someone puts it on the market and gets rid of the cheqp plastic.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:12 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Are you guys serious? Plastic doesn't shatter like glass. It's far more durable. Glass is old technology for a reason.

Not to mention glass distorts projector beam patterns. Curved plastic does not. This is why people go out of their way to replace OEM glass units with replacement housings that have plastic lenses. You can rarely even get a colorful cutoff because of how badly distorted glass makes the output.

Of course that's a minor issue since most people here don't retrofit anyway, but in the end glass is old news. If the only reason its "better" is because it doesn't oxidize, then your idea of what's better is flawed.

That's one benefit over the many benefits to using plastic. And in time glass will chip jand pit ust like a windshield, have fun trying to get cerium oxide and an industrial glass polisher to fix that. I can promise you it won't be a $25 fix like the plastic lens restore kits at your parts store.

The following users liked this post:
Adon (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Pretty sure the DOT puts regulations on all headlights stating that the plastic needs to be able to withstand impacts up to 3-5MPH from fairly heavy objects. So that kind of puts a damper on the "flimsier than glass" argument.

And for what it's worth, take a look at most glass lenses on vehicles. Notice anything? They're usually relatively small. That's because glass breaks. So by reducing the amount of exposed surface area, you reduce the risk of shattering the headlight in an impact situation.

Glass is old, out-dated technology. UV-resistant plastics are safer, and actually project light better (less warps and imperfections in a plastic covering versus a glass covering).

My personal experience: My 2003 Maxima had glass fog light housings. Both of which were cracked. I spent $90 to replace them with brand new ones directly from Nissan. A week and a half later, one was cracked again. Needless to say, I was NOT happy...that was $45 that I might as well have taken and thrown out the window.

The following users liked this post:
Adon (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adamj27
Are you guys serious? Plastic doesn't shatter like glass. It's far more durable. Glass is old technology for a reason...but in the end glass is old news. If the only reason its "better" is because it doesn't oxidize, then your idea of what's better is flawed.

That's one benefit over the many benefits to using plastic. And in time glass will chip jand pit ust like a windshield, have fun trying to get cerium oxide and an industrial glass polisher to fix that. I can promise you it won't be a $25 fix like the plastic lens restore kits at your parts store.
Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
...So that kind of puts a damper on the "flimsier than glass" argument.

And for what it's worth, take a look at most glass lenses on vehicles. Notice anything? They're usually relatively small. That's because glass breaks. So by reducing the amount of exposed surface area, you reduce the risk of shattering the headlight in an impact situation.

Glass is old, out-dated technology. UV-resistant plastics are safer, and actually project light better (less warps and imperfections in a plastic covering versus a glass covering).
So why don't we have plastic windshields? All your arguments - safer, don't distort light, cheaper to fix, just as strong - show that we should all have plastic windshields, too. Making a fancy curved piece of glass is not cost effective when you can make it out of plastic for a fraction of the cost.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:41 AM
Glass doesn't haze, plastic does. It's also better at absorbing noise than plastic is.

Your argument is invalid.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:54 AM
Okay, so, since everyone seems to always whine and moan about how plastic headlights haze, I'll do a nice little write-up tomorrow on a nearly-permanent fix that can be done.

It costs about $25, and will make your headlights look like brand new. I did it to my G three months ago, and not a single indication of hazing has shown up since.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Okay, so, since everyone seems to always whine and moan about how plastic headlights haze, I'll do a nice little write-up tomorrow on a nearly-permanent fix that can be done.

It costs about $25, and will make your headlights look like brand new. I did it to my G three months ago, and not a single indication of hazing has shown up since.

Don't bother -__-. There are a **** TON of write ups. There honestly doesn't really even need to be a write up. They'll still haze up after a couple months or so though. Need that UV stick on film that you can use to cover up the headlights to prevent them from hazing. It's late and I'm tired so I can't think of what it's called. Not even sure where to get it either.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Likes2fightfire, will probably never make another thread after what you guys did to him! All you needed to post was that no one makes a glass headlight or even a replacement for our headlights. There needs to be a better headlight cover than what comes on our cars today....just look around!
Gary

Old 08-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by AmateuRN
^ It'll last a month, then be forgotten and noobs will wanna know where they can get crystal headlights to stop the hazing.
They make crystal headlights for the G?! I want.

Originally Posted by prinny
Don't bother -__-. There are a **** TON of write ups. There honestly doesn't really even need to be a write up. They'll still haze up after a couple months or so though. Need that UV stick on film that you can use to cover up the headlights to prevent them from hazing. It's late and I'm tired so I can't think of what it's called. Not even sure where to get it either.
I know there are like...45908345 different write-ups. What I used has a UV protectant in it, though. You'd be surprised how well it works.

My headlights used to fog up within a month to a month and a half of me cleaning them. I haven't had any issues since I cleaned them this time around, though.

Originally Posted by gary c
Likes2fightfire, will probably never make another thread after what you guys did to him! All you needed to post was that no one makes a glass headlight or even a replacement for our headlights. There needs to be a better headlight cover than what comes on our cars today....just look around!
Gary
Hopefully he understands that this is normal forum attitude and has a thick enough skin to take criticism. Honestly, outside of an administrator or mod, would anyone else have gotten different treatement?

Old 08-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Pretty sure the DOT puts regulations on all headlights stating that the plastic needs to be able to withstand impacts up to 3-5MPH from fairly heavy objects. So that kind of puts a damper on the "flimsier than glass" argument.

My personal experience: My 2003 Maxima had glass fog light housings. Both of which were cracked. I spent $90 to replace them with brand new ones directly from Nissan. A week and a half later, one was cracked again. Needless to say, I was NOT happy...that was $45 that I might as well have taken and thrown out the window.
uhhhh... no...
your fog lights cracked before your headlights because it's positioned on the ground where all kinds of rocks are kicked from the car in front of you..

and what's with some guy saying HID's create UV rays that haze headlights? lol..
i know G35's are getting old.. but are 17 year olds picking these cars up already? this car and the e46 bmw.. teehee

Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by joedaddy1
uhhhh... no...
your fog lights cracked before your headlights because it's positioned on the ground where all kinds of rocks are kicked from the car in front of you..
And?

It still proves my point that glass breaks. The 2000-2001 Maxima had plastic fog housings, and hardly had any issues with them breaking.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
And?

It still proves my point that glass breaks. The 2000-2001 Maxima had plastic fog housings, and hardly had any issues with them breaking.
nm... you are right...

have a nice day

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Glass Headlight ?