The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Car going to dealership to day need answers fast

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, Took the car to the dealer this morning. Told them exactly what I wanted. BG frigi-clean AC system cleaner. Even told the service guy "you know when you drill a little hole in the evaporator and pump t through the system, etc." He says "Oh yeah we know exactly what you mean." So I'm feeling good about it, I find out that this will NOT be covered under my warranty... So I ask how much it will be. A minute later he says "well it's going to be about 5 hours of labor so it will run you right around $625. HA! I'm not joking either. I asked if he was kidding.. Then I had him pull up the Infiniti USA website where it shows the product for $44.95. You will notice that there is a tab that you can click that gives step by step instructions for the DEALER to follow for application... http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/BG-F...rigi-clean.htm
It's MAX 30 minutes worth of work for an infiniti tech. Maybe an hour total if you include "sitting" time that it recommends they do before they give the vehicle back to the customer. I looked at him, smiled and said "thanks", and walked out. I couldn't believe how bad they were trying to rob me! I will never go back to this dealer again, even for warranty work. Anyway, sorry for the rant... So I head to Auto Zone, they sell an AC duct cleaner in a spray can. $8. Of course I was skeptical because of the low price. Mind you, this is a cleaner, not just deodorizer. So I picked it up. I already had my new charcoal cain air filter. Pull around back of Auto Zone and got to work. This couldn't be easier. Replaced the cabin air filter. Then sprayed the cleaner into the fresh air intake vents which are located right below your windshield. I opened my hood but you dont even have to. There are 4 vents, I sprayed equal amounts in each vent, then when it was almost empty I sprayed the remaining in the inside vents. All of this is while the AC is on full blast on the fresh outside air setting, not re-circ. I let the air run for about 10 minutes. The "cleaner smell" went away. My car has never smelled better. I'll post again next week in this same thread to give an update, because trust me I am still skeptical. I did ride around for an hour around town running the AC etc... windows closed. It's hot as hell here right now. My car is sitting in the parking lot windows closed. I did turn the AC off and let the fan blow for a couple minutes before parking which I will continue to do now. Again, sorry for the long post, but if this works it will be well worth it. I know there are alot of people on here with this smell issue. If this solves it this cheap, I'm sure they'll appreciate it. Total= $38 for the filter and the cleaner. Here is a picture of the stuff
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/62754337.jpg/

Last edited by JAX20"G; 08-11-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: adding link
Old 08-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
$625!!!! HAHAHA i thought $120 was high for me. Sorry they tried to bend you over but it sounds like you took care of the problem. I tried that exact same method but i couldnt find a/c cleaner so i used lysol and it worked for about a day. It sounds like you fixed it though thanks for the update!!! If i ever run into this problem again i'll try your way first

Old 08-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I'll let you know in a week or so how it's working out.

The following users liked this post:
jgitt (08-11-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they do some decent work at the dealership. When i first moved there i was hesitant about taking my car there, but i had a neighbor with a g35 and he said that he has had not problems there. He gave me a guys name, Kevin, i think it was. He owns infinitis and does most of that dealerships infiniti work. I guess he is was on the few nissan certified GT-R mechanics in the country.?

They are a bit expensive though, something like 1200 for a new alternator and to fix leaking valve cover gaskets (which like to start leaking not matter how many times i have it fixed) and they wanted to charge me like 1800 for a clutch job.... so for extensive work, your best bet would probably be a performance shop in St. Louis. NOT PLAZA INFINITI

edit: were you one of the DG's that lived off of old 63? There was a few times i'd be driving down that road and one would be turning out of campus lodge and the other out of copper beach. One with a wing and one wingless.

Last edited by Emerica331; 08-11-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Good times in Mizzou for me and had a blast there for 5 years and walked away with 2 degrees. I had my crossfire at that time and Acura and was working at Sprint Nextel while attending the business school. I prefer to do all my own work or source out local shops for large jobs and just provide them all parts and fluids. I used ozium and lysol in the vents and used a FRAM CARBON FILTER. You can go a step further and use a AC DUCT cleaner.

https://g35driver.com/forums/dfw-g35...ml#post5960525

The following users liked this post:
jgitt (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Originally Posted by Emerica331

edit: were you one of the DG's that lived off of old 63? There was a few times i'd be driving down that road and one would be turning out of campus lodge and the other out of copper beach. One with a wing and one wingless.
Yup im still at campus lodge, im the wingless. theres another wingless parking at campus lodge too now but i have the 19" Rays.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:24 AM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by JAX20"G
Ok, Took the car to the dealer this morning. Told them exactly what I wanted. BG frigi-clean AC system cleaner. Even told the service guy "you know when you drill a little hole in the evaporator and pump t through the system, etc." He says "Oh yeah we know exactly what you mean." So I'm feeling good about it, I find out that this will NOT be covered under my warranty... So I ask how much it will be. A minute later he says "well it's going to be about 5 hours of labor so it will run you right around $625. HA! I'm not joking either. I asked if he was kidding.. Then I had him pull up the Infiniti USA website where it shows the product for $44.95. You will notice that there is a tab that you can click that gives step by step instructions for the DEALER to follow for application... http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/BG-F...rigi-clean.htm
It's MAX 30 minutes worth of work for an infiniti tech. Maybe an hour total if you include "sitting" time that it recommends they do before they give the vehicle back to the customer. I looked at him, smiled and said "thanks", and walked out. I couldn't believe how bad they were trying to rob me! I will never go back to this dealer again, even for warranty work. Anyway, sorry for the rant... So I head to Auto Zone, they sell an AC duct cleaner in a spray can. $8. Of course I was skeptical because of the low price. Mind you, this is a cleaner, not just deodorizer. So I picked it up. I already had my new charcoal cain air filter. Pull around back of Auto Zone and got to work. This couldn't be easier. Replaced the cabin air filter. Then sprayed the cleaner into the fresh air intake vents which are located right below your windshield. I opened my hood but you dont even have to. There are 4 vents, I sprayed equal amounts in each vent, then when it was almost empty I sprayed the remaining in the inside vents. All of this is while the AC is on full blast on the fresh outside air setting, not re-circ. I let the air run for about 10 minutes. The "cleaner smell" went away. My car has never smelled better. I'll post again next week in this same thread to give an update, because trust me I am still skeptical. I did ride around for an hour around town running the AC etc... windows closed. It's hot as hell here right now. My car is sitting in the parking lot windows closed. I did turn the AC off and let the fan blow for a couple minutes before parking which I will continue to do now. Again, sorry for the long post, but if this works it will be well worth it. I know there are alot of people on here with this smell issue. If this solves it this cheap, I'm sure they'll appreciate it. Total= $38 for the filter and the cleaner. Here is a picture of the stuff
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/62754337.jpg/
Really? They cleaned my vents for free. I don't even have a warranty with Infiniti.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jgitt
Yup im still at campus lodge, im the wingless. theres another wingless parking at campus lodge too now but i have the 19" Rays.
for sure. either way, sick car. i was the one with the fat dent on the rear.... mail man you may have seen me, usually give a thumbs up to other g's lol

Old 08-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Emerica331
for sure. either way, sick car. i was the one with the fat dent on the rear.... mail man you may have seen me, usually give a thumbs up to other g's lol
Haha yeah i remember the thumbs up. You still in columbia area?