The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

G35 Hopeful

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Hopeful

Hey everyone! I'm new on the site and I am in the market for a new car. The G35 is one of the top on my list and I was just looking for some information on this vehicle. If anyone could provide me with some honest details on the reliability and main problems to look for when searching for a G35 that would be awesome! Thanks for your help!

Tony C.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
The only thing that bothers me is the grill....although way more exaggerated on the Lexus is has that basic > < shape.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
^ Think that was supposed to be in the Q50 pics thread lol. Anyways the main problem to look for is the oil consumption issue. It mainly effects rev up motors with 6mt from 2005. Just google "Infiniti G35 oil consumption." Other common issues are window and lock motors going out and other small electrical annoyances. Bose stereo units going bad is another common one.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy an 07' with no service records and you should be fine. 03-06 are iffy

Old 01-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by blues3531
^ Think that was supposed to be in the Q50 pics thread lol. Anyways the main problem to look for is the oil consumption issue. It mainly effects rev up motors with 6mt from 2005. Just google "Infiniti G35 oil consumption." Other common issues are window and lock motors going out and other small electrical annoyances. Bose stereo units going bad is another common one.
You are correct...how in the h*ll did it end up here!!!

The following users liked this post:
canehdian_guy (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 12:10 AM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
the newer the better. i have an 08 sedan and no problems so far. 53k miles. proven to be very reliable so far after a lot of after markets on the car.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:40 AM
Well my price range is pretty low considering I am going to graduate college this semester so I'm only looking at about the 10 to 12k price range. This puts me pretty much in the 03-06 area which is pretty disappointing considering these years are iffy. So basically the consensus would be that I should not trust an 03-06 with over 80-100k miles on it?

Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 04 with 160kms (100k miles). Only issues so far are the factory head unit, no biggie, and headlight lenses seem to be pitted on the inside. Also some rust starting on inner rear wells, not too bad yet.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM
I have an 03 with 125k miles, never had a problem. I have only owned it for a year

Old 01-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Well that makes me feel a little more comfortable, thanks guys! I am just looking for a nice reliable slick looking manual that I could mod a little bit, and the G35 really stood out to me so I was hoping it would fit the reliability criteria that I was looking for. Hopefully I could find one in good condition for the right price!

Old 01-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iv had my 06 6mt coupe for about 3 years. here's the problems i've had:

-hood hinges seized, had to be replaced and fenders touched up (hood was scraping fenders when you open it) - $800.00 repair
-oil consumption problem - short block engine replaced on warranty
-local infiniti dealership wouldn't take me seriously as a client (i was 19), and told me oil consumption problem didn't exist and that it's "normal" to burn oil.
-dome light turns on by itself whenever i press brake (might not be due to car, iv had aftermarket electrical work done)
-although i didnt purchase the car for gas milage, i only get 19mpg combo of highway/city commuting
-my drivers seat squeeks everytime I press the clutch
-stupid seatbelt wont stay in the holder on the seat, everytime you take your seatbelt off it hits the door scratching the plastic
-if you want an aftermarket headunit in the car, it's an expensive dash kit (~$350)
-if you mod your car it's a hot police target because they're fairly flashy to begin with. there was a point when i got pulled over once a week for a "random inspection".

overall I like the car though. i don't know what else I would have bought in the 20-25k price range (when i bought it).

there's a lot of other problems I've heard of that I havn't ran into yet though.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Snip3r
iv had my 06 6mt coupe for about 3 years. here's the problems i've had:

-hood hinges seized, had to be replaced and fenders touched up (hood was scraping fenders when you open it) - $800.00 repair
-oil consumption problem - short block engine replaced on warranty
-local infiniti dealership wouldn't take me seriously as a client (i was 19), and told me oil consumption problem didn't exist and that it's "normal" to burn oil.
-dome light turns on by itself whenever i press brake (might not be due to car, iv had aftermarket electrical work done)
-although i didnt purchase the car for gas milage, i only get 19mpg combo of highway/city commuting
-my drivers seat squeeks everytime I press the clutch
-stupid seatbelt wont stay in the holder on the seat, everytime you take your seatbelt off it hits the door scratching the plastic
-if you want an aftermarket headunit in the car, it's an expensive dash kit (~$350)
-if you mod your car it's a hot police target because they're fairly flashy to begin with. there was a point when i got pulled over once a week for a "random inspection".

overall I like the car though. i don't know what else I would have bought in the 20-25k price range (when i bought it).

there's a lot of other problems I've heard of that I havn't ran into yet though.
Hmmm well things like this scare me about this car. I really have something to think about. I dont really want to get stuck with a huge money pit. If anyone has any suggestions on a reliable manual I could find near $12k that has some street cred I am open to your opinions! I have been considering BMW e46's, Audi S4's and Volvo S60's...anyone have any other options?

Old 01-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
There are going to be common problems with any car, from any auto maker. You have to evaluate what you really want out of the car. If you are looking for a sports coupe that is fun to drive, great to look at, and has a lot of options to modify, then get the G35. If you are looking for something thats gong to get you to work and back and never break down, then go get yourself a Civic. The G35 is a great car and all things considered, pretty reliable. The VQ engine is a tried-and-true platform. If it was shitty and problematic, do you think Nissan would put it in so many vehicles?

Oil consumption is mostly a rev-up platform problem as others stated. Its possible to have the oil consumption issue on a pre-revup but not as common. Just do your homework when you're looking at a car. get a carfax and ask queastions. see if the seller/dealer has service records for it and find out if its had any major repairs needed. Just dont buy the first one that comes along. Take your time to find the right one and you wont be dissappointed.

On another note, I just saw your post about getting a BMW/Audi. Take it from someone who spends a lot of time around Audi/BMW's when I say that if you are worried about having to spend the money to fix a Nissan product then you better run from a european car. European cars are great, theyre beautiful, perform above the rest, and are comfortable as all get out. And, as long as you can perform you own major and minor repairs they are a great car to own, but if you need to take them to a shop to get fixed, you better get real good at writing zeros on your checks. especially if you want a higher end euro car like an S4 or an M3. The "S" and "M" badge will quantify the reapair bill by two or three fold. Another thing with Euro cars is that prior maintenance and service records are EVERYTHING. My heart will always be with Audi and BMW but they are not for everybody. You have to be willing to spend money on them if need be.

Last edited by livinglegend; 01-16-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the g's would still be cheaper and easier to maintain compared to european cars. if it's just point a to point b he's right, get a civic, but the g35 is more fun to drive and very reliable.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by livinglegend
There are going to be common problems with any car, from any auto maker. You have to evaluate what you really want out of the car. If you are looking for a sports coupe that is fun to drive, great to look at, and has a lot of options to modify, then get the G35. If you are looking for something thats gong to get you to work and back and never break down, then go get yourself a Civic. The G35 is a great car and all things considered, pretty reliable. The VQ engine is a tried-and-true platform. If it was shitty and problematic, do you think Nissan would put it in so many vehicles?

Oil consumption is mostly a rev-up platform problem as others stated. Its possible to have the oil consumption issue on a pre-revup but not as common. Just do your homework when you're looking at a car. get a carfax and ask queastions. see if the seller/dealer has service records for it and find out if its had any major repairs needed. Just dont buy the first one that comes along. Take your time to find the right one and you wont be dissappointed.

On another note, I just saw your post about getting a BMW/Audi. Take it from someone who spends a lot of time around Audi/BMW's when I say that if you are worried about having to spend the money to fix a Nissan product then you better run from a european car. European cars are great, theyre beautiful, perform above the rest, and are comfortable as all get out. And, as long as you can perform you own major and minor repairs they are a great car to own, but if you need to take them to a shop to get fixed, you better get real good at writing zeros on your checks. especially if you want a higher end euro car like an S4 or an M3. The "S" and "M" badge will quantify the reapair bill by two or three fold. Another thing with Euro cars is that prior maintenance and service records are EVERYTHING. My heart will always be with Audi and BMW but they are not for everybody. You have to be willing to spend money on them if need be.
Truthfully one of the only reasons I turned to the G35 was because I am fully aware of the costs involved in owning a European car. I can do many repairs on my own, but the costs still worry me. Depending on the job I get out of college will probably decide which route to go, but for now I am looking for the most reliable, inexpensive option that is still good looking, quick, and manual. Like you said, the service records are the key to finding the right car. So I guess I will just have to keep searching for the right one....and I sure as hell wouldn't be caught dead in a civic. My parents own 2 of them and I would be murdered by all of my friends collectively if I bought one. Hahah

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Hopeful