G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Major disappointment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 11:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
stock G35 coupe
Major disappointment

So, i embarked on a journey to replace rocker cover gaskets tonight and low and behold the rear cylinder left side engine spark plug hole was filled with oil.... no surprised because the car does have 205k on the clock, but damn i dont wanna buy new rocker covers!! oh well, getting on rock auto now for replacements, but I am selling this car to go buy a 2005 G35 6speed manual monday that has 70k less miles on it and looks to be in stellar condition as to my car... or i may just keep my turd and buy the other one anyway because i want a manual shift and i can get it at a good price! never fails when doing maintenance that you always find more s*** wrong when you tear it apart!!! Ole auto hoe will get pushed off in the corner for a later project after i get the rocker covers in and replaced... gut it out and make it a track only car possibly!

Old 12-08-2018, 11:55 PM
stock G35 coupe
so rockauto had a rocker cover for $60, i ordered it and i hope it gets here soon, i hate to part ways with my G but i aint spending sh*t tons of money on a worn out rag doll. I will repair major issues though, cause i dont want the next owner to be upset with common problems

Old 12-09-2018, 10:59 AM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Honestly you can't really complain about anything going wrong with that car at 205k, especially a common problem like valve covers. Just be happy you didn't fry a coil pack. Drive a luxury brand car, and you're gonna pay premium prices. Gotta pay to play!

Old 12-09-2018, 11:44 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,458 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The spark plug well seals can be replaced separately if you're willing to remove the retainer around the bottom of it in the valve cover. I used a holesaw on a drill press with a jig to hold the VC steady but some folks have simply used a pair of pliars to break the material off. A set of 12 spark plug well seals costs like $25 so it's a very inexpensive fix if you want to go that route.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:07 PM
stock G35 coupe
Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG
Honestly you can't really complain about anything going wrong with that car at 205k, especially a common problem like valve covers. Just be happy you didn't fry a coil pack. Drive a luxury brand car, and you're gonna pay premium prices. Gotta pay to play!
I'm just venting to the G world, I shouldn't complain at tall about the old G because other than routine replacement parts like belts, coil, busted Y-pipe, wheel bearing yada yada.I had plans for this car, but now I am starting to question if this is the G that I want to build or do I want a newer one with a manual trans to build, and I think that the 05 I am eyeballing may be the ticket because it has the better looking interior. Other than my 04 being wrecked before, the drive train has held up to a lot of miles and some slight abuse.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:09 PM
stock G35 coupe
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
The spark plug well seals can be replaced separately if you're willing to remove the retainer around the bottom of it in the valve cover. I used a holesaw on a drill press with a jig to hold the VC steady but some folks have simply used a pair of pliars to break the material off. A set of 12 spark plug well seals costs like $25 so it's a very inexpensive fix if you want to go that route.
Where did you purchase said spark plug well seals for $25? Local parts store or the interwebs?

Old 12-09-2018, 01:11 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I ordered them somewhere on the internet, they were made by Fel Pro.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:12 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
A lot of folks have also had good results just smearing a little Permatex Ultra Grey on the bottom of the seal and reinstalling the valve covers, make sure to clean the surfaces thoroughly and let it cure for 24 hours before starting the engine.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:21 PM
stock G35 coupe
A lot of folks have also had good results just smearing a little Permatex Ultra Grey on the bottom of the seal and reinstalling the valve covers, make sure to clean the surfaces thoroughly and let it cure for 24 hours before starting the engine.
I thought about doing that, but the seals are so old and hard that the one leaking is split completely. The passenger side i did not see any oil in the wells so crossing my fingers I hope i can get that cover off and gasket replaced without damaging the well seals!

Old 12-09-2018, 01:32 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Here's some instructions someone made on the internet, it's basically what I did except it doesn't actually show how to center up the holesaw. I made a jig on the drill press but if I ever do it again what I'll do instead is use a smaller holesaw to first cut a piece of 2x4 wood that fits INSIDE the existing hole in the valve cover and use it as a sort of bushing to center up the 1_7/8" holesaw used to drill out the plastic. Unfortunately I don't have the Fel Pro part number for those gaskets but you should be able to just google it. It's been almost 2 years and they haven't leaked a drop since.

http://yhst-13387653796039.stores.ya...nivqvacor.html

Old 12-09-2018, 01:38 PM
stock G35 coupe
Here's some instructions someone made on the internet, it's basically what I did except it doesn't actually show how to center up the holesaw. I made a jig on the drill press but if I ever do it again what I'll do instead is use a smaller holesaw to first cut a piece of 2x4 wood that fits INSIDE the existing hole in the valve cover and use it as a sort of bushing to center up the 1_7/8" holesaw used to drill out the plastic. Unfortunately I don't have the Fel Pro part number for those gaskets but you should be able to just google it. It's been almost 2 years and they haven't leaked a drop since.

http://yhst-13387653796039.stores.ya...nivqvacor.html
Awesome. I will hold on to the old cover and when I have some spare time I will get some seals and replace them in the cover, then slap it on Ebay to get some cash back hopefully, or have a spare laying around one..