The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

"VDC OFF" light, Red "BRAKE" light, and SLIP turned on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"VDC OFF" light, Red "BRAKE" light, and SLIP turned on

It has happened three times to me now... It will happend when I jump on it from a stop really hard. The VDC kicks in to stop the wheel spin and then all three lights come on. They stay on until I stop and turn the car off and then back on again.

Any ideas?

It's a 2004 G Coupe (5A/T).

Old 03-25-2006, 12:24 PM
I remember reading something about this.. but don't recall details. Do a search, I'm sure you can find something.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:27 PM
same happened to me, its almost about that time to change your brake pads. I called the dealer and thats what the service manager guy told me. I still haven't changed them out yet, just go a little easy on the brakes; but keep in mind that it will still go on from time to time.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by gqraverice
same happened to me, its almost about that time to change your brake pads. I called the dealer and thats what the service manager guy told me. I still haven't changed them out yet, just go a little easy on the brakes; but keep in mind that it will still go on from time to time.

Don't know how that would activate the warning lights because there aren't any sensors that would detect the brake wear... I've got 23,000 miles on her so I guess I'll take her to the dealer and have them change the brakes out under the extended brake warranty they have in effect for the 2003 and 2004 G Coupes. Does anyone know if that warranty is for rotors and pads?

I still think there is another reason the warning lights are coming on... Maybe the brake fluid is low???

Old 03-25-2006, 01:47 PM
That happen to me when I got my car back from installing springs .I took it to the dealer the code showed alinment off .That fix it.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:39 PM
As your pads slowly wear down, the brake pistons have to push farther and farther out to make the pads contact the rotors. Since the pistons are extended further, the fluid level in your brake fluid reservoir drops, and this can trigger the three lights you're talking about. My guess is that when you accelerate rapidly from a stop, the low brake fluid sloshes around enough to trigger the sensor.

I would bet that if you top off your brake fluid to the MAX line the lights will probably go away. If this fixes the problem, you should definitely get the pads checked out (or do it yourself -- it's pretty easy).

Reading through this thread might help, too: https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-suspension/90115-help-replaced-rotors-pads-lines-fluid-now-slip-vdc-brake-light.html

Last edited by Sandman; 03-25-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Treat the disease, not the symptoms...

Originally Posted by Sandman
As your pads slowly wear down, the brake pistons have to push farther and farther out to make the pads contact the rotors. Since the pistons are extended further, the fluid level in your brake fluid reservoir drops, and this can trigger the three lights you're talking about. My guess is that when you accelerate rapidly from a stop, the low brake fluid sloshes around enough to trigger the sensor.

I would bet that if you top off your brake fluid to the MAX line the lights will probably go away. If this fixes the problem, you should definitely get the pads checked out (or do it yourself -- it's pretty easy).
Hello:

I think you're right on in terms of your diagnosis, but I have to disagree with your fix. You should never have to add brake fluid, ever -- if it is low you either have a leak or some other problem with your brakes, and you should fix what needs it. My case in point:

Recently while exercising my G35 Sedan in the twisties I also had the three lights of doom come on, but only when hitting the brakes hard whilst cornering. As described before, shutting down and restarting the engine did not bring the lights back. However, the root cause in my case was pretty simple: my front rotors were worn down heavily at 32,000 miles (the pads weren't too great either) and the lost pad and rotor width meant that my brake fluid level was down far enough to trigger the lights.

So, do not just top off your fluid, it's only masking the problem. Besides, as soon as you replace the pads/rotors the extra fluid will be right over the top of the master cylinder, any way.

As an aside: if you have a 2003 or 2004 G35 Infiniti extended a "brake warranty" to 3/36,000. When I mentioned the heavy wear on the rotors and pads my dealer replaced them without a murmur for free. If needed you can find copies of the letter Infiniti sent out on the forums, or I have it also.

Good luck!

Rick

Old 03-26-2006, 05:00 AM
Originally Posted by Rikker
Hello:

I think you're right on in terms of your diagnosis, but I have to disagree with your fix. You should never have to add brake fluid, ever -- if it is low you either have a leak or some other problem with your brakes, and you should fix what needs it. My case in point:

Recently while exercising my G35 Sedan in the twisties I also had the three lights of doom come on, but only when hitting the brakes hard whilst cornering. As described before, shutting down and restarting the engine did not bring the lights back. However, the root cause in my case was pretty simple: my front rotors were worn down heavily at 32,000 miles (the pads weren't too great either) and the lost pad and rotor width meant that my brake fluid level was down far enough to trigger the lights.

So, do not just top off your fluid, it's only masking the problem. Besides, as soon as you replace the pads/rotors the extra fluid will be right over the top of the master cylinder, any way.

As an aside: if you have a 2003 or 2004 G35 Infiniti extended a "brake warranty" to 3/36,000. When I mentioned the heavy wear on the rotors and pads my dealer replaced them without a murmur for free. If needed you can find copies of the letter Infiniti sent out on the forums, or I have it also.

Good luck!

Rick
Rick, you're absolutely right. I didn't mean to imply that topping off the brake fluid would be a permanent fix. When I said...
Originally Posted by Sandman
I would bet that if you top off your brake fluid to the MAX line the lights will probably go away. If this fixes the problem, you should definitely get the pads checked out (or do it yourself -- it's pretty easy)
...I simply meant that if adding brake fluid solved the immediate problem (the three lights), then the real issue has been exposed, and further action should be taken. I just didn't say it very well .

Last edited by Sandman; 06-02-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:23 AM
gtr proto test driver
go get it fixed at the dealer, you must have been driving your car hard, happended once to me

Old 06-06-2006, 03:53 AM
Are the bembo brakes covered under the extended warranty?

Old 06-06-2006, 04:11 AM
Originally Posted by Dan_K
Are the bembo brakes covered under the extended warranty?
NOPE sorry