G35 Cars Looking for a new or used G35? No dealers, no exceptions.

335 vs G35/37...NO COMPARISON

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey joeygott, you're talking brake horsepower, I'm talking WHEEL horsepower, two completely different numbers.

Also, the 340ish WHP that I've seen on a modded 335 was with the Procede & Vishnu Exhaust, so your argument is out about it being JUST a chip.

Find me a 335i that doesn't have upgraded turbo's that makes over 350WHP.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
IMHO, you tried to find some type of budget deal. You specifically went looking at a screwed up G35, then you come here and claim "every one I looked at was messed up etc..." right

Originally Posted by joeygott
2006 G35 blk/blk all options except Nav, 15k miles. Needs tires. $28,500.
Is that a good deal on a car that was bought back due to engine blowing.
This is one of those cars that had oil burning issue. In 1000 miles, car burned over 4 qts and motor blew. Infiniti dealer put a new long block in it under warranty, then owner made them buy it back under lemon law since he had a few other issues, car went to auction, bought by broker, now wanting to sell to me.
Car fax shows this history. Car has full warranty, everything checks out, real good shape, everything works as it should. Now that it has a brand new long block from the factory, it runs perfect and has full warranty for another 4yrs/55k miles.
What should the price penalty be for this problem since it will ALWAYS be a part of this cars history? $1000, $2000, $3000, more???
If it wasn't for needing tires, I would think the price (even considering the negative history), would be very good.
Comments or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've gotten a little off subject. I"m not even that big into performance. Not like I'm taking it to the track, would never do that. All I'm saying is that the 335, with a simple and inexpensive mod is producing great power and incredible torque (the torque makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive than a G or any other smaller engine with turbo),and can easily get you into the high 12's if you want it for less than $500 (with stock tires), low to mid 13's bone stock, and yet still do 20/29 TRUE mpg in a great riding and beautiful coupe.
There are already people out there running low 12's with the car by modding intake/exhaust, and larger intercooler or water injection. And keep in mind, car has only been out 8 months or so.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:58 PM
WM.
It really surprised you that a new 335 has better performance than the last gen G?

Unless you have the extra money laying around, I don't think it is worth it to buy the 335. The base price of the 335 is almost 10k over the base price of the G35 and the the price of a fully loaded 335 vs the price of a fully loaded G35 is almost 15k. I believe that the 10-15k price difference is unjustifiable to many people.

Let's compare the G35 and G37 to something in the same price range? The 328i sounds about right. What car is the better performer now? I'll take the G, thanks.

I'd also like to address something else that always bothers me.

Taken from the other thread:

Originally Posted by fecurtis
plus its iDrive system is less than fun to fool around with.
Do you know this from personal experience, or is it just from what you have heard? Many people keep criticizing the iDrive system. After about a week of getting to know the system, the iDrive is a very simple and easy system to use. After my mom got her 5er she was able to use the system with no confusion only after a few days. All the BMW owners that I talk to too also say that the iDrive system is pretty simple and straight forward.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
I think the point is...why is this in the FOR SALE section? BMDouchebag for the lose.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:23 PM
Banned
NO, W.M., what really suprised me is that the NEW G isn't any faster than the old G per several reviews in the car magazines and even on this site, around 1/2 say they prefer the looks of the G35 over the G37. Infiniti did not honor their word and come out with the car that was almost exactly like the prototype.
And if you go back to my original email, I didn't spend too much time talking about performance, even though I did get into that later with other forum guys, it's all the other tangibles and intangibles. We aren't buying race cars here where it's dollar per horsepower.
I also never said anything about bang for buck, which would favor the G no doubt.
There is a reason why the 3 is considered by most in a league of it's own and spanks all other cars in the head to head tests. I never understood it myself and though it was political, but then you drive one and then you realize what they are talking about.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
The 335i is bad arsed. If given the choice for the same $, I'd take the bmw.

BUT, in the 3-4 mag articles I've read NONE has "spanked" the other in any significant way.

But I'll say the TT motor is much more moddable than the G37 motor

Old 08-17-2007, 04:30 PM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
i'll take my TT G35 over the 335i any day

Old 08-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Banned
And I have criticisms of the interior of the BMW. No suglass holder, cupholders suck, stereo display not legible if you are wearing polarized glasses, garage openeer on rear view so if you press too hard, you move the position of the mirror, etc. BUT....all that disappears as soon as you hit the gas. The car pulls hard at 2000rpm, it's unreal.
And the clutch is just awesome, smooth, easy, predictable. I can drive it almost as smooth as an auto, and the car is so tight and not a rough ride.
I know they are selling incredibly well, 9 months later and the cars are still selling at MSRP, well, not the sedan (it's ugly), just the coupe. That should tell you something.

Last edited by joeygott; 08-17-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Banned
For coming on the G site and saying how much more I prefer the bimmer, I"m suprised I didnt catch more heat. The G35 is a great car, as I'm sure the G37 is , just giving you the facts and my opinions and even though most of you don't know me, if you did, you would quickly realize I know what I"m talking about. So, when I decide to get something else a few years down the road, I will certainly be checking back with INfniti as I've always loved their cars. Hopefully, it will be a G40 twin turbo or something like that.
Don't want to overstay my welcome here. See you all out there on the road.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Please show us these "that the NEW G isn't any faster than the old G per several reviews in the car magazines". I'm not saying you are not true but I have not seen one yet. The big ones seem to like the G a lot and for the price they say it is better.

Let me also say that I like the 335 a lot! I would love to have one but for the money I would rather have a G37 with mods.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Mags are running the G37 @ 13.8 on the 1/4... Thats the same time that the 07Z was getting and yet the 07 Z's are capable of 13.3-13.5 pretty easily stock. I expect to see real world times of the G37 around there as well.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by joeygott
I ended up buying a 335 twin turbo. Many reasons.
Every used G I looked had problems- either lemon car, dealer buy back (2 used 2006's that blew engines due to oil burning), rattled like a 20yr old car, rode rough as heck, been wrecked, been switched from auto car to manual car like the turbo car for sale in CA, or is a silver car with tan interior, something totally crazy, owned by punks, modded in a cheesy (a la fast and furious), clutch was terrible, etc etc.. I couldn't find a CLEAN 05/06 black on black MT car (without baggage) to save my life (within 500 miles of Atlanta). And then I had one guy that wouldn't send me pics because he thought my email address looked suspicious and he thought I was going to steal his pictures and commit fraud. Seriously people, this is the mentality I have dealt with the last 3 months from MOST G owners. Would somebody please tell me what I would do with some G pics of which thousands are available to be copied off this site at any time?

Then I drove a BMW 335. It was night and day. Anyone that tells you different either hasn't driven a 335, or is so blindly loyal to the G that he would say the G is better than anyting out there. I love INFINITY and own one now, but there is NO COMPARISON and that is a fact.

The BMW runs circles around the G, is much smoother, more refined, handles better (verified by most magazines), has MUCH better seats, MUCH better lighting, MUCH better gas mileage, free maint to 50k miles, MUCH better back seat (ac, map lights, much more leg and head room), and feels so much more solid and composed when running it, and the clutch is like butter. And look at the forced induction G's and what they are selling for. Most have been run ragged and won't have the logevity and certainly the warranty that a 335 does and the 335 STOCK will outperform most FI G cars.
There are a few different chips avail for the 335 that EASILY put the car in the high 12's for qtr mile and guess what, still have same fuel economy for everyday driving and still have the full warranty.

So, I have given my INfiniti to my daughter who turns 16 this week, and I graduated to a much better car in the 335. And please don't embarrass yourself by mentioning that I should have waited for a G37. I happened to be one of the few that got to see one in person and it didn't do it for me. And if you look at all the new magazines, they try and sugar coat it, but performance hasn't gotten any better. Car got uglier, heavier, worse back seat, and they tweaked power just enough to cover the new heft. Except for the BOGUS Motor Trend article where they allowed INFINITI to bring an early auto car that didn't have the intercooler and therefore would go into limp mode due to getting hot, every other article in every other magazine still says the 335 is the better car. If you see through the political correctness, you will see that most say it's a MUCH better car. The MT 335's don't have the heating problem and the very early model auto's that went out without intercoolers have been retrofitted with them by BMW, all except the one car that Infiniti drags along everywhere to make their G37 look better than it is.
Infiniti and Motortrend lost me as a customer (and many others according to feedback on forums) when they pulled that crap.

I had one G customer mention BMW reliablility. Well, in their V8's, it's not that good, in their 3 series, it's VERY good. The G driver was stupid enough to quote JD powers and I had to go to it and paste the JD Powers page showing the BMW 3 as being more reliable, safer, and better resale. Most other organizations show them about even when it comes to reliablility, with BMW reliablility rising for the last 3-4 yrs and Nissan/Infiniti dropping considerably.

I've already spanked a few G35's and can't wait to do the same to the G37's.

You blew two engines in one year? Either your full of $hit or you can't drive very well. I'm glad you bought the BMW, I'm sure you'll be paying a few visits to the dealer.

-SZ

Old 08-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Banned
G35/37 vs 335

SUBZERO must be your IQ. I didn't say that I blew 2 motors, I said I looked a many used G's and 2 of the 2006 models I looked at had new motors because they had blown due to oil consumption problem. And there are quite a few more G owners that just recently posted on this site complaining about theirs being on the way out, so I wouldn't make a big deal about the fuel pump issue on the BMW or the lack of intercooler on first few months of automatic cars. What is that expression, something about stones and glass houses???

Also, look at new Car and Driver. You boys will like this. BMW 328 beat the G37 in the head to head. Yes, that's right. See, I give you the facts and can back them up. Now, the 328 doesn't compare performance wise to the 335. So, nuff said there.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...-bmw-328i.html

And for the guy who says he wants to SEE where it says the G37 isn't any quicker, just read about any review. Performance is basically dead on with G35. Here is a quote from Car and Driver, but you can look at Motor Trend too.

"The extra power doesn’t make much of a difference at the test track. The 0-to-60 sprint of 5.3 seconds is 0.2 second quicker than that of the G35 we compared with a BMW 328i [“Winds of Change?” April 2007], but 0.1 second slower than the first ’07 G35 we tested in October 2006. By the quarter-mile mark, the G37 is dead even with that October G35: 13.9 seconds at 103 mph."

Old 08-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Banned
If you read the Motor Trend article, it's a HUGE Joke in the industry right now. MT allowed Infiniti to bring the BMW 335 it was competiting against. MT never asked BMW to bring a car, they let Infinit bring the car. And they bring an early model car automatic (BMW didn't put Intercoolers on the auto cars until 3-4 months into production). It's a joke. MOTORTREND lost so much credibility out there with Infiniti and BMW people and more importantly, industry experts that have totally blasted them for what they did.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 335 vs G35/37...NO COMPARISON