G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Close Encounter with an RX-8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 06:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Close Encounter with an RX-8

An RX-8 shouldn't be able to pull away from a Coupe on a straightaway, even MT vs. AT. My guess is you were cruising along a low rpms in 5th, and the computer didn't downshift enough when you stomped the pedal. Makes a big difference. I once pulled away easily from a guy in an auto 911 Cabriolet (granted, the slowest 911) for the same reason. Gotta throw it into manual mode to make sure you're in the right gear.

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe
Titanium '03 MX-5 Shinsen #532

Old 09-22-2003, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree, G35 Coupe (even AT) should be able to beat RX8 in straight line with no problem... RX8 has good handling, but does not accelerate as fast... If a race in a place with a lot of turns, RX8 may has a chance, but straight line? G35 should be able to kill it.

Old 09-22-2003, 06:55 PM

in the best motoring video... it was a 5 lap race around Fuji (I think) track, and by lap 2... it pass the RX8 and never looked back. the RX8 was able to keep up around the corners in this, relatively twisty, track... but just loses out completely on the straight.... both cars tested were MT.

Old 09-22-2003, 07:11 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS

Good call JD.
On the subject of straight-line stability, which I think is as important as raw guts (power is nothing without control, if you remember the Pirelli ads), here's something interesting. Our Gs have what was once thought to be an inordinately long wheelbase. A seemingly insane 112.2" to be exact. The Enzo is 104 (mid-engine), the Vanquish is 106, the RX-8 is 106 (rotary-tiny engine), the Boxter is 95 (!), the 911 is 92 (!)- (mid and rear engine), the Z is 106, the upcoming Bugatti Veyron is 106(mid-engine). So why so long for the G? FM- Front Midship (and a back seat)- Not to suggest that they invented it, they didn't, but many companies are now looking to lengthen wheelbase. The GT replacement at Ferrari for the 456GT, perhaps to be called the 460M, reportedly will have the same length wheelbase at 112", and be of FM design (weight of the engine behind the front axle line). The new Carrera GT will be the longest Porsche ever. The new Merc SLR will have a 112 inch plus wheelbase (8 inches longer overall length than the G)... Benefit? Who here has had the car in excess of 120? Insane how stable and composed the G is at speed. Top speed is a "one handed, eat your donut and drink your coffee, have a conversation with your girl" kind of affair. And while autocrossing is not it's strong suit, any corner intended for more than 20 mph is of no concern. Combined with just right rigidity, refined suspension, and great aeros, the car really takes a set when pressed. Stuffing the engine behind the axle-line allows the car to handle well in the twisties while remaining stable at speed. Strange that Ghosn, current Nissan savior, was first to market with this trend.

DB

Old 09-22-2003, 10:19 PM

Indeed, the G35 coupe should be able to pull the RX-8

Most of the reports that I've heard about the RX-8 have said that, although the MTs are rated at 250hp, they're dyno-ing at about ~170hp at the wheels. Which doesn't really make any sense at all unless the MT is somehow sucking 30% of the power. Mazda has offered to buy back the RX-8s that are out there because of this power discrepancy... supposedly the engine actually only puts out around 220-230hp (which is STILL a pretty high estimation if you ask me).

And with the comparatively little amount of torque that those RX-8s have, you should be able to pull on them from both stop and from go. Provided straight line... now, the turns, I think may be a different story.....

2003 Infiniti G35c 6MT
1997 Audi A4 1.8TQM (+mods)
1994 Mazda RX-7 (+++mods)

Old 09-23-2003, 12:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I see that I started somewhat of a frenzy of opinions here. I guess I should have been more detailed in my story. When I hopped on the fwy I was already at 75mph. According to the guy he already saw me on the on ramp merging on the fwy. As soon as I got behind him he just punched it........so yes he did get a jump on me. My kick down sensor worked just fine cus as soon as I floored it kicked into a lower gear and just took off. In that instance he was accelerating away from me, don't ask me how or why he just did. What I didn't mention was when I was already at top gear I closed on him pretty quick. This is the reason why he was behind me when I exited from the fwy to get gas. The concern I had was the initial acceleration he did when I got behind him. Is it because he had a jump on me? Maybe I was in the wrong rpm power band when I floored the accelerator? I was thinking maybe the car is just heavy I think the G coupe is tipping the scale at 3400lbs not sure? What do you peeps think?

<font color=blue> </font color=blue>

Old 09-23-2003, 05:21 PM

Being an RX8 driver...I don't know how that happened.
If you were doing 75mph...there is a tiny chance that the guy on the 8 could have downshifted to 4th (I'll have to check this....personally) in which case he was more than likely on the 'good' powerband for the 8 (above 6.5K rpm) which would explain why he pulled some distance initially.

But obviously when you hit it, the distance grew smaller. Which does make sense, given the Gs broad powerband. Maybe its the AT reaction time that played against you for those few seconds.

Any more opinions?

RX-8 V.Red / 6MT

Old 09-23-2003, 06:40 PM

yeah the rx powerband is contained to a smaller area in the top end of the power curves where no other car this side of 45k changes rpm speed faster from say 5500 to 8000. Its neck breaking with the right momentum. So if you 8ers are in the sweet spot and pedal time you can make almost any car look bad for a second. Some cars can run fast enough to make up this time, but you'd better be a great driver in the 8 to run track times faster than coupe...if its possible???

Old 09-23-2003, 09:05 PM

Agree!
On an oval track we are busted like eggs. But, I guess, if the track becomes more complicated the 8 might have an edge (kindda like an S2K)

The BIG problem is keeping the 8 in the right range. Remember that acceleration when exiting a curve is very important...so as you said, the driver has to be good.

BTW, the video I heard they were refering to is the TSUKUBA Battle: That's were the Skyline (the G coupe) showed its pedigree...it literally ripped everyone (S2K included) and the 8 finished ahead of the Miata (being the MX5 the last in the grid.)

So I really don't know how things could turn out on the track. On a drag strip...you have to punish the 8 too much to get juice out of it...

Anyways, peace and check this link...pretty funny
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/presaddress2.shtml

RX-8 V.Red / 6MT

Old 10-03-2003, 01:35 AM

Mazda overrated the HP on the 8, I think its somewhere between 235 ~ 240. A 6manual G would pull hard over 100mph against the 8, and because of the torque converter in the auto, you lose high end. mechanical to fluid to mechanical definitely has a disadvantages as opposed to mechanical connections all the way through. Even in tight race tracks the G35 should have the advantage. I think the only place where the 8 has an advantage would be in autocross. the 8 is more in the class of the S2000, which is right below the G.

Old 10-03-2003, 02:17 AM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I know and have read, I'm trying to figure out an absolute comparative advantage to the ol' rotory engine compared to their piston-driven bretheren. The torque is lower, the compression rations can be comparatively pitiful, and their much harder to make in a fuel-efficient/eco-friendly manner.

I know Mazda's master plan is to get these out so they can drop the RX-7, but where are they going with this? I know a bit about the wankle-rotory, so I'm just confused as to why someone would hold on to the design. Thoughts?

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 10-03-2003, 04:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta agree wit ya. One night I was just cruising and passed this big trolley (for those that don't know what it looks like...its like one of those trains moving on the road in SF) with a couple of white girls sitting in the front. I had to stop for the light and this trolley caught up with me. We were side by side and these two girls on the deck crouched down just to say hi to me. LOL! Where are the sunroofs when I need one? Damn. Oh wellz...its all good.

Old 10-03-2003, 11:08 AM

That's been a long debated, beaten horse. I could start talking about pros & cons of a rotary (keep in mind I am not an engineer nor a mechanic,) but there would always be some 'but'

Just keep in mind that the Wankel has been under 'serious' development by a single company for the last 40~50 years. And that the piston engine's been with us for the past....200 years(??)

Theoretically the benefits of the rotary are their fewer moving parts, compact size, relative low weight, its ability to reach higher speeds (engine speed - remember that though it might not have gobs of torque, the higher in the rev range the more power the engine makes.) And I guess the list can go on.

Now the disadvantages: very few auto parts are able to keep up with the rev rate of a rotary, therefore defeating the high-rev ability, seems not too enviromentaly friendly running on gas (I heard something about hydrogen rotaries being a lot more viable for the application); they use oil more actively than piston engines, therefore an above average oil consumption and dependability.

That's all I can come up with. Disclaimer: I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. Please lets don't start and endless discussion on the subject simply because I don't think either me or anyone else here know enough of the subject to have a serious opinion (unless you are en engine designer of course!!).

Cheers!

RX-8 V.Red / 6MT

Old 10-03-2003, 11:50 AM

That's what I would say...big advantage of rotaries is size (and consequently weight) and revability (fewer moving parts). That's why you still see a lot of RX-7s on the tracks...Back when the 300Z, Supra, and 3000GT were putting out 300+ HP and the RX-7 only 255, the RX-7 could still take almost all of them through the turns. Yeah, straightaways aren't so great, but I'd argue that type of track would warrant a different type of car. RX-7s were made for twisties.

Now about the G versus the 8. I'd say that the initial jump was because he basically got the "go" before you even knew what was up. So he had all the time to downshift and floor it while you were still coming up to highway speeds. And the car is lighter, so there's less mass to accelerate...those factors would of course lead to a faster pick-up. But when you got on the gas hard, you just overcame his acceleration (as you saw). I'm actually surprised you guys went up to 140mph (indicated...maybe really 130?)..his engine must have been screaming at that speed.

Old 10-03-2003, 11:52 AM

"I had to stop for the light and this trolley caught up with me. We were side by side and these two girls on the deck crouched down just to say hi to me. LOL! Where are the sunroofs when I need one?"

Man, I need to hurry up and make a decision on which car to get! And BTW, no sunroof in this case could be better...maybe the next set of girls will bend over to say hi :P LOL