G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Thoughts on the new 335I BMW?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 07:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fabulustt7
power shift? is that when you shift with out really using the clutch?
It's shifting without taking your foot off the gas pedal when shifting. If done properly it's worth a at least a .1 of a sec; if done sloppily you'll hit the rev limiter which will kill your time.

Here are definitions of different shifting tchniques:

1.Powershifting is effectively shifting without fully releasing the clutch. You keep the gas pedal down while you only use about half the clutch travel to shift hard and fast. This is incredibly hard on a transmission, and in fact simply will not work on most transmissions. Without fully pushing in the clutch on most cars, you can neither pull the shifter out of gear nor put it into a new one (and it will grind as you try).

2.Granny shifting is when you take a slight pause in neutral between gears when shifting. So instead of going smoothly from 2nd to 3rd, you pull out of 2nd, stop for a moment in neutral along the way, then go into 3rd, and let the clutch out again. Very slow.

3. Double-clutching is like granny shifting except that you actually let the clutch out when you're in neutral, bring up the engine RPMs again, then push in the clutch and go into the next gear. And you do it all VERY fast. This was especially necessary on older cars before synchro gears smoothed the processes of changing gears in the gearbox. It is also a way to avoid grinding gears on transmissions that have been damaged by powershifting too much.

Last edited by FAST1; 09-04-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the 335 looks hot. Not too keen on the tail lights though, how the reverse light ust ends on the rear, and the tail ight section carries over to the trunk lid. Looks like they forgot to add something there.

Dont know if I take one over my G though, I think our G's just are plain sexier. Although I've been looking at the new Audi RS4's...now that I would have to give a closer look too. SO SWEEEEEET!

Old 09-05-2006, 03:51 AM
Originally Posted by Finiti35
I've said it before and I'll say it again, you can't outrun ugly (and fat...). Take it to the Nurburgring and then we'll talk. You can magazine race it all day long, but fun isn't a straight line.
So you don't think it will handle well?

Old 09-05-2006, 04:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just parked my coupe next to a E46 BMW 330 coupe a couple days ago and thought "Dang, the German coupe looks pretty ugly, it's just a sedan with 2 doors chopped off."

New 3 series has been released and the new G35 Coupe will come out next year - looks like the story will repeat itself once more. I had really high hopes for a distinct BMW 4 series, but looks like they decided to follow the same 'chop 2 doors off' formula again on the 3 series coupe.

Performance wise though - Bravo Bimmer. Let's hope they didn't overboost the motor and have tons of engine failures like the first gen E46 M3's.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:55 AM
I just parked my coupe next to a E46 BMW 330 coupe a couple days ago and thought "Dang, the German coupe looks pretty ugly, it's just a sedan with 2 doors chopped off
It would be hard to beat the G35 in the exterior beauty department, although I believe the 335 coupe looks nice, especially when compared to BMW's recent offerings. The coupe is longer and lower than the sedan, and it has a powerdome hood, deeper front air dam, and different headlight and tail light setups than the sedan.

Let's hope they didn't overboost the motor and have tons of engine failures like the first gen E46 M3's
The M3 is not boosted. It's normally aspirated.

Let's look at the areas where the 335 coupe will surpass the G35: interior and exterior fit and finish, quality of interior materials, performance both in a straight line and in the twisties (just my guess in the twisties but I'm certain that magazine articles will soon appear confirming my guess), and I expect that the 335 like other BMW products will be relatively free of the squeaks and rattles that seem to plague most G35s. And of course there's the 4yr/50K free maintenance which Infiniti doesn't offer.

Personally I think the 335 coupe is worth a long hard look. It has performance comparable to the E46 M3, and there's certain to be chips offered shortly that will make the 335 faster than the M3.

Old 09-05-2006, 09:06 AM
FGC South Florida BOD
Originally Posted by Dan_K
So you don't think it will handle well?
BMWs aren't known for bad handling and they should never be, if you take away the handling from a BMW it will no longer be one! But if you look at Bangle's new masterpieces over the past 4 years or so, they're only getting bigger, heavier and more and more automated. The 335i is pushing 3600lbs and BMW claims they saved 150lbs by going FI over a V8... you make your own conclusion about how much the E92 M3 is going to weigh. Of course, the 335 isn't meant to handle like an M car, but the bottom line is that every new BMW is becoming "softer" and less driver-oriented... you don't see Porsche doing that.

Last edited by Finiti35; 09-05-2006 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:06 AM
you don't see Porsche doing that

High performance cars are a compromise between street and track use, but even Porsches have a much softer, creature comfort edge to their recent offerings. Compare the spartan 993 to the recent 911 iterations: 996 and 997. Granted that Porsche still has its track oriented offering, GT3, but it's basic offerings have evolved and Porsche now offers accouterments that were unheard of just ten years ago.

As far as weight is concerned, the feds have a lot to do with that. High end cars now have airbags in the front, back, and sides, and there are cross members built into car doors to protect its occupants from side impacts. Throw in things like sun roofs, automatic trannies, plush heavy seats front and back and all of the gadgets now offered on these cars, and it's tough to get them under 3600 lbs. Even the essentially two seater compact 997 with an auto tranny weighs almost 3200 lbs.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:33 AM
FGC South Florida BOD
Agreed - but sometimes there is no logical explanation behind what a manufacturer chooses to put on a vehicle. Porsche isn't perfect either - sunroof is now standard on the GT3, without a delete option. Didn't GT3's use to come with roll cages? Still, Porsche is doing a better job at staying true to themselves.. I just cringe at the idea of a 3800lb M3.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:03 PM
im sure the 335 will be a great car...
but i'll pony up a few extra dollars and get a GT-R.
even if it werent for the GT-R though, i think i'd rather take this and $10k in cash:

Old 09-05-2006, 12:30 PM
^+1....... damn so sexy, plus i keep 10k

Old 09-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by chilibowl
Oh my f*cking god, you seriously need to be BANNED. YOU AND YOUR F*CKING COBRA BULLSH*T IS SO GAY Every single post of yours, is about your f*cking stupid *** cobra gayness, are you some kind of homo?
cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra

Old 09-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Banned
only the modded 335's will be

Originally Posted by Funner567
that thing will be a G eater
The new G35 will still be more powerfull than the new 335i, and we will only have to performa a few mods to be just as fast with our current model g35's. The modded 335's will be pretty scary though and they would be a really cool sleeper especially with the few and fairly inexpensive turbo mods that could make the stupid bimmer's freaking fast. Their only problem would be that bimmer parts are expensive as all hell, so I think we're still fine.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 99atlantic
cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra cobra

Hadda be a stupid canadian...

Old 09-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if the new bmw FI motors are as smooth to spool like NA motors, i would
consider it. im not the biggest fan of FI...i tried nitrous, turbo, and sc...
i still prefer the smooth, consistent spool of NA's... especially the VQ.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chilibowl
Oh my f*cking god, you seriously need to be BANNED. YOU AND YOUR F*CKING COBRA BULLSH*T IS SO GAY Every single post of yours, is about your f*cking stupid *** cobra gayness, are you some kind of homo?
HAH oh god that was great!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new 335I BMW?