G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need Advice on buying a new G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Need Advice on buying a new G35

Hi, I'm new to the forum since I plan on purchasing a new 2006 G35 6MT by the end of the month. Since I have never bought a car by myself, I would love to get some pointers from you guys.

Here's a list of the things I need advice/instructions on:
1) Should I start the price negotiation? If yes, how?
2) How can I lower the price without giving up the additional options that I want?
3) How long does the process take? Should I avoid making the deal on my 1st visit?
4) Should I go with a friend?

I haven't know anyone who's good at haggling so I will have to rely on you guys. In the few months I've been a member, I've read many of your posts and believe I'll get truthful replies from this community. Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited by boknows; 10-10-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Oh yes, if there are other things you think i should know about buying a new car, please feel free to enlighten me. Thanks.

Last edited by boknows; 10-10-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biggest thing is do your homework before you go.
Know the price that the vehicle is going for, know what is a good deal and what is not.
Know exactly what you want.
The people that get the best deals are the ones that are not making any decisions at the dealership because they already knwo what they want befoer they get there and have done the homework beforehand.
As Far as your questions:
1. Simply ask what the price is on the car that you want(tell them all the options you want included) and they will tell you $XX, XXX. Make an unhappy face and say something like "you can do better than that" or "that is a little higher than i expected". That will get the negotiations going. Hopefully you will know what is a good price in your area is and can negotiate down to it, other wise walk away. (NEVER FEEL OBLIGATED TO BUY, YOU CAN ALWAYS WALK AWAY)
2. that is what negotaitions is all about, if you want what you want...stick to your guns.
3. if it is a great deal, take it, if not try anotehr dealership.
4. if you are young..less than 25 I would suggest not unless your friend is an older adult. 2 young males walking into a dealership will not command respect. unfortunate but true. Dress nice, act mature and you will get the most respect from the salesman.

On a side note go to teh regional forums for your area and ask around there if anyone has a good salesman that they dealt with. Where they found good deals etc...
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Look on the web and pull the dealer invoice price for all of the options that you want. Tell them you are willing to pay $300-500 over invoice and that's it. I went in there knowing what I wanted ordered the car, paid $500 over invoice price and was done with it.

Turned out great for me because they had a car in transit, re-routed it to my dealership and I got her with 4 miles on it, in less than a month.

I'm 24 and age has nothing to do with it as long as you know how to carry yourself. I negotiate for a living so it was easier for me than most, but have your documents ready to go. If they aren't willing to work with you another dealership will be. Salesmen are there to waste time they would sell anything they could to get a sale. Know what "YOU" want and don't let them tell you otherwise. Be stern!

Old 10-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Do not make the deal that same day go to several infiniti dealerships and get them all in a price war with each other, I'm playing the game right now I've gotten 3 different quotes 516/mo, 505/mo, and 489/mo so I know theres still room to go lower and I'm holding out longer

Old 10-10-2006, 02:04 PM
It also helps to go in there knowing your willing to walk away.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:05 PM
This site helped me a lot:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

I didn't read through absolutely everything, or take all of their advice, but it gets you in the right mindset and has good advice about how to prepare. If you don't feel like getting that deep into it all, the other posters have pretty good advice.

FYI, I got mine at about $900 under invoice.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:46 PM
I will say the age thing doesn't matter. I'm 25 but act much older than my years, and I agree its all about how you carry yourself. Understand that salesmen can smell when you are willing to walk away and don't give a f--k. Much like talking to a girl, when you show no interest and don't care, they will do what you want.

I just turned in my 04 coupe for lease on 06, and wasn't even planning on getting the car. I stopped at the dealership on the way to the gym, just to see what kind of deal they would give me. I was wearing cut off t-shirt, nike shorts and tennis shoes. They treated me like Donald Trump in there. I told them what I wanted to pay, and was stubborn without being too much of a jerk. Just hold firm and remember you are paying them. Make them work for their money.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Use CarsDirect.com

Put in a request online by building your car and clicking on the "Save with CarsDirect" button. Put in the comments section that you want me (Chris Low) to work with you on it.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Always remember one thing....YOU ARE THE BOSS. At the end of the day they are salesman looking for your money, so you control the situation. If you don't like the deal, you can always walk away, and they'll know that they may lose a potential comission.

When i bought mine, I asked for the options and color I wanted, and worked a deal so the price came down toward my asking price (must be reasonable). When he didn't give it to me, I flat out told him I could find it somewhere else. Three hours later, the salesman called me back agreeing to my terms.

Just remember, no matter what advice is out there...you are the boss and they are there to make you happy, because if you are happy then you buy the car, which translates to MONEY for him.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by GregFarz78
Do not make the deal that same day go to several infiniti dealerships and get them all in a price war with each other, I'm playing the game right now I've gotten 3 different quotes 516/mo, 505/mo, and 489/mo so I know theres still room to go lower and I'm holding out longer

Any down payment with that?

Old 10-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Keep in mind that an 06 is almost automatically a one year old car. You should be getting a very good deal on end of year pricing. Look on edmunds.com to find the invoice and list price. My opinion, you should be able to buy at or below invoice for an 06.
I have had great experiences with Jackie Cooper Imports in Tulsa. I'd at least give them a shot. They offered to get me an 06 on a dealer swap for less than I could buy locally for.
Shop it to every dealer you can, even if you fully intend to buy locally. Keeps everyone honest.
Like everyone has said, you are the boss and don't hesitate to walk away if you don't get the price you feel comfortable with, but don't haggle over pennies, salemen have to make a living too, just not a killing on every car. Let the next buyer be the idiot.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks for all the advices you've given me. I've been reading about this issue online and would like to hear your opinion on the invoice.

I've read that sometimes the invoice could work against you. Seeing that invoices are no secrets since they're all over the internet, are they reliable measuring sticks and should I base my expectations on how much to pay on the invoice? Thanks again for the replies!

Old 10-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Do all your shopping/negotiating on-line. I bought my last 4 cars this way in the past 3 years. Not to brag about it, but this should give you an idea of what to expect when shopping/negotiating on-line:
          Not a new concept, but I still wonder why doesn't everyone (at least those who know how to use a computer) do the same? "Internet Fleet Manager" is your best friend Just be upfront about what you want and don't mess around if you are not ready to buy.

Good luck and don't pay anything over invoice.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:55 PM
          Originally Posted by beholder
          Any down payment with that?
          $1500 at signing its for a 24mo lease...not sure how you guys are getting below invoice best I can do is a few hundred over invoice maybe it depends on location

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on buying a new G35