G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Strike one Infiniti, so disappointed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strike one Infiniti, so disappointed.

This is a cross post for a liitle more visibility....

You might remember my post a while back about a clatter with my G35C-6MT transmission. I was trying to make it to my first scheduled service appointment to have it looked at but it continued to get louder and at about 1400 miles I couldn't take it anymore. I set up an appointment with my local dealer who got the car in the very next business day (today). After reproducing the problem w/the service advisor I left with my loaner.

Around 4pm I followed up with my dealer and got the bad news that my car would require essentially all new clutch parts at 1500 miles As I expected there would be a multi-day delay in getting the parts as they are not stocked and availability was unknown. The dealer asked if I wanted to continue with the loaner and leave my car at the dealers for an undermined amount of time, or pick my car back up and drop it off again after the parts arrived. After a bit of thought I figured I'd pick my car back up and cut out the possibility of something happening to it on the dealer lot.

After arriving and picking up the car at the dealer I was only a block down the road when I noticed the foul stench of slipping clutch. At first I thought it was coming from one of the 5 million other cars around me at rush hour but unfortunately even after I got clear of traffic that stench hung around. Interestingly the stronger the stench the quieter my rattling is getting

So now I sit on a clattering, slipping clutch at 1530 miles into my g35 coup ownership experience. I was so in love with this car, and I still am, but for at least the next few weeks it is going to represent nothing but a 300 ton gorilla size headache for me. I guess I will go back and pick up my loaner rather than ridding around crossing my fingers my clutch doesn't melt completely down between now the unknown time when all my parts will arrive. To my dealer's credit, they offered to garage my car if I had to leave it with them and have been as quick about dealing with this as circumstances allow. I hope they keep up the good work because they are the thin line between my coming out of this willing to purchase another Infiniti and crossing Infiniti off my list for good.

So for those with rattling '04 clutches, even those that "went away" on their own, you might want to think twice about having it looked at.

Note to Infiniti: a failed clutch at 1500 miles is not the way for a "conversion" car like the G35 to perform!

PS. This is my seventh performance car with a manual transmission (some of the others being an M3, M5, and Corvette) but the first with clutch problems, so yes Virginia I do know how to drive stick.

Old 10-27-2003, 07:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Strike one Infiniti, so disappointed.

Welcome to the club man. I took mine in for the same problem last week. But guess what? They told me my whole transmission needs to be replaced. I do have considerabley more miles (15,000) but I still think that's it's a crock that the MT dies after 15K. Also, my dealer wouldn't even let me keep my loaner until the new tranny arrived. So I am driving around with a chatter box just like you. I must say you are taking it better than me. Infiniti of america will be hearing from me soon. *Sigh* My love for my G has become bitter sweet. [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 10-28-2003, 12:39 AM

GREAT!!! I just gave up a 345 HP(bone stock) camaro SS because I was tired of all the little problems...driveshaft slop, tranny problems, etc..sacrificing almost 100 HP to the wheels, for a better built car. I love the G, and I don't have any problems yet(too early), but hopefully I won't have any problems. But these post are scaring me.

128097-scared.gif

Old 10-28-2003, 01:44 AM

Ok .. Not to dawg on any of the 6MT drivers tht had this problem, but I want to kno wht are the odds of this actually happening? I mean, it couldn't be any high percentage, or else, there would be an entire recall issue, correct? So I want to kno how many ppl DON'T have this problem.. I have 600 or so miles on my 04 and no problems yet. Also .. Does the 350z MT have this problem? I don't wanna regret my choosing a Gcoupe instead......

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 10-28-2003, 11:14 AM

4600 miles, no problems

Old 10-28-2003, 11:24 AM

Posting in a car forum is probably not a good way to get any sort of statistical data..

that said: 1200 miles.. works like a dream..

'04 6mt coupe

Old 10-28-2003, 11:25 AM

1500 no problem

04, 6mt, Twilight Blue, Premium, Aero

Old 10-28-2003, 11:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

4600 miles. no problems. black on black 6mt very hard to keep it clean.

Old 10-28-2003, 11:57 AM

1600 miles - God willing there won't be any problems

One Step Ahead of the Rest

Old 10-28-2003, 12:49 PM

7600 miles here, lots of around town shifting. No problems so far. Crosses fingers

The RX has left the building, I have been driving the G for about 6 weeks!!!!

Old 10-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Omi
Charter Monkey Florida G35 club

6800 miles no problems, except for the chattering which the dealer has looked at 3 times and says they can't do anything with it. I thought it was the throw-out bearing, but they are saying it is a different bushing and they can't do anything until Infiniti NA comes out with a TSB. I guess we gotta keep complaining to HQ

Old 10-28-2003, 01:10 PM

2200 miles - 6spd black on black, and yes very hard to keep clean

Old 10-28-2003, 01:14 PM

2300 miles so far so good except for a few scratches Good Luck
03 6mt black/black

Old 10-28-2003, 01:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMI, Take it to another dealer. That is what I did and got a whole differant story when I did. Now I've gone from "Oh that sound is common on this type of tranny", (Dealer #1). To "I'm sorry sir your transmission has to be replaced", (Dealer #2).
I do agree that statistcally you are not gonna get a good idea of how many people are actually having issues from a Enthusiast site since I think there is a large amount of questions about issuse from a small amount of people. However I have done some searching on this and various other sites and have found what I would classify as more than an acceptable amount of posts about problems with the 6MT on both the 03' & 04' G35 Coupes and 350z's. I can appreciate the first model year comments as well but seeing as the tranny made it's appearance in the 350z over a year ago I would think that they would have some of the reliability issues ironed out by 04' model year. I am patient and I love my car so I will see how it goes after the tranny is replaced this week, BUT..... If this becomes an issue a re-occuring repair issue like some others going through several trannies. I will not stand by while my beautiful G falls apart. For those of you whom have not had any issues yet, may the force be with you.

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 10-28-2003, 03:44 PM

5800 miles....no problems.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Strike one Infiniti, so disappointed.