G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Pinging Spark Knock Pre-Ignition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 03:49 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the info guys... sorry i was a little lazy and should have just googled

Old 10-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by absolutg
thanks for the info guys... sorry i was a little lazy and should have just googled
It's cool. That's what we are here for.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. ByThaBay
2. Fini
3. zipzow
4. jeffy1
5. ttrank (only at very high rpm on hot days with Stillen stage 4)
6. trey.hutcheson (from the factory) - 32k miles, stillen airbox, ztube, mrev+, test pipes, exhaust - part throttle, heavy throttle, low rpms, WOT, cool, hot
7. Foo_G ( on acceleration and in high RPM it is really bad )
8. SHaigh (stock, discovered @6K miles, when engine is very warm, details in other thread)
9. 6MTzer (low rpm's, comes and goes, usually when the outside temp is hot.)Motordyne Plenum Spacer.
10. droppin_deuces (thanks for starting this BythaBay)

Old 10-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member
Location: Universe.Milkyway.Solarsystem.Earth.NorthAmerica.USA.FL.Tampa
Is anyone seeing a high idle by high I mean consistently over the spec of 650 rpm.

Mine idles consistently at 700 and seldom drops rather it typically will raise to about 710 maybe 720.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:29 PM
Forgot to mention...I've been experiencing the pinging intermittently at low rpms.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. ByThaBay
2. Fini
3. zipzow
4. jeffy1
6. trey.hutcheson (from the factory) - 32k miles, stillen airbox, ztube, mrev+, test pipes, exhaust - part throttle, heavy throttle, low rpms, WOT, cool, hot
8. SHaigh (stock, discovered @6K miles, when engine is very warm, details in other thread)
9. 6MTzer (low rpm's, comes and goes, usually when the outside temp is hot.)Motordyne Plenum Spacer.
11. jdmeg21 - on very warm or hot days, at low rpm while giving heavy throttle - notice it between 1,2,3 - have hks exhaust, stillen intake. If I don't gas it like crazy I don't get the pinging.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:28 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've been trying to listen for it but all i hear is my exhaust... erm i don't have the rev up anyway but i can't hear the engine really

Old 10-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Florida G35 Club
I have absolute no Knocking at all running my timing at a base of 19 degrees.

On very important thing to know about the VQ engine is that you have to make sure you have all the air purged out of the cooling system. The water jackets in this engine have a way of blocking air in the cylinder heads and intake, Will cause hot spots and pinging if not purged. Its an easy fix.

My 05 rev-up

Old 10-27-2006, 09:30 PM
so how do you purge the air out.

Old 10-28-2006, 04:12 AM
1. ByThaBay
2. Fini
3. zipzow
4. jeffy1
11. jdmeg21 - on very warm or hot days, at low rpm while giving heavy throttle - notice it between 1,2,3 - have hks exhaust, stillen intake. If I don't gas it like crazy I don't get the pinging.
12. donkeykong - at around 2k RPM up until around 2.5k RPM with hard acceleration

Old 10-28-2006, 12:08 PM
-2006 IP GT350-
Do you guys use water injection? I've never heard anyone in here use one yet.

JJ

Old 10-28-2006, 03:08 PM
whats water injection

Old 05-07-2007, 07:07 AM
1. ByThaBay
2. Fini
3. zipzow
4. jeffy1
12. donkeykong - at around 2k RPM up until around 2.5k RPM with hard acceleration
13. alderran - very slight last summer but now that the weather is getting warmer here I'm noticing it again and it's much worse. Bringing the car in on Wed.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Lip
I experience this issue. For me, you can hear the pinging most below 3800 rpm.
However, on the dyno, the car pinged through the higher ranges, albeit less noticeable due to exhaust and intake noise.

More so on certain types of gas, less on others.

Example, in RWC, they Unocal 76 on Woodside Rd. sells 100 octane unleaded fuel ($5.15/gallon last I checked) If I mix half a tank of 100 with 91, little if any knocking and the car seems to come on cam at 4500 more consistently, probably because the timing isn't retarded with the higher octane fuel.

The cause? I've heard a few theories.

1. The most obvious: 91 Octane combined with Fuel additives, especially in California. My VW/Audi products experienced the same issues on California gas. Somebody suggested to me that running the cheapest fuel may actually be the best answer as it doesn't include things like Techron and the like.
My results were mixed to be honest. I can run Chevron on one occasion without much pinging and then she'll ping like mad the next time I fill up.

2. Not so obvious: Detonation detection sensor/Knock sensor-
A well informed source told me that the location of the sensor is in a not so ideal location on this motor. Additionally, it has a hard time detecting detonation due to the design and the mounting.
The same source told me that a fix would be to at least mount the sensor with a water jacket that would allow sound to resonate with greater effect, thus allowing the engine to adjust it's timing/air/fuel ratios more readily.

My experiences: Adding more air, accentuates the pinging (i.e. Plenum spacer, CAI, etc) The Unichip helped to eliminate some pinging. Hot weather results in more pinging.
The intake in these cars doesn't seem to dissipate heat very well.
Thus, I've experimented with removing the decrative plastic plenum cover.
Luckily, we just had a few days with 90+ degree temps. I think it helps a little , as I'm not pinging as much as before. (hard to quantify, I know)
The car still runs like a champ, I'm just careful not to the lug the car too hard below 3000 rpm.

Would better cooling help?
Different Thermostat?

Old 05-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Let me add one more to that..
another theory is that small amounts of oil gets in the combustion chamber which decreases the level of octane hence causing the pinging.
ppl added a oil collector and there problems were gone, i beleive there was a post about that while ago

Originally Posted by Lip
I experience this issue. For me, you can hear the pinging most below 3800 rpm.
However, on the dyno, the car pinged through the higher ranges, albeit less noticeable due to exhaust and intake noise.

More so on certain types of gas, less on others.

Example, in RWC, they Unocal 76 on Woodside Rd. sells 100 octane unleaded fuel ($5.15/gallon last I checked) If I mix half a tank of 100 with 91, little if any knocking and the car seems to come on cam at 4500 more consistently, probably because the timing isn't retarded with the higher octane fuel.

The cause? I've heard a few theories.

1. The most obvious: 91 Octane combined with Fuel additives, especially in California. My VW/Audi products experienced the same issues on California gas. Somebody suggested to me that running the cheapest fuel may actually be the best answer as it doesn't include things like Techron and the like.
My results were mixed to be honest. I can run Chevron on one occasion without much pinging and then she'll ping like mad the next time I fill up.

2. Not so obvious: Detonation detection sensor/Knock sensor-
A well informed source told me that the location of the sensor is in a not so ideal location on this motor. Additionally, it has a hard time detecting detonation due to the design and the mounting.
The same source told me that a fix would be to at least mount the sensor with a water jacket that would allow sound to resonate with greater effect, thus allowing the engine to adjust it's timing/air/fuel ratios more readily.

My experiences: Adding more air, accentuates the pinging (i.e. Plenum spacer, CAI, etc) The Unichip helped to eliminate some pinging. Hot weather results in more pinging.
The intake in these cars doesn't seem to dissipate heat very well.
Thus, I've experimented with removing the decrative plastic plenum cover.
Luckily, we just had a few days with 90+ degree temps. I think it helps a little , as I'm not pinging as much as before. (hard to quantify, I know)
The car still runs like a champ, I'm just careful not to the lug the car too hard below 3000 rpm.

Would better cooling help?
Different Thermostat?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pinging Spark Knock Pre-Ignition