G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Pinging Spark Knock Pre-Ignition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
I assume I have no pinging issue, because if I did, it would be rather obvious, right?

I know what pinging/knocking is. But have not heard anything strange from my engine.

The only only strange thing I have ever heard was a strange loud vibration during WOT at the track, particularly around 6000 rpm's in third, when my acceleration is held the longest.

Anyone think this "vibration" I have encountered before at the track is an issue? Or just normal?

Old 05-10-2007, 05:07 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
I assume I have no pinging issue, because if I did, it would be rather obvious, right?

I know what pinging/knocking is. But have not heard anything strange from my engine.

The only only strange thing I have ever heard was a strange loud vibration during WOT at the track, particularly around 6000 rpm's in third, when my acceleration is held the longest.

Anyone think this "vibration" I have encountered before at the track is an issue? Or just normal?

Agreed. It would be very obvious.
I've read that the knock sensor can effect as much as 10 or 12 degrees retardation if necessary which should nullify any preignition.

I personally think Damon is right on here too.

C.

Old 05-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know what pinging is and my motor is pinging. Not as bad as a 1984 Plymouth Reliant but still I know knocking when I hear it.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
1. ByThaBay
2. Fini
3. zipzow
4. jeffy1
5. ttrank (only at very high rpm on hot days with Stillen stage 4)
6. trey.hutcheson (from the factory) - 32k miles, stillen airbox, ztube, mrev+, test pipes, exhaust - part throttle, heavy throttle, low rpms, WOT, cool, hot
7. Foo_G ( on acceleration and in high RPM it is really bad )
8. SHaigh (stock, discovered @6K miles, when engine is very warm, details in other thread)
9. 6MTzer (low rpm's, comes and goes, usually when the outside temp is hot.)Motordyne Plenum Spacer.
10. droppin_deuces (thanks for starting this BythaBay)
11. jdmeg21 - on very warm or hot days, at low rpm while giving heavy throttle - notice it between 1,2,3 - have hks exhaust, stillen intake. If I don't gas it like crazy I don't get the pinging.
12. donkeykong - at around 2k RPM up until around 2.5k RPM with hard acceleration
13. alderran - very slight last summer but now that the weather is getting warmer here I'm noticing it again and it's much worse. Bringing the car in on Wed.
14. 06CPV35 - on hot days and heavy load in low rpms. JWT intake; Injen Dual Ti Exhaust; Engine cover off. Dyno a/f shows lean untill 3200 rpm.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:52 AM
Add me to the list

6000 miles 2006 g35 coupe 6mt, no mods has been doing it since I brought her home on day one

normally I hear it when I start my car and put it in reverse and back out of garage.....while I'm in the garage or just pulled out regardless of gear

wtf is up with it?

Old 05-11-2007, 10:32 AM
6MT Coupe
^^^Added you. It's easy to do. Copy previous list and paste into your new reply, then add yourself. (just so you know for next time)

1. ByThaBay
2. Fini
3. zipzow
4. jeffy1
6. trey.hutcheson (from the factory) - 32k miles, stillen airbox, ztube, mrev+, test pipes, exhaust - part throttle, heavy throttle, low rpms, WOT, cool, hot
8. SHaigh (stock, discovered @6K miles, when engine is very warm, details in other thread)
9. 6MTzer (low rpm's, comes and goes, usually when the outside temp is hot.)Motordyne Plenum Spacer.
11. jdmeg21 - on very warm or hot days, at low rpm while giving heavy throttle - notice it between 1,2,3 - have hks exhaust, stillen intake. If I don't gas it like crazy I don't get the pinging.
12. donkeykong - at around 2k RPM up until around 2.5k RPM with hard acceleration
13. alderran - very slight last summer but now that the weather is getting warmer here I'm noticing it again and it's much worse. Bringing the car in on Wed.
14. 06CPV35 - on hot days and heavy load in low rpms. JWT intake; Injen Dual Ti Exhaust; Engine cover off. Dyno a/f shows lean untill 3200 rpm.
15. AAClaire420 - 6000 miles 2006 g35 coupe 6mt, no mods has been doing it since I brought her home on day one

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 05-11-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:00 PM
thanks 06cpv

=)

Old 06-20-2007, 06:22 PM
1. ByThaBay
2. Fini
3. zipzow
4. jeffy1
15. AAClaire420 - 6000 miles 2006 g35 coupe 6mt, no mods has been doing it since I brought her home on day one
16. mitchelm - 3500 miles on 2006 g35 6mt sedan. No mods, has been pinging since brand new in 1st and 2nd gear 1800-2300rpm.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Lip
Brakes

Originally Posted by Damon
I think everyone is chasing a ghost with their theories. Those who are NA, are more than likely not hearing pinging at all. Those with FI, may be hearing detonation, which is resolved by going two steps colder on plugs and balancing the A/F ratio with more FUEL.

Every A/F ratio of almost every stock VQ (rev up or not) I have seen, has been on the rich side. Like almost every other car out there, it runs rich from the factory.

Have any of you read your spark plugs? What did they look like? The only time this car would ping, is if you had 87 octane in there and were revving it to 6k or greater. Even then, timing would retard. You wouldn't do any damage unless you continually did this.

Knock sensor in an ineffective area? I don't think so. Want to test? Find some bozo with an FI VQ . Connect to the OBDII port with a data logger and take the car for a full throttle run. Count the number of knock hits that is recorded. I gurantee you will see 4 or greater. It is normal and the knock sensor does it's job. Want to see it not do it's job, want to really hear pinging? Bypass the Knock sensor before the ECU with a resistor. Then do a full throttle run

Intake doesnt dissipate heat very well? Are you kidding me?
Yeah, no question I might be out in left field, so bare with me here.
I'm not even sure if it's detonation, or pre-ignition.

I'm hoping if you are more knowledgeable, you'll offer some more detail. In particular, I hope you can articulate what you believe I am hearing, so I don't chase my tail.

An "issue" does exist, if not pinging, I'm not sure what you would call it.

The engine does make a sound, and it sounds like what I've come to know as pinging. The car has 8000 miles showing on the odo and I have yet to check the spark plugs. I'll check the plugs and perhaps a replacement would help as well. My car made the above mentioned "pinging" sound from day 1.
I check the oil religiously.

Who knows, California's fuel mixture available at most pumps might also be part of the issue. Not the octane, but would the amount of ethanol cause what I'm hearing?
If I run 5 gallons of 100(unleaded-race) mixed with 15 gallons or so of 91, the "pinging" is reduced dramatically. Though, still exists at initial step-in(pre-ignition as opposed to detonation?)
When the car is cooler(albeit after the temp gauge reaches normal level), or it's cooler outside, there is less of an issue(i.e. the car doesn't "ping" as much-does this point to heat soak related detonation?).
It's most noticeable at step-in(obviously as the knock sensor doesn't yet have the opportunity to perform it's function) and consistent under part to 3/4 throttle between 2800revs through 4000revs.

I could fry an egg on my intake manifold an hour after the car was shut down.

Originally Posted by Msedanman
Agreed. It would be very obvious.
I've read that the knock sensor can effect as much as 10 or 12 degrees retardation if necessary which should nullify any preignition.

I personally think Damon is right on here too.

C.
Any suggestions? I mean it sounds like you guys have an idea about what may be occurring when we think we are hearing pinging.
Could it be detonation, pre-ignition, California Fuel Mixture or something entirely different?

Last edited by Lip; 06-20-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:51 AM
6MT Coupe
Purely my opinion and I have theories, just haven't had time to implement my ideas.

91 oct I feel plays a big part over all, but it's Cali's stuff so what can you do other than mix with higher oct race fuel (pain in the ***).
Other states I believe offer higher oct like 93-95 which would help a lot. 91 is border-line acceptable for these rev-up VQ's imo and how they're factory tuned.
Cali emission standards doesn't help either. My rev-up VQ runs lean in the lower rpms according to my base a/f dyno pulls. Lean = hotter running and more susceptible to detonation.

Heat soak is my theory to the main problem. My plenum, TB and polished Z-tube is hotter than heck which super heats the intake air.
On cold days (cold and denser intake air) I have no pinging at all. Plus no pinging even on hot days until everything becomes heat soaked, then it pings.

So with 91, tuned lean in lower rpm range and super heated intake air, there's the recipe for detonation.

I'm thinking of trying iso thermal gaskets on my plenum to reduce the heat soak or have my chip reflashed/replaced or try a CAI or all the above. Last thing I want is the knock sensor to kick in, retard my timing and reduce hp, though I'm glad it's there to do it's job. Serious and/or prolonged detonation will beat any engine to death over time.

Detonation, knocking, pre-ignition, pinging in my book mean the same thing. The mixture is exploding rather than burning in the combustion chamber.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:10 AM
Lip
Thanks for the reply. No question, I'd rather not have the knock sensor kill the fun.
I'd really be interested in knowing what your tests yield with regards to the ISO thermal spacers.
The coolant shutoff valve that came with my motordyne kit is not currently installed. That's probably a good place to start.

I wonder how well the after market upper intakes disipate heat?

Lip

Old 03-27-2008, 02:23 PM
1. ByThaBay
2. Fini
3. zipzow
4. jeffy1
16. mitchelm - 3500 miles on 2006 g35 6mt sedan. No mods, has been pinging since brand new in 1st and 2nd gear 1800-2300rpm.
17. NickS - 32k miles - 2005 G35 Sedan, Sport, 6spd

Old 03-27-2008, 03:27 PM
6MT Coupe
Wow...forgot about this thread lol.

Also learned since my last post long time ago, that oil consumption can kill oct rating which will also cause detonation.

No isothermal gaskets on mine yet to test my previous theory. I suffer OC with my revup and still waiting for test completion to qualify me for replacement, so no reason to install those plenum/TB gaskets yet.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm also getting the low RPM pining issue. I'm going to get a OC test soon for my revup.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pinging Spark Knock Pre-Ignition