Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
LOL nice!

Old 12-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by aHero4Eternity
i wonder how much worse it is...id like to hear that in person...

i guess ill just have to see what's up after i put on my HKS

if that doesnt help...i think imma switch to crawford and see if that helps...i have a friend with crawford cats and no symptoms like this...so if i ask nice enough maybe he will let me experiment with his crawfords...
I just took off my FI test pipes and now have the HKS exhaust with OEM cats. The car sounds totally different. I shipped out my test pipes today. When that person receives the test pipes, he will be sending me his Crawford cats.

The Crawford cats was my first engine mod, so they were on with the OEM exhaust. The sound of the exhaust only became deeper...I never heard the sound that is being questioned. I then added the HKS exhaust and the sound only became more exotic...Still no weird rattling sound. Then I switched the cats out for the test pipes and there was rasp, but only at the normal 3500rpms and up. I'm very anxious to get the Crawford's back on the car.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Overglorified Altima
humm...crawford cats seem very tempting right now =/

but like i said..i will wait until i get the HKS installed to see whats up

Old 12-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so wat i saw was that i hear a strange noise when i shift for a second,when the car decelrates and under wot normal driving even in high rpms didnt really show any noise but it did at all those points when under wot the noise was there strangly through the whole powerband not just above 3400. that was wat i just got from my car going around town.(with the windows down)

Old 12-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
It's a good question - and I don't have much of an asnwer than I have a feeling

To me, there is more stress on the car, transmission, engine torque on deceleration or downshifting, so the effect is more promenant.

I thing you can hear it when accelerating too, it just blends better with the engine sound at that time.

Not a great answer....but like I said, I really don't have one either in this case.

There's more stress on the car when youre decelerating? I find that hard to believe but maybe its just me.

My Injen system is less than 5 months old. I got it in late July and had no such noise prior to installing the HFC. It wasnt until I got my car back from the dealer after getting my engine replaced did I start to hear the buzzing/rattling noise. I got my HFC from Tony back in mid-October and did not have this noise at all. When I got my car back from the dealer, at first I thought, "o great, this brand new engine is already rattling. Dont tell me I have to get another replacement with only 400 miles on this engine" But then, I saw this thread and realized that it wasnt my engine, it was in fact my HFC. I have the ceramic version and they make the same noise as Calvin's metallic HFC.

Im looking for an answer as to how we can resolve this issue. Now, if the noise is just a noise, I guess I can live with it as long as the HFC aren't going bad or what not. But if this rattling/buzzing noise is a warning sign to a soon-to-be "fubar'd" HFC, then something needs to be done.

Dont get me wrong, I love my HFC and am very impressed with FastIntentions and their work, Im just curious as to what this noise may be.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:10 PM
Banned
The noise is rasp . The ONLY way to get rid of it , is to restrict the exhaust back up .Your f----- either way . Less power [ no rasp ] more power [ rasp ] Crawford has thier HFC's right on the edge of not making rasp . I have had RT cats [ rasp ] LeBree test pipes [ rasp ] test pipes [ rasp ] Crawford HFC's [ no rasp ] I made the least power with the Crawford HFC's .
I dont know who makes FI HFC's , but if they rasp they flow really well . If they dont rasp they flow less . There is no way around it with this motor . People have tried till thier blue in the face and every combination you can think of . You get one or the other.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Overglorified Altima
i hear rasp when im accelerating...really quickly...aka flooring it

but i dont think it's rasp when i'm decelerating

i could be wrong...i'm just guessing...seriously...i'm no expert

Old 12-04-2006, 04:16 PM
this is not rasp that we are talking about i know what you mean by the rasp but all of these people including myseld have said that this sound does not come around the 3400-4000rpm range and it happens during deceleration. and why would a rasp noise be made when i shift. most people say rasp comes when heavy driving this noise comes from just reving from idle

Old 12-04-2006, 04:18 PM
you are right ahero4eternity this is not rasp im sorry booger but we are talking about a totally different situation

Old 12-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had my crawfords installed a month ago and this same issue came up - i posted but not much feedback.... cold start the rattle is there constantly for 10 seconds or so around 2k rpm's (idle cold start) and is also hear around 1.2k rpm's if held at the right spot when hot.....im not sure what it is, ive been under the car (jack stands) to hear it...and it seems to be coming from the rear end of the exhaust - (stock exhaust atm). and my cats dont seem to be making the noise.....the sound is more of a heavy empty can rolling on a rugged metal sheet......thats wha ti can best describe my rattle as.... or a better example would be 2 vibrating heatshields under the car....

also, if what you guys are describing is a very loud ZZZZZZ which i was getting also, it was my rear bumper that was tapping my stock muffler.....although i have a kenstyle kit, i simply sanded it down so it doesnt touch the muffler and that went away. <----- this made me realize one thing, adding HFC or TP's makes the stock exhaust 1) hotter....my fiberglass bumper is very warm near the trunk after driving and 2) more airflow = more vibrations.... things need to be bolted down tighter or reajusted somehow....my bumper was always touching the muffler wihtout me noticing, and never rattled until i added the HFC.....so im sure our problem is a rattle caused to a more vibrating stock exhaust...

can anyone confirm the sound i discribed? and does anyone with an aftermarket exhaust have this issue as well?

Old 12-04-2006, 04:43 PM
ya i had this problem with my borla and your sound, sounds about right but my exhaust is not touching my bumper so its not that(borla or factory) with factory bumber though

Old 12-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the bumper and the rattle where 2 different things - fixed the bumper, still have that rattle im trying to find =\....hopefully its resolved with a new exhaust...

Old 12-04-2006, 05:20 PM
oh sorry ya maybe post up and let us know i would like a solution

Old 12-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Alright, I am not saying that it is your problem but there is a guy here in GA by the name of Chops who had the FI High Flow cats, his came apart in the inside and that was cause a rattling noise. I am pretty sure that his screen name is the same here. I will send him a PM on the other forum that we usually talk on with a link to this thread.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bambam26
Alright, I am not saying that it is your problem but there is a guy here in GA by the name of Chops who had the FI High Flow cats, his came apart in the inside and that was cause a rattling noise. I am pretty sure that his screen name is the same here. I will send him a PM on the other forum that we usually talk on with a link to this thread.
Do you know if 'Chops' talked to Tony about the issue - I am completely unaware of any FI CAT sets having issues at all. Are you sure they were FI CATS?

Rick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: just got FI metallic HFC, odd noise, suggestions please